{Dairy-Free} Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

coconutchocolateicecream {Dairy Free} Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

Today is National Ice Cream day and coincidentally I have an awesome ice cream recipe to share with you.  As some of you are aware of, my oldest daughter is allergic to dairy.  If she ingests anything with cows milk she will suffer a severe eczema outbreak which often results in tears and frustration.  A few months ago I purchased an ice cream maker because we wanted to make our own dairy-free ice cream just as good as “regular” kind.  We’ve made ice cream using a soy base which was good but we’ve been making A LOT of coconut milk based ice cream which is our favorite.  In fact, I like this ice cream so much, it is my new favorite, even more so than my beloved Häagen-Dazs coffee flavor.  Coconut milk is nearly as creamy as heavy cream when using it as a base.  The coconut flavor is very mild, slightly noticeable, but completely complimentary to this chocolate dessert.  Best part of this recipe is it uses only 3 ingredients: coconut milk, sugar, and cocoa powder.

Not only is this recipe dairy-free, it’s also vegan.  Creamy, chocolately, fantastic ice cream for the whole family to enjoy.  So dust off your ice cream makers from the kitchen pantry and give this recipe a go – you won’t regret it.  My new favorite ice cream inspired by Abigail.. I present to you chocolate coconut ice cream.  Enjoy!

icecream ingredients 214x300 {Dairy Free} Chocolate Coconut Ice CreamChocolate Coconut Ice Cream Recipe

Ingredients:

1 14oz can coconut milk *Coconut milk can often be found in the Asian section of your local grocery store.  UPDATE: I made this with an organic coconut milk which WAS NOT labeled “light” but in fact it was.  It was not as creamy as when I use Chaokoh brand.  So if your ice cream is silky creamy, it may be the coconut milk you are using.

1/3 cup sugar or 1/3 cup agave syrup

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Directions:

Place all coconut milk, sugar, and cocoa powder in a blender.  Blend everything for 30 seconds and pour into your ice cream machine bowl and follow manufacturer’s directions.  Transfer to a Rubbermaid type container with lid.cocoapowdermilksugar1 {Dairy Free} Chocolate Coconut Ice Creamchurningicecream {Dairy Free} Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

coconutchocolateicecream1 {Dairy Free} Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream
Here’s the ice cream maker I bought and own. I love it!

pin it button {Dairy Free} Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

Comments

I just made this and had to resist the urge not to eat the mix before getting it into the ice cream maker. I just got a 2 quart Cuisinart (is that what I see in your pictures?) and this is the first ice cream I’ve ever made, so thank you! :)
    It gets really hard in the freezer, but I leave it out on the counter before scooping, and it’s worked well. I think next time, I’ll do one can of regular coconut milk and one can of lite, just so I don’t feel so guilty about the calories. It’s soooo creamy, though!

Oh funny I just made this earlier tonight. Before finding your blog. Very rich and creamy ice cream, new favorite is to use full fat organic coconut milk. I plan on making a coconut milk blueberry vanilla tomorrow night since the cocolate is already gone! (3 kids…) I added 1 tsp homemade peppermint extract to mine too, it was so rich and smooth and creamy. I also just whisked mine up real good in a bowl before adding. Plus that coconut milk fat actually boosts metabalism…woohoo, more ice cream please!

I found this looking for ice cream recipes that didn’t need cream, since I was craving and we were out. WOW! It froze up beautifully and tasted fantastic! The texture is so much like dairy, it was unbelievable. We added shredded sweetened coconut to ours for texture. Thanks so much for the recipe!

4. LaughingRain says

This looks so good. Do you have directions for making it in a home freezer as I do not have an ice cream freezer. I may need to sneak and buy one.

OMG…This is so good! I had leftover coconut cream from making something else and don’t know what to do with it. I have been going dairy-free on and off and the timing could not have been more perfect. I made this tonight using a good quality hot chocolate mix (Allegro) since I was out of cocoa powder. I added equal parts water and coconut cream to thin it out and make 14 ounces. I have not even frozen it yet and it already tasted so good. The Agave nectar rounded out the flavor. I need more coconut milk recipes…
    Thank you Alice!

6. B says

This was so delicious! Thank you thank you :) Any recommendations for other mixins besides cocoa? Would frozen strawberries or pureed mango work the same way?

7. Cindy Robinson says

I made this last week because I had all 3 ingredients, and wanted to use up some coconut milk I bought (do I really need an excuse to make ice cream ?). I added an 1/8th of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper just for giggles (and Cinco de Mayo). It turned out great. I belive it’s growing on me each time I try it. I love how it’s different from milk/cream ice cream in that there’s a fresh clean almost “slushy” taste to it. Thanks for sharing!

8. Debbie T. says

Alice (or anyone else who has made this) – I have a bunch of cans of Trader Joe’s Light Coconut Milk. It’s very creamy and the only ingredients are coconut milk and water, no guar gum, etc. Would it work i this recipe? Thanks so much!

• says

Hi Debbie,
      When I’ve made this in the past using “light” coconut milk, the end result was more icy in texture compared to a velvety ice cream texture. You could try using the TJ light version but I’m guessing it won’t be as creamy but still probably really good.

I love coconut milk ice cream! My fiance is allergic to dairy, and had never had any sort of homemade ice cream as a result. I made a batch secretly with the first strawberries from our CSA, and he nearly cried with joy. It was soooo good!

10. Mindy Lu says

Just found out I am allergic to dairy a few days ago (respiratory stuff)…super devastated since I’m a daily-cheese-and-ice-cream gal. I just made this recipe (and ate half of it in one go) and am realizing that dairy-free probably isn’t as bad as I thought. Thanks for this one – I needed it! :)

11. Adam says

Wow! Made many types of vegan milk free ice creams and I must say this is the BEST and easiest recipes out there! Love it!!! Made a double batch today, looking forward to making more!

12. Michelle says

I tried this today and I don’t know what happened but the fat in the coconut milk separated from the rest, so even after blending I had lumps of fat swimming in the mixture. I used regular coconut milk that only contained coconut and water. Any suggestions?

13. brett says

Compared to fresh coconut milk, the canned stuff tastes like an old shoe. It is well worth the effort to crack a coconut and process your own coconut cream.

14. Georgette says

Found this recipe pretty sweet. Maybe I’ll try half coconut milk half almond with arrowroot powder as a thickener.

Thanks for the starter!

15. Jackie says

This is such simple and fantastic recipe. I’ve tried it once myself and I can’t wait to serve it to my lactose intolerant boyfriend! The coconut goes well with the chocolate and isn’t overpowering for those who are weary of coconut. :)

I’ve written a lot of recipes for dairy free ice cream and a lot of them use coconut milk (it’s a great substitute). I’m excited to try it with chocolate though! Great recipe, and great instructions, thanks for sharing.

17. Mel says

I was wondering if anyone has made this WITHOUT an ice cream maker?
    I have popsicle molds I was thinking I could use, but am concerned that the ingredients will separate before and during the freezing process.
    Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

• Mel says

Well, I answered my own question … mostly because I was too impatient to wait for anyone else to answer it!
      I used popsicle molds and I also simply put the mixture into freezable glass containers. Both worked great! I can eat the popsicles right away, but for the ice cream poured in glass containers, I have to let them melt a little before eating.
      Based on the pictures, the ice cream machine version looks a little creamier than mine, but mine is still GREAT!
      I was buying the Bliss Bars for $1.50 a bar, but I can make this for less than 1/2 the cost! Yay! Thank you so much for this recipe!