Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Butter Stacks

by Alice Currah on February 24, 2011. Updated June 2, 2011

Some days all I want to do is be completely lazy.  And let me tell you, laziness has its privileges.  Spending the entire day in my pajamas, sleeping in, and selfishly setting aside my normal routine in order to experience the type of instant gratification becoming of a six year old child.  Yep, that was me the other day, except without the tantrum but complete with dancing to Beyonce’s Crazy in Love (booty shake included) while kicking my daughters’ butts in Wii’s Just Dance 2.  I held no prisoners and proved once and for all, I still got game. No…. not really.  I can’t dance. But the three of us had a lot of fun with my oldest daughter commenting how surprised she was with my moves.  I’m still trying to figure out if she meant that as a compliment or as an insult.  Either way, for one moment in time, I was a kid again.

My girls have no school this week and after our little dancefest we decided to make cookies.  But my lazy self did not want to bake for some unexplainable reason.  Instead, I looked in our cupboards to see what we had on hand to make something which required little work.  Seeing that lonely box of unopened Corn Flakes was just the inspiration I needed to satisfy my sweet tooth and affirm my laziness with very little clean up.

I’m all about simple recipes which are ridiculously easy to prepare and are oh-so-good.  My kids and I made these chocolate peanut butter haystacks except I made them with Corn Flakes instead of the typical dried chow-mein noodles.  I heart no-bake treats, especially when they’re only 3 ingredients and include chocolate. In my opinion they are a borderline no-bake cookie or possibly a crunchy chocolate candy bar.  Who cares,they are super crazy good! Enjoy!

Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Butter Stacks
Recipe type: Cookies
Serves: 12

A fun no bake chocolate treat using just 3 ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
  • ½ cup natural creamy peanut butter
  • 3 cups Corn Flakes cereal
  1. Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat this until the chocolate chips are smooth. Add peanut butter and stir until well combined. Fold in Corn Flakes until the flakes are evenly coated. Drop the mix by the tablespoons on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Allow mounds to cool and harden in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Or if you’re experiencing snow (like we are in Seattle) and your refrigerator is packed (like mine), stick them in your car.

Jessica @ How Sweet February 24, 2011 at 6:25 am

Who doesn’t love a ridiculously easy recipe? Especially when it has chocolate and peanut butter!

Michelle February 24, 2011 at 8:08 am

SOLD!
I must add cornflakes to my grocery list. : )

Happy to see you blogging here again. I miss your great recipes and photos.

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon February 24, 2011 at 8:35 am

Alice, lovely to have you back dancing, cooking, and blogging : )

falnfenix February 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

oh oh! toss in pretzel and potato sticks for a real wacky taste combination that you CANNOT RESIST EATING.

i love these things.

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food February 24, 2011 at 9:13 am

I love simple, yummy food! I’m actually posting a 3 ingredient muffin later today :)

naila February 24, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Alice, im so happy tohave found ur blog as i was searching for buttercream frosting. ur work is absolutely perfect and u teach very well too. please do more tutorials for us.

Could u plz give us a perfect cream cheese frosting recipe that is firm enough to pipe rose swirls with . i made one using philiadelphia’s cream cheese but it was spreadable version . it was ok but i cudnt only frost with it but cudnt decorate with.

Thanx

NanaBread February 24, 2011 at 10:13 am

If I make these with bran flakes, will they qualify as health food?
Please?

Amie February 24, 2011 at 10:16 am

This looks soo good…Glad to see you’re back!!

Georgie February 24, 2011 at 10:19 am

How great is staying in your pajamas all day! I’m guilty of doing this once a week, is that bad? My nephew is staying with us this weekend and this is perfect to make with him, since the attention span is less than 30 seconds when the Wii’s involved. Ok, I’m off to bust a move :)

wenders February 24, 2011 at 10:36 am

Yup, have the snow out here too and a packed fridge. =)
Love this simple recipe. My sister-in-law loves to make the chowmein butterscotch haystack/birdsnest, but it’s too sweet for me.
Chocolate and peanut butter, that I like, and over corn flakes. This is great! No need to buy those noodles that I don’t usually eat!

EatLiveRun February 24, 2011 at 10:42 am

Yum! These look great and I love how easy they are.

leslie February 24, 2011 at 11:58 am

You might have just upped your coolness factor to your kids with all of your booty shakin! Love the chocolate treats

Kelly @ Evil Shenanigans February 24, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Simple food is quite often my favorite. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter! Yum!

Cookin' Canuck February 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm

It sounds like you’re having a great week with your girls. There’s nothing like being active and silly with kids!

These stacks are perfect for an easy treat.

Soyon February 24, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Yay for some lazy fun times! I can totally relate… I was playing Wii resort with my 6yr old, sword play and had to totally play with no holds bar, take no prisoner attitude b/c the kid was beating me up. So fun!

MJ February 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

These look SOOOO GOOD – and the perfect treat your kids can help with too!!!!

