{Quick and Easy} Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipe

grilledcherrypoundcake {Quick and Easy} Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipe

A few weeks ago I had the privilege to be one of three judges of the Kirkland Uncorked food and wine event.  Two other judges and myself sat on a platform overlooking Lake Washington on a beautiful Seattle summer day.  Three of Seattle’s top female chef’s competed against one another in front of several hundred onlookers. One of the elements the chefs were being judged for were how they incorporated the use of prawns and red wine in the dishes they prepared.  One of my favorite dishes from the competition was Chef Angie Robert’s grilled pound cake with cherry compote.  So last week I decided to make a quick version of her dessert except using store bought pound cake.  The end result was an easy dessert which would be great to serve guests.  Using homemade pound cake would be best but when the temperature inside the house is almost 100 degrees the last thing I want to do is bake and store bought cake suddenly becomes very attractive.

Grilling pound cake results in a thin toasty outer layer on the outside while leaving a soft warm cake on the inside.  Making the cherry compote is simple as well.  Top each slice of grilled cake with cherry sauce and a dollop of pre-made whipped cream and you’re all set to enjoy a fancy looking dessert without the fuss.  Enjoy!

Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote

1 store bought Sara Lee pound cake, thawed

3 tablespoons melted butter

1 lb. red sweet cherries, stems and pits removed

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons water

2 teaspoons corn starch

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Whipped Cream (homemade of store bought)
pittedcherries {Quick and Easy} Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipe Instructions:

Preheat grill on medium heat.  Cut pound cake into 6-8 equal servings.  Brush each side with melted butter and set aside.  In a small cup, add cold water and corn starch together.  Stir mixture until corn starch is dissolved.  In a medium sauce pan on med-high heat cook cherries, water/corn starch mixture, and sugar together for 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  After the cherries have been cooking, add lemon juice and stir again for 2-3 minutes.  Turn off heat.  Grill each side of pound cake slices for one minute.  Remove from heat and pour a few tablespoons of cherry sauce over the cake and place a dollop of whipped cream off to the side.  Enjoy!

saraleepoundcake {Quick and Easy} Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipegrilledcherrypoundcake11 {Quick and Easy} Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipe

pin it button {Quick and Easy} Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipe

Comments

my personal opinion? And not to say I know anything at all… but Too Much Bokeh. It makes mine eyes hurt :)

But the dessert looks great.. wish I had some right now :)

I really love cherries. I am so in love in the sweet taste of it. I love food that has cherries. That is why this Grilled Pound Cake with Cherry Compote Recipe is going to be one of my favorite.

Your grill marks look perfect here and cherries are the perfect accompaniment. Love a great summer dessert that does not require me to turn on the oven.

Dessert…. and the grill. If I can find a way to incorporate bacon in there, I think I’ve just found heaven. Pound cake will freeze well if I make it in advance, right?

I’ve been grilling angel food cake this year for a variety of desserts but I will try pound cake too. I can tell you used a VERY clean grill grate:)

I’m not even a big cherry lover, but these look so delicious I’m going to have to try it. Your photos look amazing as well!

7. Maria says

This looks amazing, and super simple. I love that! I’ve never been to the Kirkland Uncorked festival, ( I live in Issaquah) but I think I need to make a trip that way next year. Sounds like a fun time!

Alice ~ it was just so awesome to meet you this weekend; you are so inspiring, authentic and edifying. You lift us as well as challenge and encourage; thank you for sharing your gifts with us – we will be forever changed!

Well talk about a light bulb moment. I grill garlic bread (when making steak or chicken, of course) all the time. But it never once occurred to me to toss our dessert on the grill too. Good Golly, Alice. Thanks for the epiphany. Gorgeous photos, as ever. Like you said on Saturday, everyone has a gift. Yours is most certainly photography.

10. leslie says

Alice,

I know you gave us a short cut with a store bought pound cake but if you ever do want to bake and its too hot in the house for the oven you can bake brownies, cupcakes, and cookies right on your grill.. the secret is to use a 9 X 13 cake pan turn it upside down and place your cookie sheet or cake pan on top of it.. this will keep your cookies or cakes from scortching…