{Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

oniontartpiece1 {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart aramelized onions… need I say more?  What’s a girl to do when she has a package of puff pastry staring at her each time she opens the door to her freezer?  Well my friends, it’s your lucky day because I’m about to share with you an onion tart fancy enough to serve at your next dinner party and simple enough to enjoy at home any day you’d like.

There is something magical about caramelized onions.  It reminds me of the stages of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly.  With the help of butter and a few seasonings regular yellow onions transform into a soft heap of golden goodness.  Can I get an Amen?! Who am I kidding, I’m preaching to the choir..you all already know how good caramelized onions are – my apologies.  Adding them to a puff pastry base with a thin layer of ricotta cheese, this tart is a great one to add to your arsenal of versatile recipes to have on hand for any occasion.  Enjoy!OnionThyme {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

caramelized onions {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

Caramelize the onions along with the spices until they are soft and golden brown.ricottaegg {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

Mix the Ricotta cheese and the egg together to make the spread.puffpastry {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

Fold the edges of the puff pasty in to make a nice outer crust all the way around.ricottapuffpastry {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

Spread the Ricotta cheese mixture over the puff pastry evenly.cheeseoniontart {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

Add the layer of caramelized onions and top with the remaining cheese.

oniontart {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

5.0 from 1 reviews
Caramelized Onion Ricotta Tart
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 8-12

A simple but elegant onion tart recipe. Perfect for your next party!
  • Ingredients:
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 med-large yellow onions, thinly sliced
  • 4 tablespoons white wine
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 cup Ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 package puff pastry, thawed
  • ½ cup Parmesan cheese
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter on medium heat.
  3. Add the onions, white wine, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper and cook the onions until softened and golden brown.
  4. While the onions are caramelizing, combine the Ricotta cheese and egg in a small bowl and set aide.
  5. Unfold puff pastry sheets on a a large cookie sheet making sure both sheets connect in the middle of the pan.
  6. Gently fold in each side of the puff pastry sheets approximately 1 inch.
  7. Spread the Ricotta cheese mixture evenly over the puff pastry and lightly sprinkle most of the Parmesan cheese on top.
  8. Add the caramelized onions evenly over the cheese mixture and top the tart off by sprinkling any remaining Parmesan cheese.
  9. Bake for 25-30 minutes until puff pastry is golden brown.
  10. Cut into small pieces for appetizers or bigger pieces to eat as a main dish. Enjoy!

pin it button {Simple Yet Fancy} Caramelized Onion Tart

Comments

1. Robin says

I made this last night and it was super delicious! My husband and I loved it! The leftovers taste great too.

• says

Hi Joan,
      Yes, you could make this the day before Thanksgiving and bake it. Puff pasty packages usually come with 2 sheets of dough. The recipe calls for using both sheets. The recipe could easily feed 14 for appetizers or as a small side.

2. Tom says

Made this tonight and it was great! Substituited cilantro for tyme. I had to made 2 batches of the filling to fill up my tart: one, I made it with the wine and one without it, and also added some brown sugar (from another recipe I saw). It turned out great and I’d definitely make it again.

Tom

3. Courtney says

So, I screwed up and realized at the last minute (after thawing and carmelizing…) that I had Phyllo Dough and not puff pastry. However, this recipe works that way too! I just wrapped the ingredients in the Phyllo sort of like you would Spanakopita, and it was totally delicious. I still can’t wait to try it with puff pastry though. Really delicious flavor combinations here!

4. Sally says

I am making this to go along with my Easter dinner and to send with my daughter to her in laws for Easter dinner. My garden is brimming with onions right now and I was looking for some fun way to use them. I bet it is obscenely fattening! Perfect for a holiday treat!

5. Emma says

I’m about to make this for the 4th time. It is so amazing. I marinade cherry tomatoes in garlic and balsamic and add them on top before I bake it. Adds a little sweetness.

6. CallmeaFoodie says

I have made this tart at least 3 or 4 times and it has been a hit every time. I’ve never used the ricotta/egg mixture but have found that of the cheeses I have chosen, smoked gouda/parmesean is by far the best ! With the onions properly caramelized (this takes at least an hour, sometimes close to an hour and a half) the smokiness of the gouda will convince your taste buds that there is bacon/prosciutto/speck in your tart .. highly addictive !! Also, I’ve used every combination of onion, they’re all good just don’t forget the wine when caramelizing (don’t be shy to use more than the 4 tablespoons mentioned). A sprinkling of salt after it’s cooked goes a long way too ! Also, this tart pairs beautifully with a Riesling wine :)

7. Jill says

Tried this recipe out on a family get together last Saturday, it went down a treat, all of it got eaten despite there being lots of other things on the table. Great recipe will be using it again and again.