Roasted Baby Potatoes with Truffle Salt

by Alice Currah on June 20, 2011

It’s often said, “Everything tastes better with bacon.”  But I would like to make an argument for truffle salt making even the most simple food like popcorn seem gourmet.  Truffles are a very rare and expensive fungi.  This is why truffle salt is used as a flavoring accent elevating dishes from ordinary to extraordinary.  Just a pinch goes a long way and is worth the $20 price for a 3.5 ounce bottle.  For anyone who hasn’t tried truffle salt before, I know what you’re thinking.  There is no way you would pay $20 for a little flavoring salt.  You think this now, but if you try it, you might be singing it’s praises.. so don’t knock it until you try it.

A couple weeks ago I bought these beautiful and colorful baby potatoes.  I roasted them with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper.  Once I removed them from the oven I sprinkled just a little bit of truffle salt over them for flavor and some chopped parsley for color.  The moment I set them on the table, my kids as well as their friends gobbled them like appetizers.   I think it’s worth mentioning not a single child asked for ketchup – a mother’s victory.

So if you get a  chance to come across some truffle salt, make these roasted potatoes.  They are seriously AMAZING!

PS:  A small jar will last you a very long time and you’ll be glad you invested in an ingredient which makes you look like a gourmet chef.

Roasted Baby Potatoes with Truffle Salt
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 4

Roasted Potatoes with Truffle Salt
  • 1½ pounds baby potatoes, cut in half
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon truffle salt
  • 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the potatoes with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the potatoes for 20 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a serving dish and toss with the truffle salt. Garnish with chopped parsley.

Katie June 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Such beautiful, colorful potatoes! Where in Seattle did you go to buy your truffle salt?

Jessica @ How Sweet June 20, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I firmly believe in bacon, but I love truffle salt/oil too. SO good.

Kelly June 20, 2011 at 8:51 pm

oh my gosh. This looks amazing!

Zo @ Two Spoons June 20, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Oh my…how had I not thought of this before?! Also love the mix of potatoes! Who would have thought the potato could be such a colour fiesta…

Julie June 20, 2011 at 9:25 pm

ooh yes please! I have some potato condos growing out back, with purple and red potatoes – can’t wait to make this!

Liz June 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm

These look awesome. I am inspired for a great summer side!

RJ (Kids and Cast Iron) June 20, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I have never had truffle salt…. think I might have to give it a try!

Sara@BakingandWine June 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Oh wow, those look delicious! I’ll be making some roasted potatoes this week as well. If only I had truffle salt! Yum!

Strawberry CAKE June 20, 2011 at 11:00 pm

GASP! I make these all the time, but never with truffle salt. Fabulous!

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon June 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

Alice, I am ashamed to admit that I had a container of truffle salt for a year and a half before I ever opened it up. To say that it is amazing is an understatement. The next time I make roasted potatoes, I’m going to reach for my stash and fancy it up.

Michelle June 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

My favorite bar in Bellingham serves french fries with truffle oil, that was the first dabble with truffle oil. I have kept my eyes peeled for salt but haven’t been able to come across it where I currently live. The stuff really is amazing and the smell is incredibly fragrant

brandi June 21, 2011 at 10:07 am

These look perfect. Roasted potatoes are one of my favorite things, especially the little multicolored ones.

Staci June 21, 2011 at 10:46 am

Both Amazon.com and Ebay have sellers selling the truffle salt. Mine is on it’s way!

Shawna June 21, 2011 at 11:08 am

Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table also sells truffle salt!

Bluebirds and Butterflies June 21, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Hi there,
This recipe looks fabulous! I love potatoes and also love sea salt. Can’t wait to try this recipe on my family. You have a wonderful blog, and I enjoyed visiting you today. I will add your blog to my own list of “other nests to visit” on my own blog, Bluebirds and Butterflies. I will definitely be back to see what you post next! Have a happy day! xoxo Kim

Lisa June 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I love truffle oil, I use it often. Didn’t know there was truffle salt, will try it for sure!

Kerri June 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

That sounds amazing! Truffle salt is a favorite, but now going to add it to our potatoes from our CSA.

Thanks!

Daniel June 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I’d love to try this. I’ve never had truffle salt. Is there a brand you recommend?

