Nutella Chocolate Cobbler

by Alice Currah on February 2, 2011. Updated May 11, 2011

Savory Sweet Life has always been a creative outlet for me. A place for sharing home style dishes with engaging photos. But as the blog grew older, SSL transitioned into a beautiful community of wonderful people (like you!) who shared their results from the recipes, or a personal story of similar dishes, or just encouraging words. In many ways, this site and everyone who supports it has ministered to me way beyond me just sharing recipes. Together we’ve been sharing life as it happens.

We’ve celebrated anniversaries, birthdays, and achievements on SSL. You’ve also walked along side of me during tragic events such as the earthquake in Haiti, my friend Ivory Hut’s (Erika) house burning down, and the loss of my father. When my dad passed away just after Christmas I tangibly had a revelation on how wonderful YOU truly are. All your support, encouragement, and prayers have sustained me. And now I find myself feeling a bit lost and out of sorts.

I’ve learned that taking a month long break is hard to do. I’ve wanted to post something delicious and wonderful to share. But what good is sharing if it doesn’t come from a place of genuine enthusiasm? How can I share recipes and photos if  my desire to cook and shoot photos has vanished from my existence? Life has shifted so drastically that my priorities have been rearranged – for better or for worst. It would be so disingenuous to pretend like life is back to normal. I have a new “normal” which looks nothing like how it was before Christmas. I’m not whining, just sharing the reality of how things are for me right now. With everything shifting, I needed to allow myself to let SSL go momentarily until I could get my feet back on the ground. Now that I’m pushing myself to stand on both feet I feel a bit directionless.

My (pregnant) sister Janice and I were having breakfast this morning just processing everything happening around us. She listened to me talk about how I miss writing for this site and how I cannot figure out how to ease myself back including engaging myself back on Social Media. I’ve always thought of Facebook and Twitter as one big, non-stop party.  In general I like parties but the thought of having to interact with others is stressful because I don’t want to be the weirdo in the Twittersphere.  I don’t want to Tweet out loud how exhausted I am or how there have been days I’ve felt that I’ve hit a brick wall from sorting through my dad’s affairs.  Chances are, you don’t want to hear about this either, and I don’t blame you.  I much rather tell you about something fun or new I discovered.  Instead, I’ve just avoided Social Media with the occasional popping in and just as quick as I check in, I check out.

Getting back to blogging on SSL is the equivalent of coming out of a coma and feeling disoriented.   As I shared this with my sister, she didn’t hesitate to tell me that I should make a comfort food dish because she’s smart like that. She knows if I make something that I’ll call her and invite her to come over to eat some with me. Her husband knows if she can have dessert from my house, he won’t have to drive somewhere in the middle of the night to satisfy his pregnant, dessert-seeking wife’s cravings.

So what I have for you is a recipe for Nutella Chocolate Cobbler. It’s inspired by one of the recipes I found on Tasty Kitchen – one of my most favorite recipe sites I have the privilege of being a contributor. I’m easing myself back to Savory Sweet Life one day at a time. Thankfully, I’m not alone. I have you to keep me company and for this, this recipe is dedicated to you (my friends).
This crazy nutella chocolate cobbler is like a molten lava cake except is it baked in a larger baking dish instead of individual bakeware.  It’s the perfect comfort food dish when you have a small gathering of people who are sitting back and chatting all night.  When the cobbler is ready, remove from the oven and dish it up into bowls with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Inspired by by this recipe on Tasty Kitchen

Nutella Chocolate Cobbler
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6-8

A warm chocolate Nutella cobbler best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ cup Nutella
  • 6 tablespoons melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ½ cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1-½ cup hot tap water
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, and ½ cup of white sugar. Stir in milk, Nutella, butter, and vanilla. Mixture will be thick like the texture of peanut butter. Spread mixture into an ungreased 8-inch baking dish. In a separate bowl, mix ½ cup white sugar, brown sugar, and remaining cocoa. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the batter. Pour the hot water over everything and do not stir. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the center is slightly firm but not fluid like liquid. Spoon mixture into small bowls and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Lim February 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Alice, welcome back, we missed you a lot. all my good energies for you and your family.

