How To Toast Pecans

by Alice Currah on September 6, 2009. Updated April 27, 2011

toastedpecans1

As summer is coming to a close, holiday baking is approaching. Today I was making salted caramel pecan bars when I realized I wanted to toast my pecans first. What I like about toasting nuts is how aromatic they are as well as the added crunchiness when they are baked. Although you could easily toast pecans/nuts by themselves, when coated with a little bit of salted butter then baked, the pecans go from ordinary to extraordinary. In fact my kids kept on gobbling them up. So the next time you have a recipe which calls for pecans, consider toasting them first. Enjoy!

Toasted Pecans
Recipe type: Snack
Serves: 1 cup

How to toast pecans.
  • 1 cup raw pecans
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl toss the raw pecans with butter until evenly coated. Spread the pecans in a single layer on a non-stick cookie sheet or a lined baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 5-7 minutes until aromatic. Allow to completely cool before eating. Enjoy!

rawpecansbuttersbutterynutspecansonsheet

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 6, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Mmm… Those look so tasty! I love toasted nuts. I often just add a bit of cinnamon sugar with the butter and eat them plain. No baking needed :)

Kamran Siddiqi September 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Yumm! Those are some good looking nuts! (No pun intended!) I love this tutorial because I know a lot of people (*cough* *cough* my step father) who don’t know how to do many things in the kitchen, especially toast nuts. So, next time I ask him to toast some pecans, I’ll give him the link to this post because he needs instructions to do everything.

Jen @ MaplenCornbread September 6, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I have SOOOO many pecans in my freezer from my father in laws trees from LAST year. I need to make these! Yum!

Chris September 9, 2009 at 6:16 pm

When I want to “toast” pecans, I usually lift my glass to them and say something like:

“There are good ships, and there are wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea.
But the best ships, are friendships,
And may they always be.”

Elizabeth Jones December 22, 2011 at 11:35 am

This shows you just how to do it!

jay michael March 17, 2012 at 12:10 am

Not a good guide if pecans are fresh shelled and raw. Baking time should be longer and slower.

pick up artist April 24, 2013 at 2:49 am

magnificent publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector do not understand this. You must continue your writing. I’m sure,
you have a great readers’ base already!

Annette June 14, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Toasted pecans are so good. I liked your idea of a little butter.