Green Beans with Bacon and Pecans

by Alice Currah on April 26, 2011. Updated April 27, 2011

When it comes to green beans, I’m a -plain Jane kind of girl.  I usually saute them in a little bit of oil, season them with salt and pepper, and top them off with a small pat of butter.  But last Sunday for our Easter dinner, I changed it up a little bit.  I decided on making a greens beans tossed in a maple syrup-Dijon dressing with crumbled bacon and candied pecans.  Oh my word, this was the perfect side dish to serve along side gratin potatoes, mac and cheese, fruit salad, and spiral ham.  I loved the the sweetness from the maple syrup with the tang of the mustard.  Adding the bacon and pecans pulled everything together for one fantastic side dish.

Next time you feel like jazzing up some green beans, give this recipe a go.  Enjoy!

Place the oil, maple syrup, Dijon Mustard, and garlic in a food processor or blender.  Blend until emulsified.

Blanch the beans by boiling them for 3-5 minutes until cooked through but still slightly crunchy.

Strain the beans immediately and throw them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.  They’ll stay crispy and keep their beautiful green color.  Wait a few minutes and drain them again.  Allow them to dry or pat them dry with a paper towel.

Toss the beans in the maple-Dijon dressing.

Stir in some good quality crumbled bacon, candied pecans, and a little bit of kosher salt and pepper. Mercy!

Green Beans with Bacon and Pecans
Recipe type: Vegetable
Serves: 4-6

A nice green bean side dish made with a maple syrup and Dijon mustard dressing. Tossed with crumbled bacon and pecans, this side dish is a great way to dress up green beans.
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
  • 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
  • ¼ cup chopped candied pecans
  • salt and pepper
  1. Emulsify maple syrup, olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and garlic in a food processor or blender, and set aside.
  2. Blanch green beans by boiling them for 3-5 minutes until crisp. Drain the beans immediately and transfer them to a large bowl of ice water. Wait three minutes and drain. Allow the green beans to air dry or by patting them with a paper towel.
  3. Toss the beans in the dressing and top them off with the crumbled bacon and pecans. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Jessica @ How Sweet April 27, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Now this is exactly how I like to eat green beans Alice!

Daniel April 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm

this totally made my mouth water!

Shawn April 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Looks so good! I usually do mine with fried shallots, bacon, & almonds. I can’t wait to try yours….your combination has me wanting to try them right now!

Nicole April 27, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Im not a huge fan of green beans but this recipe is making me change my mind. I am going to make this tonight with some roasted chicken.

Maris (In Good Taste) April 27, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Interesting about throwing in the ice. These green beans look perfect

Rocky Mountain Woman April 27, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I’ve done a similar thing with walnuts…

Love the photo!

Can’t wait for green beans from the garden…

Michelle April 27, 2011 at 5:14 pm

okay! now we are cooking! I LOVE the idea of Dijon!

Julie Peterson April 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm

oooooooooooooohhhhh my gosh, this looks good! :D

The bacon – did you cook it in the oven?

Katrina April 28, 2011 at 12:53 am

These look awesome! I especially like the pecans on the beans :)

kimberlycun April 28, 2011 at 3:09 am

omg these are the most delicious vegetable dish i’ve ever seen! YUMS!

Cara @ The Boys Made Me Do It April 28, 2011 at 9:46 am

I think bacon makes everything better! Looks delicious

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 April 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’m usually a plain green bean girl, too, but I could definitely use this recipe to those times when you just want a little something more for a side dish. They look delicious.

Liz April 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

YUMM! These look so yummy. I can’t wait to make this next week!

www.StarHughes.com April 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Oh boy, this looks too good to be healthy! I’ve always sauteed my green beans in salt – plain and simple – but the candied pecans and syrup mixture sounds incredible. I can’t wait to try it.

Brooke April 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Someone brought something similar to a potluck once, but added a certain type of cheese – I can’t remember if it was feta or gorgonzola, but it was DELISH! Thanks for sharing.

~Brooke

Jessica April 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm

This looks amazing – I love the idea of combining the sweet and tangy flavors, along with the bacon, in this dish.

NorikoBurky April 29, 2011 at 7:37 am

Hi!

Crumbled bacon and candied pecans! What a great idea!
I definitely have to give it a try.

I found your wonderful blog when I was searching for a good Pad Thai recipe the other day. Your Pad Thai was so so so delicious and I learned a lot from you. I mentioned about your recipe and blog in mine…I hope it was ok…
It was the best Pad Thai I’ve ever tasted! Thank you!!!

