How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam

blackberryjam How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam

I have a love-hate relationship with wild Himalayan blackberries. I love their luscious dark tender berries, but I hate their thorny invasive brambles taking over my yard.  This morning my kids and their best friend made it their mission to pick as many plump juicy blackberries they could in our back yard.  After eating handful after handful, they brought in just over two cups of berries.

girlspickingberries How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam

When I asked what they wanted to make with them, they both said  blackberry jam.  So blackberry jam it is.  This recipe uses no pectin and unless properly preserved, should be eaten within a week. Raspberries can easily be substituted for blackberries and the recipe itself is very easy.  Just remember the number 2.  I hope you enjoy the harvest of this late summer season.
blackberries How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam smooshedblackberries How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam

*To make seedless jam, strain the berries in a medium mesh sieve before cooking.

sugarberries How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam blackberriescooking How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam blackberryjam1 How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam

4.9 from 15 reviews
How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam
Recipe type: condiment
Serves: 1.5 cups

Homemade blackberry jam or raspberry jam without pectin.
  • Blackberry or Raspberry Jam without Pectin
  • 2 cups crushed blackberries or raspberries (I crush mine by putting all the berries inside a cup/bowl and smooshing them with a spoon)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  1. In a small pan cook blackberries, sugar, and lemon juice on high heat for 5 minutes and reduce to medium heat and cook an additional 15 minutes. Skim the foam off and store in a heat-proof container. The jam will thicken as it cools.

pin it button How to Make Blackberry or Raspberry Jam

Comments

I followed the direecctions to the tee and the jam turned out Greaaaaat, my question is, why did I not have any foam to scrape off after cooking? Could it have been that the Blackberrys were freshly picked?

• Ines says

Yes, I doubled it and used a bit less sugar. It turned out great. Delicious! Best jam I’ve ever had. Am making some seedless right now and have tripled the recipe.

2. gdj says

do not follow this recipe. Mine turned out so hard I can’t get it out of the jar. What a waste of good fruit and suger not to mention my time!

• keith says

Then u can’t read or cook my 6 yr old niece made it just like the recipe says n turned out great don’t blame the recipe its the only way to make jam without pectin aka bonedust if u can’t make this ud prolly burn water also its the same recipe and only recipe. since BlackBerrys have been made to jam sorry u can’t cook simple things try a ham sammich u may be able to cook that but i have my doubts

• Amy says

Keith, be kind. Those are completely unnecessary comments. Jam is about experimentation. Sometimes we get it right and other times not so much, don’t give up!

3. juliette says

I made this recipe recently, it was my first time, and the recipe was perfect, thank-you. I did filter out half the pips before putting into a jar. The consistency was perfect, just like an experienced granny, hehe xoxo

4. Andi says

Love this recipe. I’ve used it twice with blackberries and today with raspberries. So much yummier than store bought stuff, and when I get a great deal on berries it helps me to not have half of them rot before I can eat them. Thanks! :-)

5. Monica says

Lovely jam! Had to make fresh biscuits to really enjoy it. I used them in my thumbprint cookies & will use it in my chocolate truffles. I used frozen blackberries & strained them with sieve, but raspberries require cheesecloth to sift seeds out. Flavor & texture is great in both.

• CJHALE says

The recipe is typed up worng, the only ingredents you use are blackberries, sugar, lemon juice. It makes a blackberry jam without using pectin.

• Robin says

Yeah, I was looking at that thinking geez that’s a ton of sugar. I haven’t made it yet, but if I do it won’t have that much sugar added.

• keith says

The sugar is theonly way to make it thick go ahead alter the recipe when u got runny jam that makes a mess don’t say the recipe was bad when its the cook who can’t follow directions a 6 Yr old can

6. Sandra says

I don’t care what recipe I read someone always has something to say to down grade it or the person that posted it.. Please…. If you can’t say something nice just don’t say anything at all.. Take yourself to another site you can agree with totally.. Thank you.. I just can’t get over all the negative thoughts people have..
    And if you really didn’t try the recipe, don’t say you did!!
    And if you do try the recipe and dont follow it exactly and it doesn’t turn out its no ones fault but yours, so why do you want everyone to know you can’t follow directions :-( ?

• Candice says

I must’ve done something wrong. I followed the directions and when I was on the last fifteen minutes I noticed it was getting very sick and then I smelled what smelled like burning. I stopped cooking it five minutes early and tried some on a piece of bread and it was like glue. I couldn’t chew it up and had a hard time getting it off of my teeth.

7. Kimberly says

Alice, can you freeze this jam? Or do you need a different recipe for freezer jam? Will have berries coming out my ears in 2 weeks here. Thanks! It looks amazing!!

• Julie says

Kimberly,
      I’m going to try this jam. And freeze it. I freeze all my jams (one day I may learn to can). I can’t see any reason you couldn’t freeze any jam recipe (just be sure to leave enough head space so you don’t crack your jar!).

8. Brenda says

Thank you so much for this recipe :) My Daughter age 7 and I are spending a girls day. We picked a bunch of blackberries and set out to make some goodies. We decided jam was on our to-do list. My daughter had no trouble reading and following the directions and both batches she prepared turned out really good.

9. Megan says

I loved making this & even tried a little before I put it in the jar…my question is – is it to be refrigerated when done?? I did it to mine & it is as solid as a rock :( I had no trouble when cooking and I thought everything was right…can you advise/help – I would like to make again. Thank you

• says

Hi Megan,
      You will need to reduce the cooking time by 5-8 minutes. As the jam cools, it will get thicker. If the jam is cooked for too long, the sugar in the jam will turn it into candy.