Thanks Alice for this!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction February 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Yum! These remind me of no-bake cookies my mom used to make, but they are SO much easier… Love it! If I had cornflakes in my pantry, I’d totally be making them right now. I have to go check to see if I have rice krispies… I’m thinking they might work, too.

Sharlene February 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

The chow mein noodle version of these was a staple in my house growing up. This sounds like a wonderful variation!

Shannon February 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Just Dance 2 rocks! My girls say I have a few moves left too. :) I have made this recipe with oatmeal and it is pretty tasty. One can never go wrong with chocolate and PB!

Whitney February 24, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Welcome back!!! These look delicious, and fantastically easy! Thanks for sharing!

Alison February 24, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I haven’t read through all the comments, but if someone hasn’t mentioned using Fiber One cereal instead of corn flakes, I will now! I’ve made that recipe for Weight Watchers and one “haystack” cookie is only 1 WW point. Definitely ups the fiber content so you can only eat a few without having a bad reaction ;-)

Jaime {sophistimom} February 24, 2011 at 9:49 pm

These look so good, Alice. And I love how you put them with the blue background—a perfect complement.

Rachel February 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I have a crazy craving for chocolate right now, and I think this might just do the trick! I love how simple your recipes are, and I love the picture of your kids helping you bake!

But next time, you should also include a picture of you beating your girls in Just Dance 2. :) I think your readers would like to see that.

SusanWW February 25, 2011 at 9:57 am

I didn’t have cornflakes but really wanted to make these today so I used Special K. Delish!

Lori A. February 25, 2011 at 10:25 am

YUM! I second the Fiber One haystacks..they are delish! My kids love them!

Sweets by Vicky February 26, 2011 at 2:54 am

I like easy. I like 3 ingredients and I like one bowl. This rocks my socks. And dancing all day to Wii, getting your groove on? I DIG! :)

Hilary February 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

These look good! Another great/easy/delicious recipe with corn flakes…

Bring 1 cup sugar & 1 cup corn syrup to a boil for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup peanut butter. Stir in 6 cups cornflakes. Drop spoonfuls onto waxed paper.

My mom used to make these for me when I forgot to tell her about a class party/bake sale/etc until the night before. Sometimes easy is the way to go!

sakis galan February 27, 2011 at 4:29 pm

nice website

useful, topics, and, recipes
.find, useful, topics and issues,greek,mediterranean, history, recipes, food, herbs, etc.

Gwendolyn March 3, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Alice,
Glad to see you back here posting! I will try this with my fiesty 3 year old girl this weekend…or maybe tonight (instant chocolate craving commenced as I was typing)!

Carin March 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I wonder if you could do this with oatmeal instead of the cornflakes?

alice March 5, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Carini, you could but you wouldn’t have any crunch to it unless you used granola.

Amber March 5, 2011 at 12:52 am

Would nutella instead if choc chips work?

alice March 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Hi Amber,
No, nutella will not work instead of chocolate chips. It’s too soft and will not harden to handle each piece. However, you can sub nutella for the peanut butter.

Julie March 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm

About how many cookies did one batch make? They look wonderful!

Mom's Menu Planner March 8, 2011 at 10:38 am

These look so delicious and so simple to make too! I’m going to try them out with my girls this weekend. Thanks for sharing them :)

Andrea @ strawberry-chic.blogspot.com March 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Oh my goodness, Yum! I love simple recipes that are so delicious!
Just found your site, its amazing!

Lydia March 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I would love to make these! I think i’m going to do it for a friends bday party. Thanks!

Ulanda April 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm

lol at the putting them in the car, cause as I was quickly jotting the basics of this recipe down, I was thinking “My fridge is way to full, I’m going to put them in my b-b-q outside to cool!”
Found your blog link from etsy, the scones look amazing!

Nichol April 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I make these all the time, only I use 1 bag of butterscotch chips with 1 cup creamy peanut butter and 4-5 cups of the corn flakes, and they are soo addicting!

Lexa April 4, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Love this! My grandmother made these with either Cheerios or All Bran when I was growing up (I preferred cheerios). Brings back so many memories. :) I’ll have to try making them myself now.

Susie June 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm

How much peanut butter?
The recipe printed above says “cup”.
Does that mean 1 cup?
(Had to ask… the peanut butter in the ramekin looks like less than one cup.)

LOVE your recipes!

alice June 2, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Hi Susie,
It’s 1/2 cup. Sorry.. I’ve been moving the recipes over to a new format and it looks like some of the ingredients in the list cut chopped off.

Rachel December 1, 2011 at 11:09 am

Thanks so much for your post, it was exactly what I needed. I was searching at least three recipe sites and they didn’t have the no-bake haystack with PB and chocolate like I wanted/needed today. Simple is the way to go, thanks again!

sally December 7, 2011 at 8:02 am

who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate, these sound soooooooo good!!! I will be making these real soon.

JJ December 25, 2012 at 3:21 am

I used fresh ground up NON GMO/ Organic cornflakes, almonds (& a dash of homemade almond extract ) & or macadamia’s. Someone is allegic to peanut butter here.