Orange Julius Recipe

by Alice Currah on January 27, 2010. Updated January 28, 2010

This week I’m participating in the United Way Hunger Action Week.  I made myself this Orange Julius inspired smoothie modified to what I had on hand with only a few ingredients for lunch.  Smoothies make a great snack or meal replacement and can be made in just a few minutes.  The nice thing about smoothies is this.. when you blend drinks with ice the volume of the liquids expands so your drink lasts longer.   Enjoy.

Orange Julius Inspired Smoothie

5-6 ice cubes

1 cup orange juice

1 egg white or powdered equivalent

3 tablespoons sugar  (or sugar substitute equivalent) – less or more depending on sweetness preference

*optional* 2 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt

*optional * 1 tablespoon protein powder

Directions:  Blend everything in a blender for 30-45 seconds.  Pour into a glass. Enjoy!

Cookin' Canuck January 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Perfect! I haven’t had an orange julius in years and now have a craving for one (minus the inevitable brain freeze, please). Great photo!

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 27, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Oh my! I LOVE Orange Julius! I use to make my mom buy me one every time we went to the mall when I was little. I’m definitely bookmarking this!

jenn January 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Oh Orange Julius — how I miss thee!!! Bookmarked, too. I’m a little sad that most of the shops closed except for a few, but now that you’ve made this, i don’t have to sad anymore.

Jamie January 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Orange Julius used to be a Mother/Daughter mall tradition for me too : ) I never though to make one at home, but now I’ll have to give it try- yours looks so frothy and delicious!

Kate @ Savour Fare January 27, 2010 at 6:00 pm

OMG I haven’t had an orange julius in YEARS. Now I totally want one. Though I’m sure the drive through ones have additional sugar.

wizzythestick January 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I have never heard of this before. Must try it.

Jessica @ How Sweet January 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Totally from my childhood!!! :) This made me smile so big.

Dani January 27, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Wonderful. This brings back some great memories. My Dad used to make the exact same drink for me and my brothers when we were kids. He called it a Ponche. But in Mexican culture a Ponche is a type warm fruit punch often served with some kind of alcohol on holidays. I Don’t know where he got the idea, but we loved it and often begged him to make it for us. Thanks for the post

Dandy January 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Orange Julius’ being back such fond memories! Yum.

Carolyn Jung January 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

This brings back such wonderful memories. As a kid, I used to frequent Orange Julius’s. There used to be one in San Francisco’s Chinatown. And I remember my Mom would treat me to one if we were out shopping there. It was always a favorite.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Yum! My mom used to make us Orange Julius smoothies as kids… This brings back memories! I’ll definitely have to give these a try.

Carsten January 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Really tasty! We have tried the Orange Julius smoothie today and we love it!

jamieofalltrades January 31, 2010 at 9:24 pm

i loved orange julius as a kid, i’ll have to make these soon.

Sally February 8, 2010 at 8:08 am

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying these. Yesterday I made Ina Garten’s Juice of a Few Flowers (1/2 cup grapefruit juice, 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup lemon juice — plus vodka). I had some of the juice mixture leftover and decided to use it to make a citrus Julius. It was very good!

Tanya March 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I just made this recipe and it is delicious, I didn’t have any eggs but it turned out great. I give this recipe five stars!

Gail August 23, 2010 at 11:12 am

Years ago I watched these being made every time I had one. We began to use a very similar recipe as yours only including the yolk of the egg. Everyone always loved it, and it is such an energy boost. An egg gives the highest amount of easily digestible protein than any other food. This is great for pregnancy snack and small children.

Amanda October 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Eggs? Doesn’t that have..salmonella or something?