Homemade Peppermint Patties

peppermintpatty Homemade Peppermint Patties I did it.  And now you’re going to have to do it, too.  It’s a natural consequence for those of you who follow this blog.  You may be asking yourself exactly what I did and because you want to know, I’m going to show you, step-by step.  I apologize in advance if you find yourself unable to fit into those cute holiday skinny jeans you were hoping to wear.  I’m sorry if you were planning on eating just one, but ate 12… in an hour.  However, I’m not sorry if this ridiculously easy recipe makes you look like Martha Stewart.  I’m also not sorry if people gush over you because you were able to share some holiday cheer with friends and family.  Let’s get one thing clear… people will think you’re more awesome than you already are and that is a good thing.

So let’s get started.  We are going to make homemade peppermint patties and you’re going to follow along at home.  Got it?  Good.

4.5 from 13 reviews
Homemade Peppermint Patties
Recipe type: Candy
Serves: 32 pieces

Homemade Peppermint Candies
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 5½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
  • 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3 tablespoons shortening
  1. Add condensed milk, 2 cups of powdered sugar, and peppermint extract to a large mixing bowl. Mix everything on medium speed using the paddle attachment until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Add more powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, until the dough is stiff but still pliable.
  2. Roll ¾″ balls of dough between the palms of the hands.
  3. Press each ball down slowly and set the flattened disk on a flat cutting board or plate. Transfer peppermint disks to the freezer for no longer than 30 minutes. While the dough is chilling, temper the chocolate coating.
  4. Place chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl. Melt the chocolate in 30 second increments, making sure to stir after each time until chocolate is smooth. Stir in shortening to thin the chocolate. Remove patties from the freezer.
  5. Place a patty on the tines of the fork and dip in the chocolate until completely covered. Allow excess chocolate to drip off the patty before setting each one on top of wax or parchment paper.
  6. Allow the chocolate coated peppermint patties to completely set up. This can be done quicker by placing the patties in the refrigerator. The peppermint patties are ready when they are dry to the touch. Enjoy!

condensedmilk Homemade Peppermint Patties

mintdough Homemade Peppermint Patties

peppermintball Homemade Peppermint Patties

flatteneddisk Homemade Peppermint Patties

temper chocolate Homemade Peppermint Patties

dippedpatties Homemade Peppermint Patties

peppermintpatties Homemade Peppermint Patties

peppermintpatty1 Homemade Peppermint Patties

pin it button Homemade Peppermint Patties

Comments

1. Kim says

I was so excited to find this recipe and make it.I just finished making them and they turned out soooo messy!The chocolate got too thick,so I put in more margerine and melted to thin the chocolate ,but it did not work.Very dissappointed.

• Kristin says

The first few times I made these mine were really messy too. Now I melt the chocolate/shortening in a glass bowl set over simmering water, and leave it there while I dip the patties. This way I don’t have to keep reheating the chocolate. Also, I put the dough patties on parchment paper, and take them out of the freezer in small batches – this keeps them harder and easier to dip. (I must make my patties really small because I end up with over 100 of these things and it takes a while to dip them.) Every time I make these I get a little quicker and neater. Practice makes perfect… and also a lot of peppermint patties. :)

2. Carolee Zickefoose says

I was looking for some mint patties with the exact ingredients yours had. That’s what I had on hand. Easy and delicious. Thank you.

3. Meara says

I came across your site by accident because I was searching for the ingredients list for York Peppermint Patties. I made these patties yesterday and I can’t stop eating them! I’m not sure if I should be mad or glad about it :) Thank you for the recipe!

4. b.lee says

Just made these, and my husband couldn’t stop snacking on them.

I found freezing the patties overnight on a parchment lined cookie sheet helped with the dipping as it gave me more time to dip them before they became too soft.

Also, I used a plastic fork with the two center tines cut out to dip the patty in the chocolate. It made it easier to dip, drain, and slide the patty back on the the parchment lined cookie sheet. The cold cookie sheet help set the chocoate, and rechill the patty so I didn’t have to worry too much about them melting in a warm kitchen.

Amazing! LOVE them! Our daughter is allergic to eggs. Store bought peppermint patties all have egg whites, so she has never been able to enjoy them! These are wonderful. To make them extra pretty, take any left-over melted chocolate and drizzle over them after they are hardened. So good!