{Quick and Easy} Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipe

by Alice Currah on August 2, 2010

A few weeks ago I had the privilege to be one of three judges of the Kirkland Uncorked food and wine event.  Two other judges and myself sat on a platform overlooking Lake Washington on a beautiful Seattle summer day.  Three of Seattle’s top female chef’s competed against one another in front of several hundred onlookers. One of the elements the chefs were being judged for were how they incorporated the use of prawns and red wine in the dishes they prepared.  One of my favorite dishes from the competition was Chef Angie Robert’s grilled pound cake with cherry compote.  So last week I decided to make a quick version of her dessert except using store bought pound cake.  The end result was an easy dessert which would be great to serve guests.  Using homemade pound cake would be best but when the temperature inside the house is almost 100 degrees the last thing I want to do is bake and store bought cake suddenly becomes very attractive.

Grilling pound cake results in a thin toasty outer layer on the outside while leaving a soft warm cake on the inside.  Making the cherry compote is simple as well.  Top each slice of grilled cake with cherry sauce and a dollop of pre-made whipped cream and you’re all set to enjoy a fancy looking dessert without the fuss.  Enjoy!

Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote

1 store bought Sara Lee pound cake, thawed

3 tablespoons melted butter

1 lb. red sweet cherries, stems and pits removed

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons water

2 teaspoons corn starch

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Whipped Cream (homemade of store bought)
Instructions:

Preheat grill on medium heat.  Cut pound cake into 6-8 equal servings.  Brush each side with melted butter and set aside.  In a small cup, add cold water and corn starch together.  Stir mixture until corn starch is dissolved.  In a medium sauce pan on med-high heat cook cherries, water/corn starch mixture, and sugar together for 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  After the cherries have been cooking, add lemon juice and stir again for 2-3 minutes.  Turn off heat.  Grill each side of pound cake slices for one minute.  Remove from heat and pour a few tablespoons of cherry sauce over the cake and place a dollop of whipped cream off to the side.  Enjoy!

Jessica @ How Sweet August 2, 2010 at 5:22 am

Wow I have never had grilled pound cake. That sounds incredible! Gorgeous shots too.

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 2, 2010 at 5:39 am

i LOVE the idea of grilled pound cake! the grill marks look fantastic…and how could you ever beat the idea of cherry compote? delicious!

Michelle August 2, 2010 at 6:26 am

I love grilled poundcake and the lovely fresh cherries are a great way to top it. Beautiful photos!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers August 2, 2010 at 7:29 am

Oh we LOVE grilling pound cake – such a great (and easy) summer dessert…! Love the idea of pairing it with the cherry compote…delicious!

Amanda August 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

Perfection!! Would be honored to stumble it!!!

Kristina August 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm

This looks so good Alice! I wish it was still cherry season here in TN!

JC August 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Love that idea and can’t wait to try it!

Jessica August 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Yum! I like the idea of grilling the pound cake. I’ve got to give this a try, only with some blackberries. Delicious!

mia August 2, 2010 at 4:07 pm

my personal opinion? And not to say I know anything at all… but Too Much Bokeh. It makes mine eyes hurt :)

But the dessert looks great.. wish I had some right now :)

alice August 2, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Mia.. is there such a thing as too much bokeh? Say it ain’t so! :)

dining tables August 3, 2010 at 12:59 am

I really love cherries. I am so in love in the sweet taste of it. I love food that has cherries. That is why this Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipe is going to be one of my favorite.

Eliana August 3, 2010 at 4:18 am

Your grill marks look perfect here and cherries are the perfect accompaniment. Love a great summer dessert that does not require me to turn on the oven.

Baking is my Zen August 3, 2010 at 8:44 am

Love the simplicity! Great grill marks!

Carmen

The Rowdy Chowgirl August 3, 2010 at 10:45 am

This is just beautiful. I think it will be my next company dessert. Maybe with the addition of some brandy in the compote…

Lauren August 3, 2010 at 11:10 am

Dessert…. and the grill. If I can find a way to incorporate bacon in there, I think I’ve just found heaven. Pound cake will freeze well if I make it in advance, right?

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 3, 2010 at 7:07 pm

This looks fantastic! I think this is the perfect reason for me to make some pound cake :)

deeba August 4, 2010 at 4:37 am

This is something I’ve always wanted to try… yours looks delicious!

Chris August 6, 2010 at 9:28 am

I’ve been grilling angel food cake this year for a variety of desserts but I will try pound cake too. I can tell you used a VERY clean grill grate:)

Jen August 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’m not even a big cherry lover, but these look so delicious I’m going to have to try it. Your photos look amazing as well!

Maria August 8, 2010 at 9:53 am

This looks amazing, and super simple. I love that! I’ve never been to the Kirkland Uncorked festival, ( I live in Issaquah) but I think I need to make a trip that way next year. Sounds like a fun time!

marla {family fresh cooking} August 8, 2010 at 11:58 am

Just gave ya a stumble on this one! Love the idea of grilled poundcake. The sauce puts this over the top.

SMITH BITES August 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Alice ~ it was just so awesome to meet you this weekend; you are so inspiring, authentic and edifying. You lift us as well as challenge and encourage; thank you for sharing your gifts with us – we will be forever changed!

Amber August 9, 2010 at 6:17 am

Well talk about a light bulb moment. I grill garlic bread (when making steak or chicken, of course) all the time. But it never once occurred to me to toss our dessert on the grill too. Good Golly, Alice. Thanks for the epiphany. Gorgeous photos, as ever. Like you said on Saturday, everyone has a gift. Yours is most certainly photography.

leslie September 8, 2010 at 9:05 am

Alice,

I know you gave us a short cut with a store bought pound cake but if you ever do want to bake and its too hot in the house for the oven you can bake brownies, cupcakes, and cookies right on your grill.. the secret is to use a 9 X 13 cake pan turn it upside down and place your cookie sheet or cake pan on top of it.. this will keep your cookies or cakes from scortching…