Strawberries Dipped in Sour Cream and Brown Sugar

by Alice Currah on March 18, 2010. Updated June 7, 2012

Today I’m sharing with you one of our favorite ways to eat strawberries.  My neighbor and good friend, Alison, first introduced our family to dipping strawberries into sour cream and finishing it off by coating it with brown sugar.   Growing up I used to dip strawberries into regular white sugar.  Just thinking about it brings back so many wonderful childhood memories.  I’ve also dipped strawberries in whipped cream or fruit dip.  But never had I heard of dipping strawberries into bowls of sour cream and brown sugar.  It seemed like a strange combination but I was still very curious about how it would taste.  Would it be too sour?  Would it be gross and unpleasant?

To my surprise… it was truly delightful and indulgent!  The sweetness of the brown sugar paired with the creaminess of the sour cream was unexpectedly perfect.  With just enough brown sugar to enhance the flavor of the strawberries, the slight tanginess of the sour cream added the perfect amount of “pop” to the sweetness of the other two ingredients.  All three elements compliment each other so nicely yet each one stands out on its own.

I would have no problem serving strawberries this way to dinner guests as a dessert.  I should also mention kids love eating strawberries this way.  Enjoy!

<<UPDATE – Fun Fact About This Recipe: I had 2 people email and tweet me regarding the history of this recipe.  James Haller, the chef of the Blue Strawberry restaurant in Portsmouth, New Hampshire was the original person credited with serving strawberries this way.  This was the signature and only dessert served in the restaurant.  He also included the recipe in his cookbook, “The Blue Strawberry Cookbook”.>>

Strawberries Dipped in Sour Cream and Brown Sugar
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 2

A simple fruit dessert using strawberries, sour cream, and brown sugar.
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries, cleaned
  • ½ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
  • ⅓ cup brown sugar
  1. Set out a bowl of clean strawberries, sour cream, and brown sugar. Dip strawberries into sour cream and then again in the bowl of brown sugar coating the cream.

jenn March 18, 2010 at 1:12 am

Ooooo… I haven’t tried strawberries with sour cream before. I love having them with sugar though.

debbe March 18, 2010 at 1:56 am

Try sour cream with sugar and vanilla, it’s addictive! And it works with other fruits too, I first tried it with watermelon.

Emily March 18, 2010 at 2:03 am

Yum! One of my very favorites too…. think I may have to go buy some strawberries tomorrow.

Soozzie March 18, 2010 at 4:09 am

even better: mix the sour cream and brown sugar together for a sauce and drizzle over the cleaned berries…..

Jessica @ How Sweet March 18, 2010 at 7:09 am

I have never tried this before – it sounds delicious!

LoveFeast Table March 18, 2010 at 8:46 am

I remember when I was a little girl, I went to a wedding. I was about 4 years old. I remember a huge bowl of strawberries next to a bowl of 10x sugar. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! It’s the simple things in life that bring the most pleasure!

Divina March 18, 2010 at 10:50 am

I’ve never tried strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar. Better try it before strawberry season is over.

Maria March 18, 2010 at 10:51 am

I bet the added sweetness from the brown sugar is amazing! We have strawberries at home. I know what dessert will be tonight:) Thanks Alice!

Nicole, RD March 18, 2010 at 10:58 am

Yum! This sounds like the perfect treat!

julia March 18, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I made this the other day for my husband who had never had it. I described it as a ‘deconstructed strawberry cream pie’. This really is an AMAZING treat. Refreshing and totally perfect for a sweet tooth without making you feel stuffed and like you over indulged. Great post and pics!

Halee March 18, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Some of my favorite childhood memories are of the huge family gatherings we’d have at my grandfather’s, and one of the things I remember most is the delight of dipping strawberries in sour cream and brown sugar. Thank you for returning that memory to me! I can’t wait to enjoy this treat again!

Kate @ Savour Fare March 18, 2010 at 2:03 pm

This is tried and true in my family, too, and is my mother’s (who is not a baker) go-to dessert. Her favorite way to serve is with creme fraiche and raw sugar, but we’ll go with sour cream and brown in a pinch.

