Homemade Peppermint Patties

by Alice Currah on December 8, 2010. Updated May 26, 2011

I did it.  And now you’re going to have to do it, too.  It’s a natural consequence for those of you who follow this blog.  You may be asking yourself exactly what I did and because you want to know, I’m going to show you, step-by step.  I apologize in advance if you find yourself unable to fit into those cute holiday skinny jeans you were hoping to wear.  I’m sorry if you were planning on eating just one, but ate 12… in an hour.  However, I’m not sorry if this ridiculously easy recipe makes you look like Martha Stewart.  I’m also not sorry if people gush over you because you were able to share some holiday cheer with friends and family.  Let’s get one thing clear… people will think you’re more awesome than you already are and that is a good thing.

So let’s get started.  We are going to make homemade peppermint patties and you’re going to follow along at home.  Got it?  Good.

Homemade Peppermint Patties
Recipe type: Candy
Serves: 32 pieces

Homemade Peppermint Candies
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 5½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
  • 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3 tablespoons shortening
  1. Add condensed milk, 2 cups of powdered sugar, and peppermint extract to a large mixing bowl. Mix everything on medium speed using the paddle attachment until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Add more powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, until the dough is stiff but still pliable.
  2. Roll ¾″ balls of dough between the palms of the hands.
  3. Press each ball down slowly and set the flattened disk on a flat cutting board or plate. Transfer peppermint disks to the freezer for no longer than 30 minutes. While the dough is chilling, temper the chocolate coating.
  4. Place chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl. Melt the chocolate in 30 second increments, making sure to stir after each time until chocolate is smooth. Stir in shortening to thin the chocolate. Remove patties from the freezer.
  5. Place a patty on the tines of the fork and dip in the chocolate until completely covered. Allow excess chocolate to drip off the patty before setting each one on top of wax or parchment paper.
  6. Allow the chocolate coated peppermint patties to completely set up. This can be done quicker by placing the patties in the refrigerator. The peppermint patties are ready when they are dry to the touch. Enjoy!

Martha May 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Sorry for what is possibly a silly question, but of the 5.5 cups sugar I can only see instructions in step 1 for adding 2 cups. Do you start mixing with the 2 cups and then keep adding the rest of the sugar in increments?

Thanks for the 14oz can size for the condensed milk!

Tom November 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Read ALL of step one and you’ll see that after mixing 2 cups of sugar with the milk, you add the rest of the sugar in 1/2 cup increments until you’ve added all 5.5 cups.

Athena April 11, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Tom, if you read ALL of the comments you’ll notice that the author accidentally left off that crucial step back in May, and then corrected it way before you were able to read this post and leave your snarky comment.

Keri May 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Hi there. I’m now wondering the same thing- it says 5.5 cups are needed in the ingredients but only 2 cups in the directions. When I sift the powder sugar, does it make less than the 5.5cups?

Keri

alice May 26, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Hi.. you’ll want to add a 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time after the first 2 cups have been mixed in. The dough should be stiff and pliable. I just recently started converting recipes over to this new format for printing and accidentally left that step out in the process. I fixed the recipe. Thanks for letting me know.

wedding gowns May 30, 2011 at 2:41 am

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks a lot

Noa June 27, 2011 at 9:05 am

Thank you for the recipe, it looks delicious!
For those who shop far away from you- how much is “1 can sweetened condensed milk”?
I once found condensed milk it in a tube, and probably can also find a can, but I want to make sure I have the right quantity.
Thanks! Noa.

Katie June 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

This recipe is amazing! These peppermint patties are delicious! My husband likes them better than York peppermint patties. I can’t wait to have the rest of my family try them!

Mehreen July 27, 2011 at 3:03 am

Hi, I love all your recipies! I want to make these patties , they look divine. Shortening is not available where I live and was wondering what could be its substitute?
Please let me know, thanks!!

