Apple Cinnamon Cheesecake Recipe

by Alice Currah on October 11, 2010. Updated November 23, 2010

[donotprint] Fruit topped cheesecakes are one of my most favorite desserts and  I am really excited to have one of my most favorite baking friends, Jamie Lothridge of My Baking Addiction, share with us her fabulous Fall recipe for Apple Cinnamon Cheesecake.  This dessert would be a great addition to your Thanksgiving menu or for any occasion for hosting family and friends.

I am so excited to be doing a guest post for Alice and Savory Sweet Life. I am Jamie, from My Baking Addiction, and I have a delicious recipe for Apple Cinnamon Cheesecake that I created and want to share with you. I can’t thank Alice enough for allowing me to be a part of her website during my favorite baking season of the year!

I am from Ohio, so when the fall season approaches, it comes in with a bang! It seems as if, overnight, the leaves are turning, there is a chill in the air, and the apples are plentiful.  We went a little crazy last week at our local orchard, picking an abundance of Honey Crisps, Granny Smiths, and Jonagolds. As I stared at two giant bags of apples on my counter, I knew it was time to get a plan together and get to baking…what can be better than a fall spin on a classic dessert?

While strolling around the market, I came across a bag of gingersnap cookies and the inspiration for this cheesecake was born. The buttery gingersnap crust provided the base for the scrumptious pumpkin pie spiced filling, giving the cheesecake that true fall flavor. And now for the finale . . .spiced apple topping reminiscent of grandma’s apple pie filling, full of plump apples with a hint a caramel flavor to give it that extra autumnal appeal.

This recipe is easy enough to prepare for a weekend dinner, but it’s also upscale enough in presentation to serve at a dinner party or your upcoming holiday festivities. [/donotprint]

Gingersnap Crust

1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¾ cup apple cider
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Juice of ½ lemon
2 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Tightly wrap a 9 inch springform pan in heavy duty foil. This step prevents leaks when using a water bath. I also take the extra step by placing the foil wrapped spring form pan inside an oven bag while baking*.

2. Mix together the crust ingredients {gingersnap cookie crumbs, brown sugar, salt and melted butter} and press into the bottom of the pan and about 1 ½ inches up the sides. Bake for 7 minutes and cool completely on a wire rack.

3. Begin to boil a large pot of water for the water bath.

4. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and sugar; mix until smooth {about 2 minutes}. Add eggs, one at a time,
fully incorporating each before adding the next. Make sure to scrape down the bowl in between each egg. Add heavy cream, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla; combine until
thoroughly incorporated and smooth in texture.

5. Pour batter into prepared crust. Place pan into a larger pan and pour boiling water into the larger pan until halfway up the side of the cheesecake pan.

6. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, the edges will appear to be set, but the center will still have some jiggle to it. At this point, close the oven door, turn the heat off, and let the cheesecake rest in the oven for at least one hour, but up to 3 hours. After the recommended cooling time has passed, carefully remove the cheesecake from the water bath and place on a cooling rack to cool completely. Once the cake is completely cooled, place it into the refrigerator for at least 5 hours.

7. Three hours before serving, prepare the apple topping.

8. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. In another bowl, sprinkle apples with the juice of ½ lemon and toss.

9. Melt butter over medium heat; whisk in flour and stir for about one minute. Slowly whisk in the apple cider followed by the sugar and spice mixture made in the previous step.

10. Add in the apples and cook until slightly tender {about 5-7 minutes} stirring constantly. Once apples have reached a desired texture and the sauce has thickened, remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Allow apple topping to cool completely before topping the cheesecake. Arrange apples on cheesecake and chill for at least one hour before serving.

Notes:
1. Need a cheesecake making tutorial? *Check out my how-to video.

2. Not a fan of gingersnaps? Simply substitute graham cracker crumbs.
3. No pumpkin pie spice available? Substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon allspice and 1/2 teaspoon cloves (all ground spices).

Storage:
Cheesecake will store covered and refrigerated for up to three days.

Jessica @ How Sweet October 11, 2010 at 1:08 pm

gingersnap crust?! this cheesecake sounds divine!

Maria October 11, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Great to see you here Jamie! Love you both:) I am loving the gingersnap crust. Fantastic dessert for the fall season!

Kelly @ EvilShenanigans October 11, 2010 at 1:13 pm

What a beautiful looking cheesecake! Now, if only I had a slice to sample! ;) Beautifully done!

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 11, 2010 at 1:19 pm

i used to make this exact same cheesecake when i lived in dallas…why oh why have i not brought this goodness to colorado yet?! yours looks absolutely stunning!

Amber October 11, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Oh goodness, you both were holding out on me! If I’d known this post was coming, I would have made James stock up on apples at the farmer’s market on Saturday while we were off galavanting in San Francisco!

Kristen October 11, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Oh this looks like one gorgeous and delicious cheesecake!

the blissful baker October 11, 2010 at 1:55 pm

this sounds like an AMAZING cheesecake! i made something similar recently – a caramel apple cheesecake pie. it has a graham cracker crust, followed by a layer of caramel and nuts, then apple filling, topped with a thin cheesecake layer, and finally whipped cream and more caramel! delicious!

sara October 11, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Oh wow, this cheesecake looks INCREDIBLE!! Yum. :)

Michelle October 11, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I was looking for the perfect excuse to finally buy a spring-form pan, and this is it!

Kiran October 11, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Yummylicious! I love cheesecake and this one has my name all over it :D

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets October 11, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Great shot and the recipe sounds delicious. I must not ever use enough crust because I can never get mine to come half that high.

Tracey October 11, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I haven’t had cheesecake in ages, but now, I’m fiending for some! This looks so delicious, Alice!

