Spinach Ricotta Quiche

by Alice Currah on April 28, 2010

[donotprint]Spinach quiche is one of my favorite dishes to make for dinner.  <-Yes, you heard me right.. dinner.  I love quiche because its basically fool-proof to prepare, satisfying to eat, and I always have ingredients on hand to make one.   By using store-bought pie-crust, preparing quiche is rather simple and quick.  It takes me about 10 minutes to prepare, pretty slick.. huh?

Today I am going to share with you one of my favorite variations of quiche made with spinach and ricotta cheese.  Most quiches call for Swiss cheese but I typically use whatever type of cheese I have on hand.  With that said, this means my quiches are made with Cheddar as well.  Although I do love homemade pie crust, I find the pre-made store bought kind pretty good to use, not to mention convenient.  This quiche would be perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and any sort of gathering.  If you’re wondering what to make for dinner tonight.. may I suggest this recipe?  Enjoy!
[/donotprint]
Spinach Ricotta Quiche

Ingredients:

1 – 9 ” unbaked pie crust

2 cups spinach, cooked and cut into pieces (make sure all excess water has been squeezed from the spinach)

1 cup heavy cream

4 eggs

1 cup ricotta cheese

1 cup Cheddar cheese

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.   Spray a pie plate or tart pan with non-stick spray.  Gently pat down pie crust around the base and sides of the pie plate, cutting off any excess with a knife (see picture below).  Poke several holes in the dough resting on the base of the plate.  Using a blender, mixer, or manually by hand – mix eggs, Ricotta and Cheddar cheese, heavy cream, salt, and pepper until everything is well incorporated.  Evenly distribute cooked spinach in the pie plate.  Add egg mixture and fill the pan/plate 1/4″ from the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked.  Allow quiche to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 28, 2010 at 6:41 am

Mmm that looks mouth-watering delicious!

Rocky Mountain Woman April 28, 2010 at 11:43 am

Oh my, that looks wonderful!

I love Quiche, maybe I’ll just run down to the deli and get some for lunch today!

Sarka April 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Oh, this quiche looks divine. I love spinach and ricotta. Wonderful combination!

bunkycooks April 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm

This is a beautiful quiche! I haven’t made one in a very long time. I forgot how simple they are to prepare.

Danielle April 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Quiche is one of our quick dinner staples too. We use Parmesan in ours and I’m curious about Ricotta – given that it’s more liquid in consistency, won’t it cause the bottom of the crust to be more soggy than crisp?

Sharlene April 28, 2010 at 9:26 pm

The quiche looks so beautiful! I just had a slice of bacon, cheddar, and scallion quiche for lunch today too and I’m still wanting to make this recipe ASAP.

J April 29, 2010 at 2:10 am

This looks so tasty and I have everything on hand too… great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Deelish Dish April 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

Definitely going to have to make quiche for dinner tonight. Droooool!

Maria April 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Quiche is good for any meal. Love the napkin-I have the same one:)

Sara April 29, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Quiche looks so good! Congrats on being featured on Martha Stewart Blog!!!!

Carol April 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Hi there, It’s Carol from Chicago
BIG THANKS for that incredible Spinach Ricotta Quiche………I’ve had many Quiches…..this is truly TO DIE FOR. The richness the ricotta adds is mind blowing!!!

I’m headed back to your posts now to see what else I can make of yours, many thanks, really really good. Warmly, Carol
KEEP THOSE POST COMING!!!!!!!!!!

Chez Us April 29, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Alice, your quiche looks and sounds amazing. I, too, love spinach; but, come to think of it have not added it to quiche in a long time. I will have to remember this recipe for the next time I decide to make one. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction April 30, 2010 at 8:47 am

Your quiche looks great! I noticed that you didn’t blind bake the crust, and it came out perfectly! I always bake mine first, but it adds quite a bit of time, and I rarely make quiche. I’ll try it this way next time!

Marc @ NoRecipes May 1, 2010 at 12:13 am

Great idea using ricotta. I’ve started putting ricotta in everything (including meatballs) to keep things moist.

Gaby May 1, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE ricotta! I made my own a few weeks back and didn’t think to make a quiche with it… such a great idea!

Jessy May 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

So easy and delicious! I’ve only eaten quiche for Easter and other special occasions, but I definitely will try this easy recipe. Thanks!