Chocolate Candy Mall November 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm

We don’t really have “shortening” available here in Australia either, but I sometimes use Copha (which is a coconut oil based product much like shortening). If you don’t have anything equivalent, you can just use a little vegetable oil. It just helps to make the chocolate a little thinner and shiny. Another option is paramount crystals, but I don’t know if you’ll be able to locate that in your area either. If all else fails, leave it out. It’s not necessary to the success of the recipe. :)

Gemma September 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to say how great I find all your recipes. I came across this by accident,and it’s the best thing iv found.
Also I notice in this one,and few others that you use shortening. Can you please let me know what this is? Daft,I know!
Many thanks.

Chocolate Candy Mall November 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Hi Gemma,

It’s not daft not to be familiar with shortening. :) It’s not a world-wide phenomenon, which we cooks sometimes forget when sharing recipes with the world.

Shortening is basically a solid fat. This recipe is referring to vegetable shortening (Crisco is a popular brand name), but there are milk fats and animal fats that can also be referred to as shortening.

If you don’t have access to a vegetable shortening in your area, you can use a little vegetable oil instead like I mentioned to another person who was asking about it.

I don’t know what other recipes you were referring to, but in recipes like pastry that call for shortening, butter can usually be substituted with success.

Cathy October 17, 2011 at 2:46 am

I just got directed to your site by another one that I subscribe to and felt like I was with a friend just by the way you wrote. You sound like me and I love it. I can’t wait to try the recipe for peppermint patties also by the way. Thanks for the smile and chuckle.

Barbara October 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

I don’t have a paddle attachment for my mixer. Should I use my dough hooks or can I use the regular beaters?

alice October 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Sorry for the late response. Regular beaters will work just fine.

Heather November 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm

These look amazing. I bookmarked this last year, and plan to make it this year en-mass to give away in small gift bags to various people. What’s the best way to scale up the recipe? Mostly I’m thinking about the sifted powdered sugar – the reference for 1 lb. sifted powdered sugar = 4-3/4 cups… Could I use a 2 lb. bag to double the recipe, or do I need to be more precise? Any thoughts are much appreciated!!

PS – Love the site – keep it coming!

alice November 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hi Heather,

Yes, double the recipe. One thing to keep in mind is the texture of the mint patty. You want to be able to work with it and have it not so sticky. Adjust the recipe according to texture.

Heather November 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Great – will do. Thanks for the tip, and the quick response!

Jillian November 24, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’m excited to try this recipe out for Christmas gifts! About how many patties does one recipe/batch make? Thanks in advance!

alice November 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Hi Jillian,
I don’t have an exact number. Sorry.

Mel December 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Oh this recipe looks wonderful! I have a cookie exchange next weekend and I’m going to make up these and take them. It looks wonderfully easy!

leah December 5, 2011 at 10:30 am

Hi Alice — wondering if these are freezeable? What do you think? Leah

alice December 6, 2011 at 2:18 am

Yes, you can freeze them!

aims December 14, 2011 at 11:22 pm

they are, dare i say, better straight from the freezer. especially when you forget it was in there. best freezer surprise ever!

evy December 6, 2011 at 9:43 am

I have made these every year. So delicious! Just received a request for them. What nice pictures you take to go along with the instructions!! Thank you and keep those recipes coming!!! U.S.A.

Lera December 14, 2011 at 1:32 am

I just tried this recipe today. It is marvelous!! I love that the author uses pictures to show every step. It is so easy, I don’t know why I ever wasted money on York’s when this is so much better and so inexpensive. I doubled the recipe to have plenty to put in holiday treat bags. I also used milk chocolate instead of semi sweet, utterly perfect. Big hit with my family, I’m sure it will be with yours as well!

alice December 14, 2011 at 1:55 am

So glad you enjoyed them, Lera!

Stevie December 17, 2011 at 12:19 am

Hello,
Just tried this tonight and they are so so yummy!! Me and my husband made them together!
Any advice on how to dip them better though? We had some trouble doing this and was curious.

Michael December 19, 2011 at 6:38 pm

My friend made these, and I asked for the recipe because they were so delicious! However, I only have peppermint oil, instead of peppermint extract. I read online that if you use 1/4 as much oil as you would extract (i.e. 1/4 tablespoon peppermint oil), that it should be the same. Do you have any experience with that? Thanks for the recipe!

