Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

SalsaVerdeChickenRecipe Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings
While flying home Sunday from New York City, I was very glad I packed Pam Anderson’s new cookbook, Perfect One-Dish Dinners: All You Need for Easy Get-Togethers Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings in my carry-on bag.  I received her cookbook in a bag of goodies from an all-day food blogging workshop in Pam’s summer home.  While soaking in all the beautiful photos and recipes in her latest book, I started to make mental notes of which recipes I wanted to try first.  I plan on writing up a formal review in a post soon, but for right now all I can say is this book is gorgeous and practical – my kind of book.  I’ve already cooked out of it three times and I’ve only been home for a few days!!

{UPDATE-August 19} My formal review of Pam’s new cookbook is up along with a sweet giveaway of three copies of her new cookbook.

This recipe for Salsa Verde Chicken is so different in the most comfort food sort of way.  The herbed cornmeal dumplings add a special unique touch to this creamy chicken dish.  It was also very easy to put together.  Although the recipe calls for using the chicken from store bought rotisserie chicken, I used cooked chicken breasts I happen to have in my freezer.  After I had prepared the recipe as written, my kids asked if I could mix in some cooked rice.  I thought this was a creative variation on their part. I definitely plan on making this again in the near future.

As I mentioned above, I will be doing a formal review of this cookbook and… drumroll… I will be giving away three copies!   Stay tuned because you won’t want to miss this one- the cookbook hasn’t even been released yet!

Many thanks to Pam and her publisher who have given me permission to re-print one of her recipes.  If you need dinner tonight, this would really be a great one to serve your family and friends!

chickensalsa Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

chickeninthesalsasauce Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

cornmealdumplingsdry Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

meltingbutter Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

mixingcornmealdumplings Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

mixedcornmealdumplings Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

scoopeddumplings Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

cookedsalsaverddumplings1 Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

Printed with Permission from Pam Anderson’s Perfect One-Dish Dinners: All You Need for Easy Get-Togethers Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

Serves 6

This stew can be made 2 days ahead up to the point of making the dumplings.  Reheat it before topping and baking.  If you wan to double the recipe, use a large heavy roasting pan set over two burners.

Chicken

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth

1 jar (15 ounces) salsa verde (2 cups)

1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk

1 large rotisserie chicken, meat deboned and left in large chunks (about 6 cups)

Dumplings

1 cup whole milk

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion greens

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:

Chicken:  Heat butter over medium-high heat in a large (11 – 12 inch), deep ovenproof skillet or 5-6 quart Dutch oven.  Whisk in flour to make a paste.  Mix broth, salsa verde, and evaporated milk and whisk in all at once.  Whisk, vigorously at first, until mixture simmers and thickens to sauce consistency.  Stir in chicken, heat through, and cover to keep warm.  Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.

Dumplings: Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan until steamy.  Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, scallions, and cilantro in a medium bowl with a fork.  Stir in milk mixture to form a smooth, firm dough.  Pinch off Ping-Pong-ball-size peices of dough with your fingers and drop onto chicken mixture.  Return chicken to a simmer over medium-high heat.  Cover and transfer pan to oven and bake until dumplings are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.  Serve.

Drink Recommendation:  A good aromatic while like Viognier or Argentine Torrontes

pin it button Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings

Comments

We LOVE ‘one-pot wonders’, as we call them around here. This is totally going on the fall repertoire.

Sounds like a fantastic cookbook, Alice, I can’t wait to see what else you’ve been cooking up from it!

2. Jenny says

This looks delicious – I think I’ll try this one gluten-free sometime! =D

Tiny thing I noticed – did you mean to write “wine” in the beverage pairing instead of “while”?

I have been OBSESSED with making chicken and dumplings lately (perhaps this foggy, cold San Francisco summer is inspiring me). This definitely looks like a new take I’d like to try.

This Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings is just so good. I will try it this coming weekend. It looks so easy to do and I think I can do it myself. I just wish I can make it perfectly.

I presume this isn’t the same Pam Anderson from Baywatch, right? (ha ha)

Great sounding dish, a neat spin on chicken and dumplings. I love salsa verde and have 1 lb of tomatillos ready to make a batch today, maybe I’ll use it in this recipe.

6. Margaret says

I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand and a Potluck dinner to go to last night. This sounded soooo good, and it was new and different. I gotta tell ya, I was the center of attention last night! EVERYONE wanted the recipe. This was a smashing hit!!!!
    I have a chili /cornbread cook off to attend next month at our boat club and this is going to be my entry. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Ooh… I totally forgot about this cookbook! We left for vacation immediately after the potluck, and my swag bag is still tucked away upstairs in my office. I am definitely pulling out this cookbook and trying a few recipes this week!! Thanks for the reminder.

PS – Your version of the dish looks amazing! Love all of the photos :)

8. Becca J says

Made this for supper tonight and it was fantastic. I especially loved the cornmeal dumplings. Thanks to both Alice and Pam for the sneak preview.

9. Michelle says

I made this for my son and my parents last night. They all loved it! My father really loved the sauce. I added too much cilantro and scallion greens, but it actually ended up alright. The scallion greens made the dumplings have a little more kick. I love it, so I’ll be making this again. Thank you!

10. Corinna says

I tried this recipe for the first time tonight. It was very tasty, but my husband thought it might taste better with smaller dumplings so that you can get enough chicken, soup, and dumpling in each spoonful. I also found that my taste preferred more soup..how much additional broth and evaporated milk should I increase to do this, do you think?

11. bianca says

This.was.AMAZING. So glad I finally tried it! I use broth concentrate so I rounded up to 2C broth, then my salsa verde from Trader Joes was only 12oz, and I used a full 12oz can of 2% evap milk. The sauce was plentiful, thick, and soooo yummy. Thank you!

I made this for dinner tonight. My husband has been unimpressed with my past attempts at chicken & dumpling recipes, but when he put one forkful of this into his mouth, he said, “hey, this is good!” Haha. :) I’ll definitely be making this again. I’d like to find a way to thicken the sauce with cornstarch instead of flour and butter, though, to lighten it.

13. maria says

I doubled this recipe and made it for dinner last night. I loved the flavor of the soup/dumplings, but I think that one batch of dumpings would have been enough. The next time I make this (and there will definitely be a next time), I will make smaller dumplings and add a little more broth/water as the dumplings soaked up a lot of the liquid.