Creamy Mashed Potatoes

by Alice Currah on November 21, 2010. Updated November 9, 2011

Praise the Lord for the gift of mashed potatoes! Can I get an Amen?! The only thing better than mashed potatoes are mashed potatoes made with lots of butter and cream and whipped into a creamy delicious side dish which can only be described as heavenly.

Thanksgiving Day wouldn’t be complete without plenty of mashed potatoes for everyone to enjoy, especially when we all know everyone likes to go back to the serving table for seconds and thirds. I’m convinced my kids believe my mashed potatoes are the main dish and the turkey is the side. In fact, when we serve mashed potatoes family style, I often need to remind them to only take one or two scoops so everyone gets at least one serving –otherwise the only thing they would ever eat is mashed potatoes.

Making mashed potatoes is very easy to make. I like using Yukon gold or Russet potatoes and prefer them with the peels off. Next, I’ll cut the potatoes in half, and quarter them in smaller pieces so they are about 1 inch thick. I boil them in (salted) water until they are so tender, when I stick a fork into them, they fall apart.

If the potatoes are cooked through but not ultra soft, cook the potatoes five minutes longer. I like to boil mine about 25 minutes.

Most people add a combination of butter, cream, broth, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, and salt. You could easily come up with your own combination. Just make sure you add your liquid ingredients until you reach your desired consistency.

Many people call for using a potato masher to mix their potatoes. My preferred method has always been using a hand mixer and mixing everything for a few minutes. The key to using a hand or stand mixer is making sure not to cream the potatoes on high speed, otherwise the starch in the potatoes turn to a glue like texture which is very undesirable. My hand mixer recently broke so I use my Kitchenaid. I whip the potatoes at a medium-low speed using the whip attachment with just the butter for 1 minute. From there I slowly add the cream until I reach the consistency I want. I also like to scrape down the bowl a few times, just like cake batter, to make sure there are no big lumps hiding at the base of the bowl.

If you prefer ultra smooth potatoes, you’ll need to use a ricer or mill. If you don’t have either, like me, I push cooked potatoes in small batches through a metal mesh colander which has similar results. From there I stir in melted butter, cream and salt and pepper.

Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 4

Homemade Creamy Mashed Potatoes for any occasion.
  • 2 lb Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cubed in 2 inch pieces
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • ½ cup whipping cream
  • Salt and pepper
  1. In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add potatoes and cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes in a colander. Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl and cream potatoes with butter and cream on medium low speed with a hand mixer for a few minutes. Feel free to add more cream, butter, or milk, a tablespoon at a time a for more creamy texture.Season with salt and pepper.
Notes
If you are using a ricer or mill, do not mix with a hand mixer. Instead use a rubber spatula to stir in the butter and cream. You can also use a metal mesh colander for the same results as a ricer as pictured above.

Strawberry CAKE November 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm

OH we do love us some mashed taters around here too! Have you ever taken leftovers and made mashed potato quesadillas with caramelized onions and any type of cheese that suits your fancy? Great TD leftover meal.

the blissful baker November 21, 2010 at 9:02 pm

oh yum! i’m not a huge fan (i prefer sweet potatoes!), but your recipe looks fantastic!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. November 22, 2010 at 10:12 am

These look wonderful, and she is adorable. I have never had mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving, and I am wondering why and how I have missed this. Is it because I live in the south and we just have cornbread dressing? Anyway, I am going to add them to my menu and see what my family thinks! Have a wonderful holiday, Alison

Medifast Coupons November 22, 2010 at 10:23 am

Mashed potatoes are comfort food to me, and can eat them daily. Oh yeah they have to have butter, lots and lots of butter.

Heather @ The Single Dish November 22, 2010 at 11:37 am

Mashed potatoes really are the best, I need to eat them more often. I haven’t prepared then with a ricer or mill, they look extra smooth and creamy that way!

Maris (In Good Taste) November 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Yum! I made mashed potatoes the other day and threw some goat cheese in there. I love them, so creamy! And Thanksgiving is the perfect time of year to not feel bad about all the butter!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite November 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

This is very similar to how I make my heavenly mashed potatoes. The cream is where it’s at! Looks delish!

Tickled Red November 22, 2010 at 6:31 pm

AMEN Sister!! There is definitely nothing more heavenly than perfect mashed potatoes :) PS: I’m digging the swim meet numbers on little bits arm, that’s my girl!

joudie's Mood Food November 22, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Amen! This is insane! Who knew something so simple could blow your socks off!

Jenny November 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Oh, what a terrific idea – to use the mesh strainer instead of getting a food mill or ricer; what another great tip for an already great multi-tasker! I’ve been wondering what to do since I want to make some fluffy potatoes for Thanksgiving but didn’t want to buy another kitchen gadget – thanks for the tip!

Pretty. Good. Food. November 22, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Mmmm, what a simple recipe, I love it! Great photos too! Makes me hungry and ready for Thanksgiving :)!!!

Emily November 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

These look fantastic! Just to double-check, did you mean to call for one pound of potatoes or five? Thanks!!

alice November 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Hi Emily: 1 pound.

lauren November 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm

sounds so yummy! i recently made mashed potatoes with buttermilk and they were heavenly! i’ll have to try whipped cream next :)

leslie November 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I could live on Mashed potatoes!!!

betty November 24, 2010 at 6:17 am

yummy! :O) i LOVE potato ANYTHING haha especially fried but mash i can eat as much as i want without the guilt (or, less of hehe)

Michelle November 26, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Amen to that. I do love mashed potatoes, and they are definitely one of the best parts of the Thanksgiving table for me. I just smash mine all up with some sour cream, butter, milk, and cheddar. My mom uses the mixer and just adds milk and butter. Either way is utterly divine in my book!

Chris November 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm

One of my favorites, no matter which way I make them. As you mentioned, I like using a ricer. It gives it such a light texture. But sometimes I just mash it with a big fork or mixer. Whatever is out and more convenient at the time.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your family.

Von November 29, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Alice, thank-you so much for this recipe. It is so easy and so delicious. I was too lazy to use a mixer of any sort so I just used a potato masher instead and it came out very creamy with a great texture. You should put a ‘Donation’ button next to each recipe. Every recipe I attempted from your site comes out fantastic and makes me want to make a little contribution each time I use one because I don’t mind paying for something I appreciate. If you ever publish a cookbook, I’ll definitely place a pre-order on Amazon.

Dinetonite December 1, 2010 at 10:29 am

Cheesy potatoes! Sound wonderful! I may have to try this!

Strategic Marketing April 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I love hot mashed potatoes but never got around to learning how to make it just the way I like it – thanks for the tutorials. I learnt how to mash the potatoes with a mesh, too.

Thanks

Corinna August 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Lucinda Scala Quinn’s recipe calls for 1 cup of warm milk and 4 oz. of mascarpone cheese. Absolutely delish. Can’t wait to try yours this weekend, using heavy cream.