Chocolate Cinnamon Shortbread Recipe

by Alice Currah on April 15, 2010

[donotprint]
Every now and then a girl needs a vacation, right? Well this week our family is on Spring Break.  I’ve promised my husband I will not blog or anything else related.  Instead I plan on catching up on reading books, which have collected dust on my nightstand.  Another priority is making sand castles on the beach and playing in the surf with my kids.  Who knows, maybe I’ll live on the wild side and take my husband up on his suggestion to treat myself to a pedicure!  But don’t worry, I’ve left Savory Sweet Life in good hands while I’m gone.  I have two amazing bloggers lined up to share with you wonderful recipes for sweets!

Today’s first guest post is from Hannah of HoneyandJam.com. I’m very excited to have Hannah guest posting on Savory Sweet Life.  If you’re not familiar with Hannah, trust me, you would be doing yourself a favor by visiting her beautiful blog.  While you’re there, soak up and be inspired from all her gorgeous still-life photography and yummy recipes.  Today she is sharing a recipe for Chocolate Cinnamon Shortbread which I cannot wait to try when we return home.  Thank you, Hannah!

I’m such a cookie person. I love how versatile they are – they can be pretty much any flavor you crave, are done in no time, and totally portable. The perfect sweet in my mind. Today, I was craving chocolate, not chocolate chip though, so I went on a search. I was flipping through Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook and this recipe jumped out at me. Chocolate and cinnamon shortbread? How could I resist!

These cookies are little gems – maybe the best chocolate cookie I’ve ever had. Rich and buttery, the chocolate flavor seems more pronounced due to the addition of cinnamon. I made two batches, the first in a round tart pan, they were thick, and almost fudgy, the second I rolled into a log and cut into rounds, they were much crisper. Both ways are utterly delicious!

[/donotprint]

Chocolate Cinnamon Shortbread
adapted from Martha Stewart

3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 1/2 tablespoons dutch process cocoa powder
heaping 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup superfine sugar

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt and baking soda until combined.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and superfine sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.

Form dough into 2 logs, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; wrap in parchment, and refrigerate 1/2 hour (or up to 3 days).

Preheat the oven to 325 F.

If frozen, let the logs stand at room temp for 10 minutes. Remove parchment. Slice logs into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, and space about 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake for about 12 minutes. Let cool.

(If you want thicker, fudgier cookies, press dough into a tart pan with removable bottom, bake at 325 for about 25 – 30 minutes.)

Jessica @ How Sweet April 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hope you enjoy your break, Alice! And these look delicious, Hannah! :)

Nicole April 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I must do something about my dusty books, too! These cookies look divine, Hannah. The pictures are gorgeous, as always :) Love the tart idea.

Michelle April 15, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Enjoy your vacation. Your blog is definitely in good hands with Hannah. I am such a fan, Hannah. You are so talented!

Kirstin April 15, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Looks great! What are you gonna do with the tart-shaped one? Fill it with something tasty?

steph April 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm

what a coincidence, i was just looking through martha stewart’s cookie book and i bookmarked this recipe! it must be a sign that i have to make them this weekend!

Andre@CocoaSensations April 15, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I really loved this recipe. This is really perfect for breakfast with a cup of tea. Can I used an ordinary cocoa powder instead of the dutch process?..Waiting for your reply and thanks for the post.

:D

Hannah April 16, 2010 at 1:01 am

kirsten: that’s a really good idea. i just cut it into wedges! i bet jam would be good…

andre: i just regular cocoa powder and it came out just fine!

Margo April 16, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Mmmmmmm, chocolate and cinnamon, such a delicious combination. These will remind me of my favorite hot chocolate recipe as I crunch on them, and that is good, because it is officially too hot here for hot chocolate now….

Scentsy Wickless Candles April 17, 2010 at 8:33 am

Stopped by to visit your blog after seeing you in the Mukilteo Journal. I’m so glad I did. Now it’s time to put all your great recipes into action.

dawnl55 April 18, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hi, This recipe sounds great. Would you be able to press this into a shortbread pan?

Maria April 19, 2010 at 9:52 am

I love Hannah’s site, great guest post. I can’t wait to try this sweet treat!

Amy from She Wears Many Hats April 19, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Whoa. These look perfect. How have I never had chocolate shortbread in my many years? So basic. So obvious. Will definitely be trying these soon.

Hannah April 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm

dawn: I’m sure that would work!

Divina April 22, 2010 at 3:53 am

Beautiful and tempting cookies from a great blogger and photographer.