Rebekah Gough April 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Wow these look amazing – your recipes are always so special and yet so very accessible! Hope you had a wonderful and blessed holiday Alice!

M May 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

This recipe looks fabulous! I love dijon vinaigrette and candied pecans.

This is my favorite “special” green bean recipe. If I can’t get good fresh beans, I use Trader Joe’s frozen Haricots Vert–they’re so young and tender. You’d never believe they were frozen.

Bacon Balsamic Green Beans
1 pound of green beans, blanched–Plunge in boiling water for 30 seconds-2min (depends on how crunchy you want your beans) and remove and drain.
1-2 shallots, chopped –sizes vary so drastically and some people like more shallot flavor than others
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar–I use an inexpensive vinegar from Trader Joe’s.*
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup of sliced almonds, toasted– the amount can vary according to the tastes of you and your guests.

This is my go to green bean recipe. Fry bacon in a deep sided saute pan and drain off almost all the bacon fat, reserving 1 T to saute. Set the bacon aside on paper towels to cool and drain. Saute a shallot or two in the bit of fat, then deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 T. brown sugar. Stir fry blanched green beans in the vinegar mixture and finish with crumbled bacon and almonds.

These beans are even better cold the next day, but they’re a bit limp so I save them for myself and my husband or for a casual picnic.

*Since you’re making a hot vinaigrette, the flavors of an expensive balsamic would be lost. The vinegar I use is real balsamic and not the cheap “balsamic” found in a lot of grocery stores that are actually red wine vinegar and caramel coloring instead of simple grape must. Red wine vinegar is too acidic.

Lonesome Road Studio May 10, 2011 at 6:15 am

Thank you M for reminding me that I have a bag of those very same green beans in my freezer right now!
You had me at “bacon” LOL! This sounds like a really nice Thanksgiving side dish also. Thanks for posting it!

Lunette de soleil Oakley May 26, 2011 at 5:28 am

This is really good information. You have done an excellent job of research and writing.

bunny September 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I recently discovered your blog and, being the foodie I am, flipped through all the recipes. I pinned this one on Pinterest and 35 PEOPLE repinned it. Guess bacon and pecans sound as yummy as I thought.

denise:) November 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Oh my…. this is the recipe for Thanksgiving!! Been looking all over for a good green bean recipe- you’re my new fav food blog!!
thankyouthankyouthankyou!

alice November 19, 2011 at 3:36 am

Thanks Denise!

Robin November 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Hi. Is it possible to serve this recipe hot? I understand about stopping the cooking process with the ice, but can I add everything then put in oven or microwave before I put it on the table?
Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving!

alice November 21, 2011 at 1:59 am

Hi Robin,
You can either microwave it right before serving or keep it in your warming oven.

Kysha M November 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Thanks so much! We were going to have plain old green beens but not anymore! Happy thanksgiving to you & yours.

Photorecipe February 20, 2013 at 5:37 am

Hi Alice, thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, I´ll try it soon, looks really tasty (and healthy).

Regards,

Photorecipe

MAMA ANNAH May 1, 2014 at 4:20 am

Have you lost your lover for years?
Do you need to recover your lost properties?
Do you have weak power in bed?
Does your man take long to erect after the first round of making love?
Does your partner want to divorce you?
Do you have a terrible court case or debts?
Do you have relatives or friend who has been denied bail in court?
Do you want to have children?
Do want to win Lotto, casino, horses, and all gambling Games?
Have you ever looked for jobs for long time and failed?
Do you want to pass exams easily?
Do you want to remote control your lover so that what thing you ask is done quickly?
Are you single looking for a someone to love?
do you need a protection for your home ,properties,and business?
Do you need to be promoted at work? it is so heartful to work long time but in only one position!
Do have bad luck in your daily life and whatever you do does not succeed?
Do you have pregnancy difficulties, miscarriages, birth-pains, backache?
Do you suspect any kind of evil witchcraft in your life,at work or at home? early up before it destroy you!
Do you always need clients to pour in your business? why your businesses unsuccessful?
Do you need a permanent protection from car accidents? Why your cars always breaks up?
Do you need to remove stretch marks from your body and be beautiful again with smooth skin?
If you are so much addicted with smoking, or any thing we can help you to stop it quickly.
Do you need to reduce you vaginal size, stomach belly. lose weight, we do help quickly.
Stop stress with a small pay slips, we can make your boss to increase it at any amount of your choice.