{Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki

by Alice Currah on May 2, 2010. Updated June 1, 2010

[donotprint]
Would you believe there are as many teriyaki restaurants as there are Starbucks in Seattle?  Well, maybe not as many but certainly there are a ton.  In fact, there are five of them within 2 miles of my house compared to three Starbucks.  Although teriyaki is Japanese most of the teriyaki restaurants in town are owned by Koreans.  Most of them use similar recipes for their teriyaki sauce and you wouldn’t believe how ridiculously easy it is to make at home.  I should forewarn any purists out there that this recipe is Korean restaurant style and not an authentic Japanese version.  My uncle used to own a deli and we would prepare teriyaki for the lunch hour.  This is where I learned to make teriyaki sauce.  Its sweet in flavor and is a great finishing sauce for any grilled meat or vegetables.  I would also like to disclose right now that this recipe uses garlic powder- I can hear the virtual gasps happening right now as you read this. It is what it is.  You can always substitute fresh garlic.. whatever makes you happy!  :)  Enjoy! [/donotprint]

Grilled Salmon Teriyaki Recipe

Ingredients and Directions for Grilled Teriyaki Salmon

salmon fillets

salt and pepper

non stick spray

teriyaki sauce *see recipe below

green onions, slivered (as much or little as you like)

Instructions:

Heat grill on high heat.  Spray grill with non-stick spray and cook salmon (skin side up, flesh side down) for 5 minutes.  Turn salmon fillets over and cook for another 4-6 minutes until salmon is cooked through.  Drizzle teriyaki sauce over salmon to your liking.  Top off with green onion slivers. Enjoy!

Teriyaki Sauce Recipe

Ingredients:

1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (pls. use organic San-J Tamari sauce for gluten-free)

1/3 cup cold water

2 teaspoons corn starch

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon garlic powder

*optional 1 tsp. grated ginger and 1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Directions:

In a medium pan add all the ingredients except water and corn starch.  In a small cup dissolve corn starch and water before adding to sauce pan.  Cook sauce on medium heat for 5 minutes occasionally stirring.    Serve immediately and store any left overs in the refrigerator for future use.

Kelly May 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

It looks absolutely devine! How does your fish not stick to the grill? I have had the worst time with my grill pan and fish. Is there a secret?

alice May 3, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Hi Kelly,
I typically wait until the grill is nice and hot before brushing on vegetable or olive oil. I immediately will place my seafood or meat on right after. This seems to help prevent the fish from sticking. Hope this helps!

Robin July 15, 2011 at 8:23 am

Use non-stick foil. I did. Beautiful results

Maria May 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Perfect recipe for summer. I love the bright color of the salmon.

Miya May 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I miss Seattle teriyaki!!!

Wizzythestick May 2, 2010 at 11:33 pm

So simple yet so amazing.

Katie @ The Well-Fed Newlyweds May 3, 2010 at 11:52 am

That looks delicious. It’s only breakfast time, but I could really go for that salmon bowl right now!

Crepes of Wrath May 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm

That salmon looks like absolutely perfection! I love teriyaki on almost anything, even just plain rice!

Shari May 3, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have tried so many different sauces as I really perfer not to eat out (even take-out). I will be trying this tonight!

Maggy @ Three Many Cooks May 3, 2010 at 3:41 pm

This looks so fresh, easy and absolutely delicious! You always have the best recipes…and your photography! Ugh, I’m jealous ;)

merry jennifer May 3, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I find myself craving salmon after reading your post. I’m always looking for new ways to cook it — especially since my husband is not a big fish-fan. I’m not convinced I can get him to eat salmon, but I’m sure going to try your way and see if the teriyaki sauce doesn’t bowl him over.

PS – Looking forward to meeting you in Seattle at IFBC (thought I read that you’re going, too).

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 3, 2010 at 10:27 pm

This looks lovely! Your photos are beautiful!

Janice May 4, 2010 at 12:02 am

I’m not a fish lover, but I’m trying to eat it more often. I grilled salmon on Sunday night, but I wish I had seen your recipe first. Thanks for the post!

maykong May 4, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Looks wonderful! I’m going to try this next week for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

Hilary May 5, 2010 at 11:41 am

This teriyaki sauce was delicious! I stumbled upon it yesterday and yesterday evening I made stir fry for dinner with this sauce. It has now found a place in my recipe box. Thanks!

Liza de Guia May 12, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I was looking for an easy recipe just like this! It’s wild king salmon season and I’m going to take advantage :) Thanks!

Tracey September 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Hi Alice. I made this recipe tonight. My husband raved about the teriyaki sauce. He thought it was the perfect accompanyment for the salmon. Even my 4yo son had seconds!

Michelle February 17, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I just wanted to pop by and tell you I have made this recipe over and over and it really is fantastic!

Skip Bell August 21, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I hate cooked fish…….but…tonight we bought some wild fresh salmon. Now I like it, thanks.

Mary January 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

looking forward to making this for my family. I think my Korean husband will like this version of sauce. I love your blog. I’m also going to try the bulgogi this week too.

alice February 2, 2012 at 2:50 am

Hi Mary, how did the teriyaki turn out? I made bulgogi this week too. Love it with steamed rice!

Simple recipes September 11, 2012 at 9:44 am

Easy recipe to prepare! I love salmon! Fun to prepare all your recipes. Well done
My grandmother makes exactly this recipe

reza January 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Best Teriyaki Sauce Ever. The garlic powder clumped up so I threw it along with a small square of ginger in the blender to liquify. Used Korean chilli powder.

samantha January 31, 2013 at 12:47 am

Just tried this and flavor is great! I used fresh garlic and a bit of garlic powder. Didn’t have cornstarch so used tapioca starch instead. Will try using honey instead of sugar next time just to experiment. This one’s a keeper!

The Foodie Mommy February 23, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I really love salmon and I found this post as I was looking for a recipe for salmon with teriyaki sauce. I am planning to cook this at home soon as I crave for something I have tasted at Vikings buffet restaurant.

I’ll use fresh garlic perhaps.