Spiced Sweet Potato Gratin

Sweet Potato Gratin Recipe Spiced Sweet Potato Gratin

Can you believe Thanksgiving is only a week away?  This year we are hosting back-to-back Thanksgiving dinners and our refrigerator is so packed, I’ve plugged in an old dorm refrigerator for the extra space, not to mention two coolers which are housing frozen turkeys I’m trying to thaw.  Thank goodness I can always depend on the colder Northwest weather to be my ultimate fridge storage if need be.

Because I am a sweet potato lover, I also bought a 40 lbs box of them because they happen to be my current vegetable obsession.  As it turns out, orange-fleshed sweet potatoes are an amazing source of beta-carotene which raises the body’s red blood cells due to the increased amounts of vitamin A.  And if you’re wondering why vitamin A is important, it is because it helps with vision, gene production, and strengthening the body’s immune system.  I love them because they are a fantastic post-workout low-glycemic food.  Its slow releasing insulin effect helps with muscle recovery and assists in keeping your metabolism steady.  For me, sweet potatoes provide the right type of energy I need before exercising, particularly brisk walking which I try to get in 3 miles a day, at least 3 days a week.  I also learned in order to get the maximum nutritional benefit from a sweet potato; it should be prepared with a little bit of fat.  Can you say cinnamon butter?  Mmmmmmm.

Today I have a super delicious Spiced Sweet Potato Gratin recipe I will be preparing for next week’s gatherings.  It is not overly sweet like its traditional marshmallow-brown sugar cousin.  Instead, the blend of spices and turbinado (raw) sugar compliments the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes.  This recipe also happens to be gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.

The full recipe can be found here at my weekly PBS Parents column today.  Enjoy!

pin it button Spiced Sweet Potato Gratin

Comments

1. Stephanie S says

This is a perfect recipe for the gluten and dairy challenged household I’m going to for Turkey Day! And I think it may be my something I add to my daily recipe repertoire. Huge fan of sweet potatoes and this looks like something I would want ALL THE TIME! Yep, it’s a keeper :)

• Alice says

Ruthy: I purchased a new full size food processor last week. I had been wanting one for years and they had them on sale at Macys. What I love most about it is it’s slicing blade. Although I have a hand slicer, sweet potatoes are very hard to slice. You’re better off with a sharp knife! So excited for your 1st Thanksgiving with the new baby!

There is no doubt that sweet potatoes are delicious and healthy. If by any chance, groceries and public markets ran out of sweet potatoes, can we use potatoes for this recipe instead?

• says

Hi,
      I’ve not tried it with regular potatoes but I imagine it would be tasty. The recipe works best with orange sweet potatoes because they compliment the spices.

Thanks,
      Alice

3. Debbie Wear says

I made this wonderful recipe today for our healthy thanksgiving dinner (almost everyone are watching carbs now) and it was a tremendous hit! The ones who I was nervous about serving this to are the ones who enjoyed it the most. I’ll be making this many more times! Thank you so much, Happy Thanksgiving

I’m typically skeptical of dishes involving sweet potatoes (recently moved past the flat out refusal to have them), but this looks delicious! I might have to send this one over to my mom to try out sometime this winter.