Deep-Fried Nutella Banana Wontons

by Alice Currah on August 16, 2010

Good morning!  Hope you all had a lovely weekend.  Today I have a special treat for you.  I will warn you in advance that you will either love me or hate me for these.  Perhaps even both.  But trust me, these lovely Nutella Banana Wontons are worth the love-hate relationship.  Deep-fried to a crispy, golden perfection, these morsels are like potato chips, you can’t eat just one.  Trust me, I tried.  I stop counting after I ate five.  But I am proud to say I didn’t eat the whole batch but instead shared them with visiting family and together they disappeared in five minutes.

These little dessert bites are easy to make and perfect for your next party or potluck.  I’ve even posted over twenty step-by-step photos to help you.  But the recipe and photos aren’t here.  They are over at The Pioneer Woman’s cooking site, Tasty Kitchen.  You’ll find not only this recipe but thousands of recipes submitted by users like you and me.  You can add “friends”, rate recipes, and enter PW’s fabulous giveaways.  And in case you haven’t figure it out, I’ll be contributing there each month.  My user name over there is “Savory Sweet Life”, so look for me there too.  But don’t worry, I’m still very much here too.  TK is one of my homes away from home but like we all know, there is no place like home.

So here’s the Deep-Fried Nutella Banana Wonton Recipe.  Enjoy!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking August 16, 2010 at 8:22 am

Ohh, these look so good! My TK username is julieruble — I’m just getting settled into TK and still need to find all my faves on it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 16, 2010 at 8:24 am

oh my word…i would eat these for every meal for the rest of my life. who needs protein anyway?! :)

Deseree August 16, 2010 at 10:56 am

Alice these look AMAZING! I am a sucker for nutella and love the idea of dessert wontons. I have a recipe for strawberry nutella wontons but have never thought of using banana before. Awesome idea :)

Angie C. August 16, 2010 at 11:34 am

OMG, I lvoe Nutella!!!!! And these look so good!

Asma August 16, 2010 at 11:44 am

These are perfect to make after a long day of fasting! Thanks for the recipe!!

shy August 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Totally agree! i’m planning on making it for iftar this week. :-)

sally August 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Wow! These look fantastic! I think I could use one (or maybe five) right about now.

Laura @ Le'ts Get Homey, Homies! August 16, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Wow, those look great! I could eat about 30 of those…

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 16, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I left a comment over at Tasty Kitchen, but I just had to have another look at these when I saw them pop up in my RSS reader… YUM!

SMITH BITES August 16, 2010 at 6:01 pm

And I’m in deep trouble with this recipe – will not make until I have a crowd cuz honestly, could eat an entire batch!!

Alice @ Someone Who Bakes August 16, 2010 at 8:32 pm

oh my gosh, those look amazing! I adore anything hazelnut, and I’m pretty sure Nutella and banana is one of the most amazing combinations ever. And it’s always nice to “meet” another Alice!

Mark August 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm

OK – these were AMAZING. Seriously! My husband and I thought we could stop eating after 3 each, but we ended up wanting to finish the whole batch. Thanks for another solid recipe!

Jill August 16, 2010 at 11:14 pm

oh goodness, you had me at nutella…but then you added banana and fried wonton and you most certainly sealed the deal!

I have to tell you, I recently discovered your fabulous site, and have been using your recipes like a crazy person ever since! I’m 8 months pregnant and I kid you not, I have made your molten chocolate lava cakes ATLEAST 4 times in the last 3 weeks. I have been going through eggs so fast I had to go buy them in bulk at costco :)

Also, I love all your Asian inspired recipes…I can’t wait to try your Pad thai!

Vivianne August 17, 2010 at 5:58 am

O.M.G! You just threw a kink on my diet with this combo. I absolutely love nutella! (so much so I had to do a blogpost about it) Ingenius combination. I know my kids and I will have a field day with this recipe, it has all of our favorites combined. Thank you, Thank you!

Brittany August 17, 2010 at 4:17 am

No wonder they disappeared so quickly, they look absolutey irresitable! What a lovely combination of flavors and textures. The final photo showing the chocolate filling is crave worthy :o

bostongal81 August 17, 2010 at 10:17 am

I am in heaven! I am making these right after work!

katklaw777 August 17, 2010 at 12:33 pm

OMGosh…I want these badly!
Just out of curiosity do you think I could bake them instead of frying them??? Thanks

Jen August 18, 2010 at 7:45 pm

These are a must-try! Thank you for always posting recipes I want to try .

Elizabeth August 18, 2010 at 8:55 pm

oh.my.god. I have spent the morning surfing blogs, trying to find something to bake on the weekend. the search is over. These are amazing. thank you so much for bringing these into my life!

lacey - a sweet pea chef August 18, 2010 at 11:50 pm

These look so good. Congrats on being featured on Tasty Kitchen and by Ree…very cool! I’ve actually never even tried Nutella before. Weird, right? This needs to change.

Cookin' Canuck August 19, 2010 at 9:00 am

What are you doing to me, Alice? I am not going to be able to resist making these.

G. August 19, 2010 at 5:30 pm

omg…these are deadly. i would eat every last one!!

ThatsSoYummy August 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm

uhhh yummmmm, I have been wanting to make these and ow I know I NEED to, these look delish!

Chelsie Chan September 1, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Oooooh, I made just banana on-like a banana lumpia but in a wonton wrap. Cinnamon, brown & white sugar, toss in some bananas and have a chocolate dip (in a fondue thingy) on the side coz my husband doesn’t like it with chocoloate. Psycho, I know but they were faaaaaaabulous!!!! Mmmm! I never thought about it inside. I blame my husband.

shy August 3, 2011 at 1:02 pm

two questions:
1- can i make them in advance and freeze them?
2- have you tried baking them? if so how did it turn out? i usually try to bake pastry items like these.

i know that me and my hubby will love these. two of our fav things..bananas and nutella..yum!

alice August 7, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Hi Shy,
I have not tried making them in advance. But if they are anything like regular wontons, then you could probably make them but not fry them. Stick them in the freezer and then deep fry them when you’re ready. I have not tried baking them either.

Tony August 8, 2012 at 5:55 pm

MMM. These should be in desserts and not appetizers! Topped with ice cream (in ice cream), some fresh berries on top or a splash of caramel…there are so many variations!