Susan @ SGCC February 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Alice, I totally understand where you’re coming from. Sometimes the weight of new responsibilities can be debilitating, making it impossible to even do the things we love. Give yourself some time and ease back in at your own pace. Things may never feel exactly the same, but they will get better.

You’ve brightened my day just by posting about this incredible dish. Wow! Definitely comfort food at its finest! :)

Lys Morrison February 3, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Made this tonight and it was wonderful!! The Nutella adds a great new flavor.

Chez Us February 3, 2011 at 11:48 pm

This is insane, Alice!

frantic foodie February 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Did you really have to post this in the morning? I am so making this and will crave it all day. Alice, your post brightened my day. I am trying not to be cheesy but it is true.

Becky @ my life be like February 5, 2011 at 12:36 am

Alice I was pleasantly surprised to see you had a new post! Love and blessings to you as you continue to grieve. We are a strong community of bloggers and we really do help each other get through tough times without even realizing it most days. Take care!!!!

Tiffany February 5, 2011 at 2:33 am

You know, I think there is a huge pressure to be entertaining on social media, that we have to be these caricatures of ourselves and wipe out all the unpleasant things.
I whine on my blog all the time. It’s not like anyone reads it anyway so I feel more free to say what I think. You’re much loved and I’m sure your supporters will understand.
We can’t be witty, funny, food conscious all the time. Life gets in the way. Personally, I’d rather hear about real life. There are plenty of ppl out there with polished social media friendly lives. It would be nice to know them on a real and relatable level once in awhile. Thank you for being honest about your experience. It’s given me some comfort to read about it.

Carrie February 5, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’m proud of you because you are controlling the pain of your loss and not letting the pain of your loss control you. It is so okay to be sad and to grieve the loss of your dad. There is definately a grieving process to endure and it hurts. Time will help.

Alice Janene February 5, 2011 at 3:28 pm

A good friend shared your site with me and I was touched by your post. I lost my Dad almost 10 years ago and am a bit teary even now thinking about it. Do what you can each day and save the rest for another day. To be honest I’ll never get over losing my Dad, I’ve just learned to live with it. I wish I had some magic words of wisdom to make you feel better. But I would say cry when you feel like it and talk about it when you feel like it. Life is short and our loved ones make it worthwhile. May you have peace in the days to come.

Kat @ Cupcake Kat February 5, 2011 at 11:51 pm

MMMmmm this looks amazing. I want to eat spoonfuls of every photo

Soyon February 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Welcome back!!! So happy to see you back here. I think most of your readers understand that you are a real person experiencing real life and well, life isn’t all roses. Personally, I rather read your “whines” then worry because I don’t hear from you at all. It is going to take time to get used to your new reality. Ease into it one recipe at a time, be it one a month or one a week. We’ll be here Alice cheering you on. *Hugs* And yes, the cobbler looks divine.

Rachel February 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm

this is fantastically sinful. i love the idea of a lava cake in a skillet instead of individual! looks absolutely delicious and the perfect way to celebrate nutella.

melinda February 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Just checking in on you. I can totally relate to the weird feeling of wanting some interraction w/ people but not too much. And the rudderless feeling after trying to steer straight and steady through everything. It will all come around, we just have to be gentle with ourselves as we reenter our old/new everyday lives! (btw i’m the one whose dad also recently passed away.) it has helped me to look for something to appreciate in the moment – a patch of sun on the stairs, sparkle on the snow, the aroma of hot coffee, warm clothes from the dryer. :) And to know that lots of prayers/lovingkindess are coming my way from friends & family. i’m sorry you’re going through this, but it helped me to read someone else experiencing the same things i am. Thanks for sharing! Take care.

