How to Pipe Frosting Flowers on Cupcakes

by Alice Currah on February 6, 2014

How-to-pipe-frosting-flowers

For anyone who appreciates a cupcake that is as beautiful as it is delicious, you will appreciate my latest PBS Parents episode on how to pipe these gorgeous flowers on top of a cupcake using homemade buttercream.  Using a #104 tip and a piping bag, you can easily pipe a dozen of these cupcakes in about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.  Piping a frosting petal is as simple as making an upside down “U” with the piping tip over and over again while rotating the cupcake.

I love finishing off the cupcakes with either sprinkles or coconut.  Perfect for birthdays, showers, or any special occasion, these cupcakes will make any occasion all the more special.  Watch this video to learn how to pipe these beautiful cupcakes . Enjoy!

How to Pipe Frosting Flowers on Cupcakes

An easy video tutorial on how to frost frosting flowers
  • Buttercream
  • #104 piping tip
  • pastry bag
  1. Fill a pasty bag with half a cup of thick frosting.
  2. Starting at the center of the cupcake, squeeze the bag with the pointed tip facing up at a 45 degree ange and make a mini circle.
  3. Then, make upside down U shape petals over and over again rotating the cupcakes as you go.
  4. Watch the video above to get a detailed look on how to make these beautiful cupcakes.

Jaime {sophistimom} February 7, 2014 at 2:38 pm

So well done, Alice! I’m loving your PBS videos! :)

Shirley February 8, 2014 at 2:30 am

Alice, your cupcakes are gorgeous!

Aiza February 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm

These are beautiful!

Cindy February 25, 2014 at 3:45 pm

This is so fun! You make it look so easy.

Yvonne (Bread Fun) March 14, 2014 at 5:40 pm

How to pipe frosting flowers on cupcakes what an interesting post. These cup cakes look so beauty and delicious and look like a real beauty flower. Theses flower are almost too beautiful to eat.!!!! “What a sensational desert that always pleases”

Yvonne (Bread Fun) March 14, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Chelsea May 30, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Alice, thank you so much for this tutorial! I was assigned to make cupcakes for a baby shower, and after watching this video (a few times) I piped out a dozen that were a hit. As you said, SO EASY once you get the hang of it!

aleli August 21, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Hi Alice! Thank you for sharing your techniques on how to frost a cupcake with flower design. I would like to do this for a birthday party this Sunday. I was wondering if this frosting can hold in an outdoor summer setting? Should I add a bit of shortening? The design is so pretty that I hope it keeps its shape for a long time. I intend to have it covered but it will still be outside.

Hope to hear from you!

Alice Currah August 26, 2014 at 3:01 am

Hi,
Yes, I would add a little bit of shortening to stabilize it. Or, if you could, keep them in a cooler until ready to serve. Hope this helps.