{Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki

Salmon Teriyaki {Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki[donotprint]
Would you believe there are as many teriyaki restaurants as there are Starbucks in Seattle?  Well, maybe not as many but certainly there are a ton.  In fact, there are five of them within 2 miles of my house compared to three Starbucks.  Although teriyaki is Japanese most of the teriyaki restaurants in town are owned by Koreans.  Most of them use similar recipes for their teriyaki sauce and you wouldn’t believe how ridiculously easy it is to make at home.  I should forewarn any purists out there that this recipe is Korean restaurant style and not an authentic Japanese version.  My uncle used to own a deli and we would prepare teriyaki for the lunch hour.  This is where I learned to make teriyaki sauce.  Its sweet in flavor and is a great finishing sauce for any grilled meat or vegetables.  I would also like to disclose right now that this recipe uses garlic powder- I can hear the virtual gasps happening right now as you read this. It is what it is.  You can always substitute fresh garlic.. whatever makes you happy!  :)  Enjoy! [/donotprint]

Grilled Salmon Teriyaki Recipe

Ingredients and Directions for Grilled Teriyaki Salmon

salmon fillets

salt and pepper

non stick spray

teriyaki sauce *see recipe below

green onions, slivered (as much or little as you like)

Instructions:

Heat grill on high heat.  Spray grill with non-stick spray and cook salmon (skin side up, flesh side down) for 5 minutes.  Turn salmon fillets over and cook for another 4-6 minutes until salmon is cooked through.  Drizzle teriyaki sauce over salmon to your liking.  Top off with green onion slivers. Enjoy!

Teriyaki Sauce Recipe

Ingredients:

1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (pls. use organic San-J Tamari sauce for gluten-free)

1/3 cup cold water

2 teaspoons corn starch

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon garlic powder

*optional 1 tsp. grated ginger and 1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Directions:

In a medium pan add all the ingredients except water and corn starch.  In a small cup dissolve corn starch and water before adding to sauce pan.  Cook sauce on medium heat for 5 minutes occasionally stirring.    Serve immediately and store any left overs in the refrigerator for future use.

saltandpeppersalmon {Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki
salmonpieces1 {Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki
grillingsalmon {Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyakigrilledsalmon {Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki
choppedgreenonions {Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki
salmonteriyaki1 {Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki

pin it button {Simple & Wonderful} Grilled Salmon Teriyaki

Comments

1. Kelly says

It looks absolutely devine! How does your fish not stick to the grill? I have had the worst time with my grill pan and fish. Is there a secret?

• says

Hi Kelly,
      I typically wait until the grill is nice and hot before brushing on vegetable or olive oil. I immediately will place my seafood or meat on right after. This seems to help prevent the fish from sticking. Hope this helps!

2. Shari says

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have tried so many different sauces as I really perfer not to eat out (even take-out). I will be trying this tonight!

I find myself craving salmon after reading your post. I’m always looking for new ways to cook it — especially since my husband is not a big fish-fan. I’m not convinced I can get him to eat salmon, but I’m sure going to try your way and see if the teriyaki sauce doesn’t bowl him over.

PS – Looking forward to meeting you in Seattle at IFBC (thought I read that you’re going, too).

I’m not a fish lover, but I’m trying to eat it more often. I grilled salmon on Sunday night, but I wish I had seen your recipe first. Thanks for the post!

5. Hilary says

This teriyaki sauce was delicious! I stumbled upon it yesterday and yesterday evening I made stir fry for dinner with this sauce. It has now found a place in my recipe box. Thanks!

Hi Alice. I made this recipe tonight. My husband raved about the teriyaki sauce. He thought it was the perfect accompanyment for the salmon. Even my 4yo son had seconds!

7. Mary says

looking forward to making this for my family. I think my Korean husband will like this version of sauce. I love your blog. I’m also going to try the bulgogi this week too.

8. reza says

Best Teriyaki Sauce Ever. The garlic powder clumped up so I threw it along with a small square of ginger in the blender to liquify. Used Korean chilli powder.

9. samantha says

Just tried this and flavor is great! I used fresh garlic and a bit of garlic powder. Didn’t have cornstarch so used tapioca starch instead. Will try using honey instead of sugar next time just to experiment. This one’s a keeper!

I really love salmon and I found this post as I was looking for a recipe for salmon with teriyaki sauce. I am planning to cook this at home soon as I crave for something I have tasted at Vikings buffet restaurant.

I’ll use fresh garlic perhaps.