Dawn (KitchenTravels) March 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm

We did this all the time growing up. It’s a great combination. Actually, sour cream and brown sugar together is really delicious even just on toast. Wierd, I know, but once you taste it you’ll see what I mean. :)

Shawna March 18, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Mmmm… I just finished eating this tasty treat! It’s a great combination. I will share this with others:o)

Lisa March 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm

try adding black pepper to the brown sugar – you’ll be amazed at what happens, the acid in the strawberry pops up because of the pepper and delights your mouth. About a 2 – 1 ratio of sugar – pepper, and you’re good to go.

Dana March 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I’ve made something like this before called a Rebecca sauce where you mix sour cream with brown sugar and add a little vanilla. Truely a delight over any kind of berries.

alice March 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I’ve been told dipping strawberries in sour cream and brown sugar started in the late 60′s. Based on several comments here, it would appear many people had this in their childhood. I just discovered it for the first time a couple years ago. I love it when old ways of doing things become new again. Thanks for sharing all your comments and stories behind this post!

Michelle March 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm

This is such a great idea. I love the contrast of the sour cream and the crunchy brown sugar. Wish I had some fresh strawberries right now.

Jenny March 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm

My family has a strawberry farm in Washington – we have tried many different strawberry recipes over the years. All of my friends have always thought I was crazy when I ate my strawberries like this…until they tried it. It is such a good combo! Thanks for highlighting this fun recipe!

Veronica Miller March 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Oh, this sounds lovely! Thanks for sharing this neat idea.

Lexi March 18, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I live in Seacoast NH (about 10 minutes from Portsmouth) and didn’t know this recipe had originated here. I was raised in VA but my Mom went to school in NH so it makes sense that she would have known about this from The Blue Strawberry. I absolutely love eating Strawberries this way, so much better than granulated sugar. I always serve this (and for my picky friends don’t tell them it’s sour cream. I let them assume it’s whipped cream so that they will try it.) I have never had someone dislike this “recipe”

katklaw777 March 19, 2010 at 5:21 am

I was in HS(1970) when my older brother brought this recipe home from college.
At school they called them “Mortal Sins” and they were said to be used to impress a girl! I think hand feeding was part pf the equation.
I have been eating fresh strawberries this way since then and have even impressed a few boys with it. My husband loves them this way.

Dana March 19, 2010 at 11:27 am

Growing up we always mixed brown sugar with sour cream as a sauce for strawberries. Actually it was always my job to make the sauce – I always tried to add extra brown sugar, with both my parents preferring more sour cream. It’s still one of my favorites. I might have to go buy some strawberries today!

Ingrid March 19, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Glad you found the recipe! Have eaten strawberries this way at many parties! Think I’ll bring home the idea! Thanks!

Traci March 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm

This is a crazy (in a good way) idea. I am absolutely going to introduce it to others.

Jennie March 19, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I read about this combination when my kids were little (in Good Housekeeping maybe?). Tried it with them and they loved it. It’s been at every party or family gathering since then and everyone is amazed at how good they are this way!

Melanie Craddock March 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm

oooooh! I’m so glad you posted this! a great bistro called Legends, in my hometown of Norman, OK used to serve this for dessert!! I had forgotten about it.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Oh yum! This is such a great idea… I can’t wait for strawberries to be in season here. I look forward to giving this a try!

Kim-Erin March 23, 2010 at 1:42 am

Ok…this is so funny…just yesterday I shared with someone that this is a favorite dessert of mine. I worked at a hotel where it was an amenity sent to your room for a night dessert cap. I was about to blog it, too!
I found you on tastespotting ;-)

Laurie March 26, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I learned about this in my 20′s (now knockin’ on 50′s door). My girlfriend and I used to sit by the pool and eat this treat. It is simple and yummy, yet you can serve it and make it very elegant as well. Haven’t had it in a few years. I think it’s time!

pita bread March 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I love strawberries and I love sour cream, so I don’t see why I wouldn’t love them together. But until I try it, my fave are strawberries with balsamic vinegar, yum.

Jen April 7, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I too love this treat. Learned of it while babysitting when I was about 12. We used to also dip apples and bananas. So delish!!!

Bernice April 25, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Mm…brown sugar…great idea! I usually dip strawberries into plain yogurt, but I’ll definitely try this out too!

Kate June 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm

The Blue Strawberry was one of our favorite restaurants. So glad you’re getting the word out about this amazing desert!

Kate in Columbus, Ohio

Rebecca October 23, 2013 at 4:43 am

Brown sugar sour cream straberries so so so yummo!