Susanne February 7, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I have been following your wonderful posts for some time but never commented. I have to pass on what someone shared with me when I was 16 and my daddy died unexpectedly. Grief is like a big hole in a tree in the forest. When you are standing so close to it, the hole is all you can see. As you get a little farther away you begin the see the entire tree. Over time, when you are more removed, you will eventually see the entire forest again….but the hole is still there. Blessings to you!

Lacey February 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

My thoughts and prayers are still with you. Take care. Thanks for the great new recipe.

Leslie February 8, 2011 at 11:53 am

*HUGS*
Come back slowly, we are all here for you.
I am glad you posted this delicious recipe!

Haute Muslimah February 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Alice, I’m so happy to see this yummy post. I’ve really missed your incredible recipes and photos. Thank you for sharing everything with us, and I hope you and the family are adjusting and doing well.

Nikki February 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I have made this recipe before and I loved it! I made it again today and folded in some fresh raspberries because I was craving chocolate and fruit. Hopefully it turns out well.
Thank you for the wonderful recipes!

AnaDrol February 10, 2011 at 4:50 am

Alice, this is sinful. Love it.

SMITH BITES February 10, 2011 at 8:27 am

i’ve missed you Alice, really, really missed you and i’m glad to see you stepping back into the blogging world a little at a time. and while there are those who only want to read/hear ‘happy, funny’ thoughts, there are many, many more of us who are here to listen, to be your friend and to love you through this transitional ‘new normal’ time. it’s hard, finding this new normal. we had 18 months to say goodbye to my dad 10 years ago, but it was very, very hard. and still is. losing your father so suddenly and tragically will take time to adjust, to find your footing and settle into that ‘new normal’ – we’ll still be here.

Deena February 11, 2011 at 8:01 am

Hi there Alice!!! It is really so amazing to cook and come up with such beauty. I love to cook and explore different recipes and I always love to try something new in my kitchen. There is so much to learn really in the net and I am glad I came across yours.

brandi February 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Oh my goodness, I can’t imagine how good this is. I grew up eating the chocolate cobbler from Cracker Barrel and have been wanting to make one at home. This looks incredible!

Tim February 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm

That looks like an amazing dish and the textile and the sweet aroma of it all makes it a dish worth having for all purposes.

Karen February 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Alice,

I’ve been a reader of your blog for about 9 months and I’m sorry to say, I’ve never left you a comment. I was so sorry to read of your Dad, the accident, and his death. Such a sad and difficult thing to happen at such a generally happy time of year. My heart goes out to you, your mourning, and your work to deal with all the loose-ends of life. The 12th anniversary of my father’s death is fast approaching and my father-in-law died on New Year’s morning this year at 92-1/2. As others have said, the memories and the ‘work’ get easier the farther away one gets. My mother commented when I told her about my father-in-law, “He’s graduated.” That has helped me over the tough times when anyone close has died.

Give yourself time. Give yourself permission to get crabby at times, with the understanding that this can’t be a permanent attitude. Give yourself rest. Allow yourself to be cared for at times rather than always being the caregiver.

Thank you for your gifts to us: your blog, your recipes, and your use of our ears and shoulders. Praying for your healing. k

Beth February 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I agree, at times like that comfort food can be the best thing in the world. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.

Amanda Davis February 16, 2011 at 10:36 am

I just stumbled across your blog and this looks so divine!!!!! I was looking for something easy to make since I am at home sick and oh how I love chocolate!!! I will file this one away for later this week when I have more energy to make and enjoy!!!!

Sodium Girl February 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Thank you for your honesty. I know quite well how hard it is to go back to normal after change/tragedy/life-shifting moments. And when we think other people do it effortlessly, it is even harder. So your post is truly an inspiration to be real with ourselves and with others.

What I can say is this: you’ll have moments of slowing down, really appreciating every second of a single minute, feeling breezes and remembering that standing still is always more enlightening than the rush we live in.