Cookin' Canuck October 11, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Jamie, what a beautiful cheesecake! The gingersnap crust would put a great kick into the crust.

Somehow, we never met at BlogHer Food. I’m sorry I missed you and hope I get a chance to meet you another time.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker October 11, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Totally awesome cheesecake! Me want, right now.

Traci October 11, 2010 at 5:59 pm

thanks for posting an apple recipe! I’ve been trying to find ways to use all those apples that are sitting in my basement up. this looks too good to refuse!!

Tamara October 11, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Your blog is making me drool……and wish I had more time for cooking!

Amanda October 11, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Yay! So happy to see Jamie here… and loving this recipe! It is beautiful!

Vanessa October 11, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Wow that looks so tasty! I love me some cheesecake!

Amy October 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Beautiful Jamie! Looks like the perfect dessert for me to try in the next few weeks.

Sharlene October 12, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Oh yes! This looks like a wonderful way to use up more of the apples we picked this past weekend. Gorgeous and LOVE the flavors you have here!

ShawnsPlate October 12, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Beautiful cheesecake…I love using gingersnaps for my crusts, they make all the difference for desserts flavored with cinnamon, apple pie spice, etc.

Aimee @ Simple Bites October 12, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Three cheers for cheesecake! Love your original take the incorporated some of my favorite flavors of autumn. Thanks for sharing.

Nutmeg Nanny October 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm

This looks amazing! I’m digging the gingersnap crust…yum!

Steak Marinade October 13, 2010 at 11:47 am

This cheesecake sounds delicious, now that’s what’s good for a desert after a wonderful dinner.

daphne October 14, 2010 at 1:52 am

this gets me excited. . .This just looks too tempting for words=) In love with the cake.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} October 14, 2010 at 8:47 pm

This looks too good to be true! Lots of my favorite things all in one recipe. This is definitely going on the must try list for Thanksgiving. We always choose a few new recipes each year. As a side note: when I first read it, I read “spiked cheesecake” instead of “spiced.” LOL

make my day October 14, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cheese cake topped with apple before?! looks beautiful! cheers kari

Lisa A October 15, 2010 at 4:14 pm

This recipe looks great! I am in the middle of making it for a party tonight! I noticed that there are directions for putting nutmeg in the topping, but no ingredient amount. I’ll be guessing a quarter to half teaspoon!

Avril October 17, 2010 at 8:56 am

Wonderfullly DEE-licious! I am so making this cheesecake for Thanksgiving…if not sooner! :-)

pigpigscorner October 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm

This sounds awesome! Bookmarked!

Heavenly Housewife October 19, 2010 at 4:21 am

What a delicious looking apple treat. I have so many apples this Fall from my trees and can’t figure out what to do with all of them. A girl can only eat so much applesauce LOL. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
*kisses* HH

Stephanie Meyer (Fresh Tart) October 19, 2010 at 8:57 am

Beautiful, stunning photo! *Love* it! The styling says it all, seriously, it’s perfect. And delicious…

Elizabeth October 19, 2010 at 11:18 am

Lovely recipe, I LOVE the gingersnap crust and that apple topping is calling my name right now (8 am)…:)

I love a good cheesecake and this looks like one I would dive right into.

Good to see you over here as well Jamie!

Helene October 19, 2010 at 11:57 am

I love any cheesecakes. The gingersnap crust sounds so good. Love the picture.

Adelina October 19, 2010 at 12:28 pm

This sounds like a wholesome dessert to serve at a family dinner! I love the tip on preparing the springform pan – I’ll have to try that!

Thanks for posting!

The Crafty Penguin October 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm

This sounds delicious – I love anything cheesecake-related!

tobias cooks! October 19, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I have to try this one. Looks fab.

Patricia Scarpin October 21, 2010 at 8:19 am

This is luscious! I’ve been on a cheesecake kick lately and this apple version would be lovely to try.

MJ October 25, 2010 at 2:49 am

This looks so delish! Thanks also for the helpful tips at the end… i always love having some options for substitutions. Can’t wait to try it!

Rose Plated October 27, 2010 at 2:56 am

This looks wonderful. I think I should try this out. But one quick question, what does preheating do to an oven or what does preheating the oven do to a recipe? I am not that quite knowledgeable about baking so I just want to know exactly what is the purpose. LOL

Melanie Big November 7, 2010 at 1:07 pm

This is so mouth watering! I can’t resist this one and my hubby will surely make angry if I ask him to bake some of this for me. Lol. Or maybe this will be the time to bake for my own. Thanks for this recipe and wish me luck to make it right.

Sara Sonntag November 15, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Made this cheesecake over the weekend and it was delicious!! It has now moved up to the top 3 in our household! My son and daughter-in-law said they want me to make it for Thanksgiving instead of the traditional pumpkin pie! This is a winner for anyone who loves cheesecake!

MaiCarInMtl November 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe with us! I’ve decided that I will be making this cheesecake for my husband’s birthday this Friday. I must admit that I will be making a few small substitutions so that our recent return to the gym and healthy-eating habits don’t completely get voided. I’ll be reporting back to let you know how it turns out. I can’t wait! Is it Friday yet?!

Amity December 2, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving, and the family raved! Thanks for a great recipe.

Rebecca S June 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I made this for the family, and it was such a hit! Thanks!

Sarah September 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Currently, I’m in the cooling stage of this delightful cheesecake! It smelled so wonderful when I mixed it, and baked it.
One thing I was confused about: In the list of ingredients for the topping. There wasn’t any mention of nutmeg. Then as I came to the directions, I was told to mix in the nutmeg, but no mention of brown sugar. So I decided to just add the brown and white sugars as well as the nutmeg! It smelled good.