Tonight we ate these delicious Citrus Ginger Teriyaki steaks and boy were they good. Even my kids commented several times how much they LOVED the sauce. I wasn’t sure how this recipe would turn out considering I started preparing dinner at 6pm and we were eating it by 6:45pm. In the end I was impressed with the Asian inspired sauce after a minor tweak I made. I am also giving away the 2nd and final $100 Visa gift card swag bag sponsored by the National Beef Association. You can read more about this at the bottom of the post but for now I want to talk more about this recipe.
Because my family was starving and I didn’t want to slow down to getting dinner ready I didn’t’ take any pictures of the process other than the ingredient picture and a couple final shots. However I will walk you through the process and it shouldn’t be at all difficult.
The way I prepared the sauce was by throwing everything (but the steaks) into a food processor. You could easily use a blender as well. If you have neither, just chop the garlic and ginger by hand. I mixed everything up and poured 1/3 of the sauce in a zip lock bag. I added the steaks to the bag and sealed it up. While the steaks were marinading I prepared some steamed rice. I allowed the beef to soak up the sauce for 30 minutes and proceeded to grill them on each side. When the steaks were done, I set them aside on a plate to rest. I took the remainder of the teriyaki sauce and cooked it for a few minutes until it became dark and syrup like. I served each person a steak and poured a few spoonfuls of the citrus glaze on top of each steak. It was a great combination of flavors complimenting one another. I could taste the peanuts, ginger, marmalade, garlic, and the soy sauce base. I was surprised by how much I liked it because I had never heard of those ingredients together before and wasn’t sure if I would like it. Anyway I’ve posted the recipe below. I think this would work really well on kabobs too! Enjoy!
Adapted and used by permission by from “Beef It’s What’s For Dinner”
2 lbs top sirloin steak, cut 1″ thick
1/2 cup teriyaki marinade and sauce
1/3 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
3 large garlic cloves,crushed
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
3 tablespoons sugar
Combine marinade ingredients and
- Combine marinade ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat, whisking just until blended. Remove from heat. Place steak and 1/3 cup marinade mixture in plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once. Reserve remaining marinade mixture for sauce.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Grill or pan fry steak for 4-6 minutes on each side for medium rare steaks. Remove from heat and allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook reserved sauce in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Carve steak into slices. Serve steak with sauce.
To enter today’s final $100 Visa gift card and swag giveaway, you’ll need to take a brief “Lean Cut Personality Match” survey. This is a mandatory step. Once you’ve taken the survey, there will be other opportunities for you to earn additional entries. If you’ve already taken this step from the previous day’s giveaway you can just say so in the comment field.
I took it and it will tell you in the end which type of lean cut beef works best for your lifestyle. For me it was dead-on but as another reader mentioned, it was way off. Either way it is a requirement for this giveaway. So please take about 30 seconds to do this. After you’ve taken the survey, come back here and leave a comment on the type of lean beef cut the survey results showed for you. Let me know if you agree or disagree with their results too.. it will be fun to see how accurate it is.
Here are additional ways for you to earn additional entries – Please leave a SEPARATE COMMENT for each additional entry you decide to participate in.
1) Follow @SavorySweetLife on Twitter (if you don’t already) and tweet about this giveaway ” I just entered to win the final $100 Visa GC sponsored by #savorysweetlife & #BeefAssociation http://bit.ly/a4JeJw. ” Come back here and leave a comment with your Twitter handle letting me know you tweeted.
2) Become a Facebook Fan of Savory Sweet Life. If you’re already a FB fan just leave a comment letting me know and tell me your favorite beef recipe.
3) Become a Facebook Fan of “Beef It’s What’s for Dinner”. After you’ve done this, come back here and leave a comment letting me know you did.
So in total, you can enter up to 4 times. Contest is open to people with US mailing address. Winner will be selected at random (random.org). Contest ends Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 9pm PST. There will be a second contest on Thursday for another opportunity to enter for a second $100 Visa card. Stay tuned. Contest is now closed, thanks to everyone who entered! Congrats Kristen!
Disclosure: The Beef Association provided the swag bag as mentioned above for this giveaway. Savory Sweet Life was also compensated with a gift card to help offset the costs of groceries related to recipes Alice’s is preparing for this series of posts as well as shipping costs associated with mailing prizes to the winner.