How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam

by Alice Currah on August 7, 2009. Updated April 23, 2011

blackberryjam

I have a love-hate relationship with wild Himalayan blackberries. I love their luscious dark tender berries, but I hate their thorny invasive brambles taking over my yard.  This morning my kids and their best friend made it their mission to pick as many plump juicy blackberries they could in our back yard.  After eating handful after handful, they brought in just over two cups of berries.

girlspickingberries

When I asked what they wanted to make with them, they both said  blackberry jam.  So blackberry jam it is.  This recipe uses no pectin and unless properly preserved, should be eaten within a week. Raspberries can easily be substituted for blackberries and the recipe itself is very easy.  Just remember the number 2.  I hope you enjoy the harvest of this late summer season.
blackberriessmooshedblackberries

*To make seedless jam, strain the berries in a medium mesh sieve before cooking.

sugarberriesblackberriescookingblackberryjam1

How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam
Recipe type: condiment
Serves: 1.5 cups

Homemade blackberry jam or raspberry jam without pectin.
  • Blackberry or Raspberry Jam without Pectin
  • 2 cups crushed blackberries or raspberries (I crush mine by putting all the berries inside a cup/bowl and smooshing them with a spoon)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  1. In a small pan cook blackberries, sugar, and lemon juice on high heat for 5 minutes and reduce to medium heat and cook an additional 15 minutes. Skim the foam off and store in a heat-proof container. The jam will thicken as it cools.

Dave August 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

I followed the direecctions to the tee and the jam turned out Greaaaaat, my question is, why did I not have any foam to scrape off after cooking? Could it have been that the Blackberrys were freshly picked?

kacper.g August 15, 2013 at 7:01 am

you may have had the heat too low..

Kristie August 12, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I never have foam eithor…

Kathryn August 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Can you double this recipe?

Ines September 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Yes, I doubled it and used a bit less sugar. It turned out great. Delicious! Best jam I’ve ever had. Am making some seedless right now and have tripled the recipe.

Lynette Braun August 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm

So you use blackberry jam without pectin as part of the recipe? How much?

joie August 18, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I like it best when I take the time to sieve out the seeds :)

pat August 29, 2013 at 5:26 pm

What do I need to differently to can the jam?

jean newnham September 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

just made this jam it is solid just like toffee. what went wrong?

Ines September 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I cooked the jam 40 minutes instead of 20. Not sure if this makes a difference .

gdj September 4, 2013 at 6:44 am

do not follow this recipe. Mine turned out so hard I can’t get it out of the jar. What a waste of good fruit and suger not to mention my time!

keith June 29, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Then u can’t read or cook my 6 yr old niece made it just like the recipe says n turned out great don’t blame the recipe its the only way to make jam without pectin aka bonedust if u can’t make this ud prolly burn water also its the same recipe and only recipe. since BlackBerrys have been made to jam sorry u can’t cook simple things try a ham sammich u may be able to cook that but i have my doubts

juliette September 19, 2013 at 7:07 am

I made this recipe recently, it was my first time, and the recipe was perfect, thank-you. I did filter out half the pips before putting into a jar. The consistency was perfect, just like an experienced granny, hehe xoxo

Mark Parsons September 21, 2013 at 12:11 pm

How long can I keep this jam when made please?

Alice Currah September 23, 2013 at 2:35 am

Hi Mark,
Up to 2 weeks.

Carol Roberts September 27, 2013 at 5:18 am

Have bottled my jam but it does not seem to be setting.

Anything I can do to thicken it a bit.

M September 28, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Can you use fresh lemon juice or should you use the bottled Real Lemon reconstituted stuff? Thank you!

Andi September 29, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Love this recipe. I’ve used it twice with blackberries and today with raspberries. So much yummier than store bought stuff, and when I get a great deal on berries it helps me to not have half of them rot before I can eat them. Thanks! :-)

Monica November 20, 2013 at 3:56 am

Lovely jam! Had to make fresh biscuits to really enjoy it. I used them in my thumbprint cookies & will use it in my chocolate truffles. I used frozen blackberries & strained them with sieve, but raspberries require cheesecloth to sift seeds out. Flavor & texture is great in both.

Arlene Hall December 31, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Can the blackberry/raspberry recipe above be doubled successfully?

alana January 12, 2014 at 12:08 am

how can you call it homemade if the recipe uses bought jam?
what a DISGRACE!

CJHALE February 10, 2014 at 3:09 am

The recipe is typed up worng, the only ingredents you use are blackberries, sugar, lemon juice. It makes a blackberry jam without using pectin.

TB February 1, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I recommend using 75% less sugar. Really.

Robin May 30, 2014 at 12:46 am

Yeah, I was looking at that thinking geez that’s a ton of sugar. I haven’t made it yet, but if I do it won’t have that much sugar added.

keith June 29, 2014 at 7:17 pm

The sugar is theonly way to make it thick go ahead alter the recipe when u got runny jam that makes a mess don’t say the recipe was bad when its the cook who can’t follow directions a 6 Yr old can

Sandra May 5, 2014 at 10:57 am

I don’t care what recipe I read someone always has something to say to down grade it or the person that posted it.. Please…. If you can’t say something nice just don’t say anything at all.. Take yourself to another site you can agree with totally.. Thank you.. I just can’t get over all the negative thoughts people have..
And if you really didn’t try the recipe, don’t say you did!!
And if you do try the recipe and dont follow it exactly and it doesn’t turn out its no ones fault but yours, so why do you want everyone to know you can’t follow directions :-( ?

Candice July 10, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I must’ve done something wrong. I followed the directions and when I was on the last fifteen minutes I noticed it was getting very sick and then I smelled what smelled like burning. I stopped cooking it five minutes early and tried some on a piece of bread and it was like glue. I couldn’t chew it up and had a hard time getting it off of my teeth.

Kimberly July 18, 2014 at 11:58 am

Alice, can you freeze this jam? Or do you need a different recipe for freezer jam? Will have berries coming out my ears in 2 weeks here. Thanks! It looks amazing!!

Julie July 22, 2014 at 2:00 am

Kimberly,
I’m going to try this jam. And freeze it. I freeze all my jams (one day I may learn to can). I can’t see any reason you couldn’t freeze any jam recipe (just be sure to leave enough head space so you don’t crack your jar!).