Today I went to the farmers market and bought 1 bunch of basil for $2. Of course I knew I would be making fresh garlic and basil pesto to use for a variety of dishes. What I love about pesto is its versatility. You can use it as a sauce on pizza, mix it with cream sauce, toss it with pasta, or on top of chicken and even on salmon.
Although you can buy basil in a jar at your local supermarket, nothing can compare to the taste and color of homemade pesto made from fresh basil and garlic. Anyway you use it, it is a staple recipe to have in your kitchen. Enjoy!
- 2 cups of fresh basil, packed
- 3 cloves of garlic (more of less depending on how spicy you like it)
- ¼ cup of pine nuts
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil *canola oil can be substituted
- ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- A pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, pulsate basil, pine nuts, garlic, and Parmesan cheese until everything is mixed in with each other. Slowly add extra virgin olive oil and pulsate again until everything is fully combined and incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
*Looking for a Cilantro Recipe? Click here.