Cherine May 3, 2010 at 3:01 am

This quiche looks really beautiful and delicious!!

Jennifer (Savor) May 3, 2010 at 7:34 pm

We are also obsessed with quiche and frittatas for dinners . I have found success with cutting fat by using whole milk and have not missed it….until now. :)

Laura May 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Made this tonight for dinner. Served with fresh strawberries from the local Farmer’s Market. All I can say is…. DIVINE! It was excellent. My new go to recipe for quiche!

Kathy May 5, 2010 at 4:51 pm

My ten-year-old son helped me make this last night. My husband and I loved it. The ten-year-old had a hamburger patty to go along with his sliver of quiche. He’s not big on spinach…. I will definately make this again. So easy, and so easy to adapt with different ingredients. Thanks!

Jewish Music May 16, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Looks great will have to try this recipe.

AK July 26, 2010 at 8:16 am

Just a quick note to say I have just found your site, via the Desperation Dinner Ladies, and their “Kitchen Scoop” site. The photos you provide are outstanding, and a huge help with “envisioning” how a recipe should look as you work. Thank you so much for doing this!

alice July 26, 2010 at 8:38 am

So glad you enjoy the site!

Jessica August 4, 2010 at 11:35 am

I came across your site the other day while I was looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I used yours and made them into ice cream sandwiches for my boyfriend’s mom’s birthday yesterday and she LOVED them! The first batch I made, I scooped onto the pan too big so they came out like one giant rectangular cookie. My boyfriend and his friend who was over at the time were very thankful for my mishap and I’m happy to say that the next batches came out much better! They were delicious and I’d like to thank you for introducing me to this scrumptious recipe!

When I first read the recipe for the cookies I skipped right over the salt because my mom bakes and told me when I started baking with her that she never uses salt when recipes called for it. Since she was the one who taught me to bake, I took after her and never added it to my ingredients. Then I thought about it and figured, if I’m going to use your recipe, I’m going to do it the right way! I am very glad I did; the sea salt was an amazing addition! You could really taste it sometimes and it was so good because the cookie was so sweet but then you got a little hint of salty! PERFECT!

Anyways, on to the main point of this comment. I want to make this quiche for a couple of my co-workers to bring for breakfast on Monday. Do you think if I made it Sunday evening it would still be good by Monday morning?

Bonnie September 11, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe! I have made it over and over again. It is simply delicious!

Hannah February 8, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I just made this quiche and it was very good. However I had to cook mine for about 70 ish minutes. At 45 minutes the middle was still jello-like.

thanks for the recipe

Leah February 27, 2011 at 10:47 pm

How do you cook spinach? The recipe looks so easy. I will try it. I love your website.

alice February 28, 2011 at 1:38 am

Hi Leah, Just toss the spinach into some boiling water and remove immediately. Then squeeze any excess water out.

Nancy April 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm

can your Spinach Ricotta Quiche be made in a 9 x 12 pan and if so, how would I change the ingredients, just double them? Have you ever used two Pillsbury Pie crusts to cover a 9×12 pan, and is there a trick to doing that? I need to make a quiche for 12-14 people and am lost.

Nancy April 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm

sorry forgot to ask two more questions, can this be made the day before and refrigerated until ready to bake? Also can you substitute frozen spinach for fresh?

alice April 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I probably wouldn’t double the recipe for 9×12, but would increase a 1/2 batch amount. Your baking time may be a little longer as well. As far as pie crust, I would cut the edges off to form a square from a circle and lay it down. Use the edges to fill around the sides by patting the seams down.

Yes to frozen spinach. Not sure about refrigerator. The egg mixture would be fine, it’s the crust I would be worried about getting soggy.

Alice

Jess September 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Mmmmmmmmm. I was actually thinking about spinach and ricotta cannelloni, but this is so much nicer. Definitely need to try this sometime soon…. and yes, for DINNER. =)

Shannon April 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I just made this and it was a big hit! Thanks Alice, you have a fantastic website. I have enough ingredients left over to make a second quiche and I was wondering if you think this would freeze okay once fully cooked?

PA February 1, 2013 at 10:36 am

That looks mouthwatering! I must say, I always favour the sweet over the savoury but this recipe is seriously making me change my mind…