Amy Garcia December 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I made these peppermint patties…thet are so easy to make! this was my first try and the came out great! thank you for sharing… and Merry Christmas

Karen January 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Do you think hand mixers will work in place of the mixer with the paddle attachment?

malinda February 17, 2012 at 6:29 am

Hey there! I was wondering if this recipe could be used with any flavoring of extract, such as orange? Thanks!

Becky March 4, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Instead of shortening, we use paraffin wax. Just a half of bar for this receipe would be enough. I’m from South Carolina, United States. Shortening is a way of life here, but I don’t care to use it because of how fattening it is.

taly March 13, 2012 at 7:42 am

Is there a substitute for sweetened condensed milk? Israel does not have such product.
Also shortening if we’re on the subject, I saw some coconut fat in a jar, is that the same? :D haha

Rita November 8, 2012 at 1:44 am

I always use coconut oil/solid instead of shortening. Also, I think there are either recipes to make your own condensed milk or substitutes available. Just Google it. That’s what I do when I don’t have the exact ingredient.

Corinn September 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

Have you ever tried these with dark chocolate? I love york peppermint patties so I wanted to try to make some homemade; I have never tried any that don’t have dark chocolate. Do you think they taste better? Thanks for the recipe!

Shannon October 22, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I have ALWAYS wanted to make homemade peppermint patties!! I will have to try these for sure during the holidays this year!! Thanks for sharing!

Shan

Jenna November 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Disappointed with the outcome. The recipe was going great until the chocolate coating. The chocolate refused to stick to the minty center and I just ended up “pouring” it over the top and having to spread it over each dollop by hand.

Yes I did refrigerate and then freeze the dough before doing the chocolate. I would say that the semi sweet chocolate chips and shortening (butter) are not the way to do this, it just simply would not evenly coat.

The final product is delicious, but they look hideous and therefore I am hesistant to give them as gifts :/

Sarah November 30, 2012 at 9:49 am

Just made these peppermint patties for the first time and they are easy to make and taste awesome!

Kim December 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I was so excited to find this recipe and make it.I just finished making them and they turned out soooo messy!The chocolate got too thick,so I put in more margerine and melted to thin the chocolate ,but it did not work.Very dissappointed.

Kristin January 4, 2013 at 2:23 pm

The first few times I made these mine were really messy too. Now I melt the chocolate/shortening in a glass bowl set over simmering water, and leave it there while I dip the patties. This way I don’t have to keep reheating the chocolate. Also, I put the dough patties on parchment paper, and take them out of the freezer in small batches – this keeps them harder and easier to dip. (I must make my patties really small because I end up with over 100 of these things and it takes a while to dip them.) Every time I make these I get a little quicker and neater. Practice makes perfect… and also a lot of peppermint patties. :)

Carolee Zickefoose December 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I was looking for some mint patties with the exact ingredients yours had. That’s what I had on hand. Easy and delicious. Thank you.

Meara January 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I came across your site by accident because I was searching for the ingredients list for York Peppermint Patties. I made these patties yesterday and I can’t stop eating them! I’m not sure if I should be mad or glad about it :) Thank you for the recipe!

b.lee December 8, 2013 at 2:31 am

Just made these, and my husband couldn’t stop snacking on them.

I found freezing the patties overnight on a parchment lined cookie sheet helped with the dipping as it gave me more time to dip them before they became too soft.

Also, I used a plastic fork with the two center tines cut out to dip the patty in the chocolate. It made it easier to dip, drain, and slide the patty back on the the parchment lined cookie sheet. The cold cookie sheet help set the chocoate, and rechill the patty so I didn’t have to worry too much about them melting in a warm kitchen.

Pam February 16, 2014 at 8:19 am

Good advice! :)

Kimberly January 18, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I like to roll out and use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes with the patties. Then top with holiday sprinkles.

Pam February 16, 2014 at 8:18 am

Amazing! LOVE them! Our daughter is allergic to eggs. Store bought peppermint patties all have egg whites, so she has never been able to enjoy them! These are wonderful. To make them extra pretty, take any left-over melted chocolate and drizzle over them after they are hardened. So good!

Alice Currah February 19, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I bet your daughter really appreciated your efforts!