aramelized onions… need I say more? What’s a girl to do when she has a package of puff pastry staring at her each time she opens the door to her freezer? Well my friends, it’s your lucky day because I’m about to share with you an onion tart fancy enough to serve at your next dinner party and simple enough to enjoy at home any day you’d like.
There is something magical about caramelized onions. It reminds me of the stages of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly. With the help of butter and a few seasonings regular yellow onions transform into a soft heap of golden goodness. Can I get an Amen?! Who am I kidding, I’m preaching to the choir..you all already know how good caramelized onions are – my apologies. Adding them to a puff pastry base with a thin layer of ricotta cheese, this tart is a great one to add to your arsenal of versatile recipes to have on hand for any occasion. Enjoy!
Add the layer of caramelized onions and top with the remaining cheese.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 med-large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 package puff pastry, thawed
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add the onions, white wine, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper and cook the onions until softened and golden brown.
- While the onions are caramelizing, combine the Ricotta cheese and egg in a small bowl and set aide.
- Unfold puff pastry sheets on a a large cookie sheet making sure both sheets connect in the middle of the pan.
- Gently fold in each side of the puff pastry sheets approximately 1 inch.
- Spread the Ricotta cheese mixture evenly over the puff pastry and lightly sprinkle most of the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Add the caramelized onions evenly over the cheese mixture and top the tart off by sprinkling any remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until puff pastry is golden brown.
- Cut into small pieces for appetizers or bigger pieces to eat as a main dish. Enjoy!