Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Recipe

by Alice Currah on November 13, 2009. Updated December 1, 2011

carameldrizzelTrue story – Last year I fell crazy in love with Starbucks Signature Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate.  Each day I would drink 2 of these bad boys as a treat to myself.  My son was only 6 months old back then and I would have the baristas pour double shots of espresso into my drink.  It was my guilty pleasure except I would call it more like therapy.  And if you’re a mom reading this – thank you for understanding what I mean when I say “therapy”.

There was something very magical about this type of hot chocolate Starbucks was offering.  As a result I became an addict.  You see, I love salted caramel anything and the combination of salty-sweet chocolate sludge was just too much for me to only drink 1 a day.  Imagine how much I mourned when I discovered a couple months ago Starbucks was not bringing back my seasonal drink. WHAT THE HECK STARBUCKS!?

But you see all was not lost because I had a light bulb moment!  When life gives you no more favorite drink, get off your lazy butt and make it at home.  Not only did I resurrect this seasonal favorite, I knocked it out of the park! – Booya!  I love my version and I have no shame in boasting about it.

So if you are mourning the loss of Starbucks Salted Caramel Signature Hot Chocolate this holiday season – have no fear, Alice is here.  Enjoy!

*Before we start listing ingredients, I wanted to make this recipe as simple as possible.  For everything listed you can buy it pre-made, but to make it sublime, making each element is what really makes this drink come alive.  I also have used Swiss Miss instant hot chocolate and still have great results!  So do what you can to tailor this drink to your liking.

caramelcoatinghotchocolate-

pouredhotchocolate-

saltedcaramelhotchocolate2

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Recipe
Recipe type: Drink
Serves: 1

A copy cat recipe for Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Recipe
  • 3 tablespoons Caramel syrup, heated to luke warm (recipe here)
  • Hot Chocolate (4 tablespoons of ganache plus 6 oz. of milk, heated)
  • Canned Whipped Cream
  • Pinch of Medium Coarse Sea Salt
  1. Pour 2 Tablespoons of caramel syrup into a mug so the inside of the mug is coated well. Add hot chocolate and stir everything. Top off with with cream, drizzle with remaining caramel, and sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy!

Gemma December 13, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I love that you get it. coffee=therapy. When my, now 22 month old, daughter was born she was colicy and lets say my coffee addiction started there ;) I am not normally one to try a different coffee at Starbucks; I have two I like (white choc mocha and caramel frap) and I stick to them. But when a friend suggested this on FB I had to try it…SOOOO good. New addiction-I love that you recreated it and now I can have it at home and not force the kids (3 and 22 months) out just so I can have a therapeutic moment-although the car ride to my closest one (30 mins) can be a nice peaceful time =naps :) thanks for the great recipe.

Sarah January 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm

A guy at Barnes & Noble Starbucks (I know not the real real deal) here in NC clued me in to the secret. Their secret is SMOKED sea salt. He showed me the bottle. So, check out William Sonoma or Sur La Table or another gourmet food supplier for that ingredient & you’ll be getting closer to the flavor they offer. I attached a link to my 30 day waste project blog where I took a picture of that magical hot chocolate in a mason jar they filled for me. I am a fan of this yummy little menu item too.

venetia January 9, 2011 at 10:02 am

Starbucks in my area, Beal Parkway, FWB, Fl has Signature salted caramel hot chocolate, they just don’t have the salt…you are however missing an ingredient..they also put “toffee nut” in the Salted caramel hot choc.

Jessie -- The Messie Kitchen January 23, 2011 at 9:40 am

I am completely in agreement with you about the Starbucks drink. When they introduced it, I had a mini party in my mind and when I drank it — wow. Well, I tried to recreate it this winter and really loved my creation but I think next time I’m going to coat the mug with caramel. What a great idea. Thank you for sharing this recipe and my love for this drink!

