Alice’s Blueberry Muffins

by Alice Currah on April 24, 2010. Updated April 30, 2011

[donotprint]
I love blueberry muffins. I don’t know if it’s possible to love them too much but nevertheless, nothing beats homemade blueberry muffins – wouldn’t you agree?  Last Thursday my baby boy, Eli, turned two years old. Because we had just returned from a week long trip days before his birthday, we decided not to have a birthday party. Instead, I made these yummy blueberry muffins for his birthday and stuck a candle in it.

What I love about blueberry muffins is the denser texture and how less sweet they are compared to cake.  I used frozen blueberries and all the other ingredients I typically have on hand.  I love spreading a little pat of butter on them before biting into it with bursts of sweetened berries to savor.  This recipe also has a little bit of lemon zest and juice.  The lemon flavor is subtle but enough to compliment the blueberries in the most delightful way.  I also add a little bit of turbinado (raw sugar) on top of each muffin before baking for a nice little crunch.  You could easily substitute white sugar crystals.

If you’re in the mood to bake some love for your family, may I suggest these blueberry muffins?  Enjoy! [/donotprint]

Alice’s Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Recipe type: Sweet Bread
Serves: 12

Lemon infused blueberry muffins.
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • optional ¼ cup turbinado sugar/sugar crystals
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl, cream sugar, butter, oil, and lemon zest for 3 minutes until light in color and creamy on medium speed using a mixer. Add sour cream, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract beating for 2 minutes. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt gently mixing everything for an additional minute until everything is fully incorporated, approximately 2 minutes. Batter will be nice and thick. Gently fold in the blueberries. Line a muffin tin with paper cups and pour batter ¾ full into each muffin cup. For prettier muffins, top each muffin with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar or sugar crystals. Bake for 12 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for an additional 12-15 minutes or until the center of the muffins springs back when touched.

Sandy a la Mode April 24, 2010 at 7:20 pm

YUM, this looks absolutely delish! And I LOVE that you added raw sugar to the top for an extra crunch! I should totally make these b/c my favorite fruit is blueberries and I need a quick ready to go breakfast since I hardly have time to cook a real meal breakfast! Thanks for sharing!

millys mini kitchen April 24, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Amazing! I’m looking for a good blueberry muffin recipe, and this looks so fresh. I’ll definately give it a try.

Mark @ Cafe Campana April 24, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Great looking muffins. I like how there are large pieces of fruit visible. I like eating these straight from the oven where the fruit is still boiling hot.

heather April 24, 2010 at 8:21 pm

i can’t remember the last time i had a blueberry muffin. we used to have them all the time as kids — out of the box, mind you, but still good. since i’ve grown up and learned homemade is always better, i should relive my childhood and give these a go!

cheers,

*heather*

Carmen Henesy April 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm

These sound especially good to me because of the lemon juice and lemon zest. I need to pick up some blueberries to make them for tomorrow’s breakfast!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 24, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Those look like some of the best blueberry muffins I’ve ever seen!

Laura T. April 25, 2010 at 12:51 am

These were durn tasty! I made them this evening!

Ben / letsstartsimple.com April 25, 2010 at 9:43 am

Bookmarked! I will definitely make some of those next week!

Maria April 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I made blueberry muffins with a cream cheese filling last week-they were delicious. I will have to make these next. They look divine!!!

Suzanne B April 25, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I love blueberry muffins and these look divine! Do the frozen berries need to defrost any before using?

thanks, Suzanne

alice April 27, 2010 at 1:12 am

Hi Suzanne,
No need to defrost the berries. Just gently fold them in right after you’ve made the batter. Hope this helps!
Alice

Maggy @ Three Many Cooks April 25, 2010 at 7:46 pm

These look incredible! Want one for breakfast tomorrow morning with a big cup of coffee. YUM.

Leslie April 25, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Those look like the perfect muffins!
Happy Birthday to your little one

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction April 25, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Your blueberry muffins look incredible. Of course, I am not surprised, because everything you make is incredible!

Jen @ How To: Simplify April 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm

These muffins look delicious! My husband loves blueberries so I’ll have to bookmark this recipe!

Baking is my Zen April 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm

You photos look great. Thanks for a great recipe!

Carmen

Megan April 26, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Wonderful! I always love a new blueberry muffin recipe. If I do say so, they are the quintessential muffin. Always a hit. Thank you for sharing!

Danica April 26, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Beautiful! You could seriously sell them in at bakery and have them be the BEST muffins anyone has ever had :)

franticfoodie April 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Beautiful muffins!

Sara April 26, 2010 at 11:51 pm

love LOVE love your blue berry muffin recipe! I suck at baking BUT I will try your recipe! Thanks! :)

Soyon April 28, 2010 at 11:43 am

My recipe also uses lemon zest… love it! I’m curious about how you’re jucing your lemon in the picture above? It looks like you’re removing the pulp?

Lisa April 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I just made these this afternoon and they were delish! I think the lemon was a big difference in regular blueberry muffins. Thanks for the great recipe!

Eunice April 29, 2010 at 2:21 am

This looks so yummy.. i’ll have to try it THIS WEEK!

Cindy April 30, 2010 at 4:19 pm

these were great! i loved the hint of lemon in them and i had enough batter to fill my 12 cup muffin pan and part of my mini muffin pan. was perfect for our little family. thanks for sharing. we LOVE all your recipes! just made your blueberry coffee cake for the second time this week for my book club and it was a great hit. :)

Sara June 1, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Thank you for this recipe. The pics are gorgeous and i was just looking for something to use up the sour cream i have left.

Marlee July 1, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Hi Alice,

I have never, ever gone wrong with a recipe on this blog. I love it! Everything is delicious and easy , but tastes like hard work. BUT I have to admit… I made these last week and threw all but two out. I followed the recipe exactly and they weren’t very good. They tasted like lemon muffins, but not nearly as good.. kind of sickly sweet/citrusy. Maybe you could be a little more specific on the “juice and zest of one lemon” part for your future viewers, because I guess I used way too much of my lemon. Or maybe it was just a big lemon, I don’t know , but I was really dissapointed. :/ I will try this recipe again soon, but will use a lot less lemon, and see if they turn out better.

Monica July 28, 2010 at 7:29 am

I made these last night and they were very good! I used the zest and juice of one small lemon and they gave the blueberry muffins a nice zing. Thanks for sharing!

Christina February 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe out! I LOVE muffins, especially blueberry. Do you think it would be okay to substitute the blueberries for other fruit, such as raspberries, blackberries, etc.? What about nuts?

Kristen May 25, 2011 at 12:01 am

Hi Alice!

These sound GREAT, but I have some lemon dislikers in my house. Do you think they’d be ok without the zest and lemon juice? Do I need to add anything to compensate for the missing ingredients?

Thanks!!

Tristian June 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I love everything about these muffins!!! I try and make them every few weeks and they are never a disappointment to my friends and family. I have a batch cooking in the oven now!

Kristin July 14, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I’ve made these muffins several times too – always yummy. Just pulled a batch out of the oven and they smell so good! I’ve also made this recipe substituting cranberries and orange juice/zest for the blueberries and lemon which is also really delicious!