This post is brought to you by Dannon Activia Harvest Picks.
Sunday mornings are for sleeping in and eating brunch. It is the only day of the week where our family isn’t rushing to a basketball game or swim meet. Instead, everyone wakes up when they feel like it and eventually we all congregate in the kitchen. The kids and my husband look forward to a warm hot breakfast where we can sit down and enjoy a family meal at a leisurely pace. It is a nice change to most mornings when we are all trying to get out the door to get the girls to school on time.
Brunch in our home means a very late breakfast which serves as lunch too. I try to make each Sunday special by making one signature dish reserved only for our weekly family brunch. Most of our meals include coffee, orange juice, bacon, eggs, fruit, and a special bread dish or baked good.
Today what I have for you us Stuffed Almond French Toast. The filling is made up of a combination of sweetened cream cheese and sour cream flavored with almond extract. But if you don’t have sour cream, you can substitute with plain or vanilla yogurt. Macerated strawberries are also stuffed inside each slice of soft French bread and then soaked in an egg mixture before frying each side to a golden toasty brown. Dusted with powdered sugar and slivered almonds – this dish is visually stunning as well as delicious. The fruity combination of strawberries, almonds, and a creamy filling makes this dish a must have Sunday brunch type of meal. Enjoy!
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 12 sliced 1 – inch thick
- Garnish – ½ cup confectioner’s sugar and ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- Using an electric hand or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, confectioner’s sugar, and almond extract until light and creamy. Transfer the cream mixture to a a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle the sliced strawberries with sugar and gently stir the strawberries to evenly coat them.
- In a flat based container, beat the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
- Make a deep cut in the center of each slice of bread to form a pocket.
- Remove the cream filling from the refrigerator. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the filliing inside the formed pocket of each slice.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of sliced strawberries inside the formed pocket of each slide.
- Gently compress the opening of the pockets closed.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat.
- Spray the pan with non-stick spray
- Soak a slice of bread in the egg mixture on each of its side. Do this to as many sliced that will fit in the pan comfortably. Cook each side of the French toast until golden brown. Do this until all twelve slices are cooked.
- To finish the dish off, dust each slice with confectioner’s sugar and slivered almonds. Left over strawberries and cream can also be spooned on top of each slice. Serve with maple syrup if desired.