Tracy Swank February 14, 2011 at 8:29 am

I made these this morning for my sweetie for Valentine’s Day and they turned out really well. Thanks for the recipe and happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours!

julie February 22, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I love this drink too! I think your recipe is great. On starbucks website they mention that it has toffee nut syrup in there recipe. I bought a bottle there for 8 bucks and it makes your recipe absolutly divine.

blair March 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm

THEY SELL IT!! i was at starbucks today and got one!! amazing

Martha March 12, 2011 at 6:03 pm

This message is for Alice – thank you for your recipe for salted caramel hot chocolate! I, too, fell in love with it during Christmas 2010, at which time Starbuck’s had it for the holidays. Just yesterday, I discovered that Starbuck’s has a new treat for those of us who are addicted to salted caramel. My husband brought one home for me, and now I’m trying to figure out how to make it! It’s a candy/cookie bar with salted caramel and pecans atop a shortbread crust, and then dipped in milk chocolate. It is absolutely one of the best things I’ve EVER tasted. If I figure it out, I will post the recipe here. If you decide to work on it, I would love to hear about your recipe, too!

Khloe June 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm

This recipie sounds very similar to the Starbucks recipie! I added a few things i though i would share :p. So i added 1 tsp. of vanilla and just a pinch or two of cinnamon to the hot chocolate to give it a little more flavor. I also added i little bit of just regular syrup and it was delicious! Thanks so much for the recipie!

alice June 25, 2011 at 12:20 am

Thanks for sharing!

Cocktail machines July 30, 2011 at 4:25 am

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it

anuhea August 31, 2011 at 8:10 pm

hey, just thought i’d let whoever was wondering that starbucks still does have salted caramel hot chocolate, you just need to say that you don’t need the salt on top. the salt at the top doesn’t chage or alter the drink. so try it out (:

H Knipple September 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Cathi Arola October 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I love that you posted this amazing recipe. I will have to try it. My favourite part of the Starbucks drink was the SALT. All the Starbucks I visit seem to run out of the stuff. I even went to the great length to leave feedback on the Starbucks website (I love it that much). Do you know where I could find something similar to that salt? The SB salt is “smoked” and mixed with rock sugar? Is there anything like this available to the public? If so, I will be in heaven . . . Thanks again!

Nadya November 9, 2011 at 2:16 am

My son-in law was a manager for Starbucks for several years, & this is one of my granddaughters’ FAVORITE drinks, too! When my daughter brought me one yesterday, I also wondered about making my own, & found your lovely post!

We’re gluten & dairy free, so when making the caramel just now, I did a half batch, using coconut milk & oil. It turned out fine – a bit paler than yours, but did set up nicely. I’ll also use coconut milk when making the hot chocolate – so yummy, & full of healthy fats! (Starbucks has a soy option, which they get)

Thanks for sharing your re-creation!

Chelsea December 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Just wanted you to know that I linked to your recipe on my blog: http://stanwoodtoseoul.blogspot.com/2011/12/homemade-caramel.html
Thanks for the recipes–they’re amazing!

Elizabeth December 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm

This warm winter holiday treat is just perfect for the holidays! You have got to share it with all the fans on the U.S. Postal Service page! http://on.fb.me/ujGGtE

TTY June 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Inlove any starbucks I made a cake

Diedre Middleton September 25, 2012 at 8:58 am

Actually a Starbucks barista clued me in one day and made my whole world! They still offer SALTED CARAMEL MOCHAS!—So you would be getting a little bit of coffee like you originally wanted :)

Robyn November 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Love it! Just a note to let you know I linked you to my blog, AND check out my recipe there for Pumpkin Pie Spice Hot Cocoa. It’s delicious too!

Nicole November 23, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Starbucks must have brought this back. I have had four this week. Unbelievable

Alicia June 25, 2013 at 3:40 am

Starbucks can make the drink year round but the salt topping is only available during holiday season
..im a former Starbucks barista

Pamela January 31, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I too consider my Starbucks addiction, therapy! I am glad you love the drink you made…. I am in love with the Salted Caramel White Mocha.. my barista tells me that both are made with the toffee nut syrup (not caramel as you would expect) that caramel drizzle is only on top. I also learned to mix the sea salt with turbinado raw sugar( you can get packets of it at Starbucks if you want to sample it first). It adds that bit of sweetness to the salty. I hope you’ll try the additions… might just take your favorite drink to the next level. Enjoy!!!

Eri February 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’ve always loved chocolate,and when this drink came about, I fell in love with it! Then, I noticed they sold the boxed version at my local grocery store. I do like the store-bought packets as well,but since we can make it ourselves, I’m gonna go for it!! Thanks again!!

Amanda March 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Where is the Caramel Syrup Recipe and Ganache Recipe For this? Am I just missing them!?