Tracey June 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

They’re almost too pretty to eat! Do regular grocery stores carry truffle salt?

alice June 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Hey Tracey!
I doubt a place like Safeway would carry this but Whole Foods might. You can also buy truffle salt from Amazon.com!

Beth B June 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I haven’t even thought about buying truffle salt but will now do so.

Has anyone ever used truffle butter? Ina Garten has a recipe for pasta with truffle butter but it is so expensive that I hesitate to buy it unless I know it’s worth the price.

alice June 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Hi Beth,
I’ve made my own truffle butter by making a butter compound of softened butter and truffle salt. It is fabulous on pastas and steak.

JulieD June 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I love the simplicity of this recipe. And as a non-ketchup eater, hooray that they didn’t ask for it! :) I can’t wait to try this, I’ll definitely keep my eyes peeled for truffle salt.

Katrina June 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm

These look fantastic! Yum!

Niki (of SI) June 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Mmm, simple and beautifully colorful. I’m also in Seattle… do you mind sharing where I can find the truffle salt – and better yet, where you happened upon the colorful baby beauties? :)

alice June 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Hi Niki,
There is the Truffle cafe at Pike Place Market which sells all things truffles. You can also find it at Central Market in Shoreline and I assume Whole Foods might carry it, too.

Tickled Red June 22, 2011 at 10:00 am

We so need to live closer to each other for many lovey, wonderful, fabulous reasons as it is. A love of potatoes and truffel salt is just the cherry on top now :) xoxo

Rocky Mountain Woman June 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Truffle salt rocks! and a little goes a long way, so a bottle lasts for quite a while…

lovely recipe!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert June 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I’ve never heard of truffle salt until now! I will be searching the grocery aisles because your potatoes look amazing. Yum.

Skinny Fat Kid June 23, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’ve had truffle oil, but never truffle salt. I might have to check this out. Nothing beats that smell of truffle oil wafting through a restaurant. Makes me want to eat everything in sight!

goodeatsbykmuir June 24, 2011 at 8:48 am

Its like saffron… don’t question the $ amount, just trust it!

Shar June 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I love baby potatoes. Yours are so colorful, that’s fun.

Sarah C. June 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Hi! Love your blog. I ordered truffle salt (from Amazon — only $14/jar) after you suggested it and used it on potatoes last night. I adore the flavor in the salt WAY more than over-the-top truffle oil. So much less pungent. Thanks for teaching me something!

Maureen June 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Please come and cook for me for the rest of my life. What a wonderful dish this is. I wouldn’t have access to potatoes like this unless I grew them and I need dirt for that. I can live through your photos though. :)

I WILL find truffle salt though. I’m sure that’s available down under.

Corinna June 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm

On amazon, I see there is white and black truffle salt available. Which kind should I purchase?

Thanks.

alice June 25, 2011 at 12:20 am

Hi Corinna,
I use black truffle salt but would be curious to know how the white truffle salt tasted like.

Jamie | MBA June 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Such a simple yet lovely recipe. I have never had truffle salt, but now I’m on the hunt.

joan June 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Your blog is amazing. No wonder it is included in Online Top 50 Best Food Blogs and my congratulations for being included in the list. Cooking is not an easy task, you must have the passion in order to get the taste that you wanted and most especially the taste that other people wanted. I am not one of the best chefs but I believe when cooking you must have the extraordinary feeling or inspiration to make things happen. Your the BEST!!!!

Joy July 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I have never heard of truffle salt before but it sure sounds good.

Liz July 5, 2011 at 6:25 am

I have some truffle salt in my cabinet but havent known where to add it. I do now! Thanks for sharing!

TenDesires July 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm

It looks so oishii !

kyleen July 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I love how the potatoes are so colourful. My friend went to Italy last year and brought us back a small container of white truffle salt. I agree wholeheartedly that it makes everything taste AMAZING.

jon July 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm

So this recipe was pretty good. but I tweaked it.
Quartered red potatoes with a splash of olive oil, diced garlic, parsley, salt and pepper , baked on a bed of sliced red onions… and topped with a couple good pinches of truffle salt. Yum!
So really the only change is the garlic and onions which makes for a really good combination when coupled with the truffle salt.

Cathy from Arizona December 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

My Christmas potatoes were amazing! I had people who don’t eat potatoes eating seconds. Everyone wants the recipe. FYI, I found my Truffle Salt at AJ’s in Dana Park in Mesa AZ.