Easy Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

by Alice Currah on August 15, 2012

You know the saying, “when it rains, it pours?”  Well it’s been a crazy chaotic August in a not so good way.  I won’t itemize everything that has been happening but let’s just say it has been challenging.  My computer has been in and out of the shop for the last couple weeks which is why I’ve been very absent from the blog.  As much as I love technology, I kind of hate it right now.  And because I made the decision to pay for repairs instead of buying a new computer, I am having remorse because I’m still having issues with my computer.

I had hoped to share this ice cream recipe last week but without a computer, it was not meant to be.  The story behind this recipe is kind of funny.  I made this wonderful blueberry crisp and you can’t eat a warm fruit crisp without a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  After asking my husband to go to the store to pick up a pint and waiting a very long time for him to do this, I decided to just make some.

This vanilla ice cream recipe is very simple and easy to make.  The recipe requires no egg yolks which is great for a person like me.  Made with heavy cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt, this vanilla ice cream is perfect to keep in your freezer for any time any dessert a la mode is called for. It’s also a great way to use up any heavy cream taking up space in your fridge.  Enjoy!

Easy Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12

• 2 cups heavy cream
  • ¾ cup milk
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  1. Add all the ingredients to a shallow pan.
  2. Heat the cream mixture on medium heat until it starts to slightly bubble.
  3. Turn off the heat and mix the cream until the sugar is dissolved.
  4. Allow the cream mixture to cool to room temperature.
  5. Pour the cream into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s directions. Freeze for 3 hours before serving.

Alyssa August 15, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Hey Alice,

I’d love to make this!! It looks so good! My question is, what ice cream maker do you use and do you like it? I’m going to ask for one for my birthday, but I don’t want anyone to make a bad purchase and waste $60. ;)

Thanks and love the recipe!!
Alyssa

Mel August 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Mmmm, everyone needs a good go-to vanilla ice cream recipe and I’ve kind of been looking around for one just like this: minimal fuss, simple ingredients and quick to put together. And on a sidenote, I hope your August gets much, much better.

Arthur in the Garden! August 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Homemade Ice cream is the best! Its so easy, too!

Ann P. August 17, 2012 at 2:04 am

NO yolks, that’s awesome! :D This sounds like the perfect thing to make right now. I need a dish of something cool and creamy and classic. :]

nazom August 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm

We are currently seeking people who are looking part time job. You can earn as much as $80/per hour and recieve as much as $8216 per month without having hard time to do the job done.Please Read and visit this site for more informations

nazom August 18, 2012 at 12:02 am

We are currently encouraging people who want to have part time job thru online. You can earn as much as $72/per hour and recieve as much as $7213 per month without having hard time to do the job done.Please Read and visit this site for more informations
>>>>> http://bit.ly/HVtSrx

Mel August 18, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Very similar to the one my husband and I have used for years–he refuses to eat ice cream made with eggs, so this is the go-to for us. I’ve found that with my little tabletop ice cream maker, it works much better to thoroughly chill the mix before freezing.

Sasha August 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm

My sister is lending us her icecream maker to try – I will have to give this a shot! Thanks!

Beth @ Pathway to Asia August 27, 2012 at 8:22 am

Oh the wonders of cream, milk, and sugar! This classic ice cream should be a staple in everyone’s fridge.

Quick question though – for those who do not have the luxury of having an ice cream maker, what can be a good alternative?

P.S. August is not yet over so I hope that you get to have a happy memory for this month despite the “rainy” days you’ve been having!

Jeff @ Cheeseburger August 27, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I’ve never made ice cream before but your recipe makes it look easy. I think I’ll give it a try.

ChicagoJudy August 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I made this ice cream last weekend. I doubled the recipe and maybe that’s why I had a difficult time getting it to harden up in the ice cream machine. However…. once I got it into the containers and it sat in the freezer overnight, the best compliment any grandmother could ever get was received the next day … “Nana, this is the best dessert you ever made!” She’s 4 years old and had her scoop in a cone with sprinkles on top. This ice cream recipe is delicious! Thank you for sharing it. It’s definitely a keeper!!

Bakery Online Shop August 29, 2012 at 4:21 am

I have tried a very similar recipe in the past as well and it turned out to be really good. I really liked the taste of it. It saves you from the hassle of going out and buying it and tastes better then getting it from some shop.

Paper plate machine suppliers Hyderabad September 10, 2012 at 3:05 am

This looks absolutely perfect. Many thanks to the person who made this post. Keep it up the good work and also keep posting.

Christina September 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Rich vanilla ice-cream is a VERY dangerous item to keep in the freezer. Although, I did just make a dried plum and fresh fig compote that would be magnificent on this ice-cream. It’s all very tempting!

Christina

Gallery Hawkins September 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Great thing I really love Ice Creams and I am an enthusiast for cooking. I can try this one! Thanks a lot!

DonnieJean September 25, 2012 at 12:19 am

I some times underestimate the wonders of home made vanilla ice cream. It compliments so many desert dishes–from fruity to nutty to chocolate. And it’s amazing how so few ingredients can create something so delicious. I will definitely be trying the blueberry crisp alongside a nice heaping of home vanilla ice cream!

la fata della zucca September 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Looks simply and delicious!wanna try! thank you for sharing!

@lafatadellazucca.wordpress.com

Alli December 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I just made this in my brand new ice cream maker and it’s delicious. I can’t wait to top this over my pear crisp tonight. I love that this recipe only uses heavy cream and no eggs.

Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

Krista February 21, 2013 at 7:00 pm

My husband and I made this recipe for Valentine’s Day. YUM. I would like to make it again using strawberries. Do you think it would mess with the consistency too much to add about a cup of mashed strawberries to the mixture before putting it in the ice cream maker?

sinduja April 10, 2013 at 12:45 am

i loved making it.i always wanted to make ice cream without egg .thanks alice

Debi May 8, 2013 at 2:36 pm

This ice cream looks creamy and like it has all the attributes you like in homemade, and why store bought doesn’t compare! I have an egg allergy so this is perfect. But I have to ask, what is that heavenly looking berry concoction under the ice cream? It is almost ollalieberry season here, and I’d love to make this for my berry-lovin’ husband.

Debi May 8, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Opps! Nevermind… I see you thoughtfully inserted a link to your Blueberry Crisp in the commentary before the recipe.

George June 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm

lovin it..
thank you soo much..

Sharon June 17, 2013 at 5:46 pm

This looks very good. How would I make this a chocolate recipe? Would it be enough to add cocoa powder, or would I need other embellishments? Thanks.

Sharon June 18, 2013 at 10:06 am

I had to come back and report. I made this recipe yesterday. The only difference is that I added crushed Oreo cookies about 20 minutes into the churning process. The cookies blended in nicely and looked great. It was soft, so we tasted it and put it away. I just tried a little…and it tastes just like cookies and cream ice cream that I would pay someone for. Wonderful recipe! Now, I just need to know what to add to make this the perfect chocolate.

Cherie June 22, 2014 at 9:30 am
Ann August 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm

OK, I’m about to try this but I’m not planning on freezing it. I use an actual electri ice cream churn, not one of those counter top machines so I assume I can make this the way I normally make ice cream: churn it and “cure” it in the churn. I also am doubling the recipe. Fingers crossed it works for my BBQ tonight!