- Nonstick oil spray
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- cup vegetable oil
- cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water or coffee
- Spray a 1½-quart soufflé dish with oil and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, ¾ cup of the granulated sugar, and ¼ cup of the cocoa in a mixing bowl. Add the milk, vanilla, and oil, and mix into a stiff batter. Scrape into the prepared dish and smooth the top.
- Mix the brown sugar, the remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar, and remaining ¼ cup cocoa in a small bowl; sprinkle in an even layer over the top of the batter. Pour the boiling water or coffee over all.
- Set the dish inside a 6-quart slow cooker and cover the top of the slow cooker with a folded kitchen towel, and then with the cooker lid. Cook on high for 2½ hours, or until the top of the cake is set and the bottom is still syrupy.
- Cut into wedges or spoon onto plates, using the syrup on the bottom as a sauce
I know what you’re thinking…. you’re looking at the photo above and wondering what the heck is that glorious chocolate dessert which you are now smitten with. It’s called chocolate pudding cake, and I know… you want to make it right now, don’t you?! Lucky for you, author – Andrew Schloss and his publisher – Chronicle Books want you to have this recipe from of the Art of the Slow Cooker cookbook. Before we get to the recipe, I want to tell you more about this cookbook and a new iPhone/iPad App of the same name.
The cookbook is a collection of 80 slow cooker recipes perfect for everyday cooking accompanied by GORGEOUS photos. Some of the other desserts in this cookbook include:
Slow Cooked Brandy Cheesecake
Ricotta Vanilla Bread Pudding
Caramelized Brown Betty
Savory recipes include:
Slow Cooked Teriyaki Chicken
Bistro Beef Stew
Slow cooker recipes never looked so good! And for those of you with iPhones and iPads, there is a newly released Art of the Slow Cooker App available for $3.99 on ITUNES.
The App features:
-30 delicious recipes for the slow cooker with easy-to-follow steps
-20 enticing photos of finished meals
-Handy search function helps you find meals by a favorite ingredient
-Easy-to-use shopping list allows you to add one or many recipes to a list or to combine lists for multiple recipes into one shopping list.
-Facebook, Twitter and email features help you share your favorite recipes (and photos of finished dishes!) with friends and family!
Here’s the exciting part for Savory Sweet Life readers. Andrew Schloss and Chronicle Books is giving away a copy of Art of the Slow Cooker cookbook and a complimentary Art of the Slow Cooker iPhone/iPad App to 2 winners of this giveaway! All you need to do is leave a comment telling me your favorite slow cooker recipe or iPhone App. Contest is open to those with US mailing addresses and will close Sunday, Dec. 19, 2010 at 9pm PST. Winners will be chosen by Random.org and updated here. Congrats to Becca J. and Sarah H!
As mentioned at the beginning of this post, here’s the recipe for that gorgeous Chocolate Pudding Cake, republished with permission by Chronicle Books.