And then you’ll get sucked right back into errands, generating page views, and making sure you’ve replied to all those emails and letters (and of course, berate yourself for the spelling errors or slightly off tone). Even when you promised you wouldn’t do that. Sound familiar?

I tried so desperately to get my life back to normal after surviving kidney failure and an aggressive lupus attack on my brain. But the truth was, my life had changed. So I had to change my life.

It wasn’t easy. It is a journey. An endless one. But I feel now that I know myself better than before. I still get angry in traffic, I still work too hard, I still get caught up when my jeans don’t fit, and I’m still too hard on myself. But at least I am more conscious of it all. And because of my little life moment, I remember to just stay still once and a while.

With that, lots of love, white light, and promises that this fork in the road and life time stamp will be with you forever.

Jaden February 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Was just thinking about you….sending hugs

Rachel February 17, 2011 at 12:29 am

This looks amazingly delicious.

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) February 18, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hi Alice, My husband the chocolate freak, is drooling!
Just wanted to say that I think what you are expressing/feeling is on track. Losing my brother when I was 12 and he was 5 was the hardest thing to date that my parents, siblings and I have gone through. I can only speak for myself but after the shock, anger, sadness, why him, why us, it’s not fair faded… I was able to remember the beauty of him, the impact he had on me and others around him…what he left behind…and then I began to see him all around me in the simple joys andlater in my children, nephews and nieces. And I know whithout a shadow of a doubt, he is here with me from time to time with a hand on my shoulder, a kiss on the cheek or a protective hug or push. (Hug)

peabody February 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Oh Alice, I’m so sorry. I can’t relate on the losing a parent, but I can on not wanting to really dive into social media. I’m the sad divorcee right now and no one wants to be hearing about that. Though I must say the suppor t of my own little food blog community has been immensly wonderful.
(((HUGS)))
P.S. So loving that cobbler.

Stacie February 19, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Hi precious,
You are that….precious….this is my first time to your site.
I am not a *social media* person at all. I just was looking for a Salisbury steak recipe for my husband and went to Pioneer Woman and then was led here to you! Isn’t the Holy Spirit wonderful?! Amazing how He leads… For His heart is tender towards you…I hear Him say ” come to me and I will comfort you and give you rest, not as the world gives(not through Facebook, twitter,) rest for your SPIRIT. I hear the words “turn off, disconnect and CONNECT TO ME”.
Pretty radical huh?
Well that is our Lord Jesus … giving us His all and requiring are all.
The glorious thing is that He gives us the grace to yield and say “yes, Lord”.
I don’t Facebook, I don’t twitter, and I don’t text…yep real strange to most in this world , but Praise God I am not of this world & that is why He moves in me & breathes in me & has His being in me and has led me to YOU!
May the God of all comfort be with you, may His sheltering arms be felt around you as you sleep and His wisdom given to you to make the decisions that you need to make.
To Christ Jesus belongs all the glory!
P.S. We definitely will be trying this recipe, and will think of you!

Tim February 21, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Will you Marry me? I in love with you Alice.

Lydia February 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Missed your blog, but glad you are taking time to heal. Cannot wait to make this for my little brother’s birthday tonight!

honeybeecooksjackfruit February 22, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I know I would love this. Thanks for the recipe.

I just found your blog, but read about your father. Im so sorry for your loss, and I know none of our words can lessen your hurt, but know that you are thought of and supported by so many friends and family, near and far.

Sushi restaurants February 23, 2011 at 11:48 am

Cant wait to try this. I finally tried nutella recently after so many people kept raving about it to me. I may have to change up somethings this weekend to find sometime to bake this treat for my family.

Belinda February 25, 2011 at 9:38 am

Dear Alice, my heart goes out to you. How sweet you are to even be sharing your thoughts and trials with all of us. Cherish this special time of recovery with your family as you remember your Dad.
I personally am not into all the social networking, mainly I just don’t get it and don’t have the time. But I do appreciate the time you and others put into you blogs sharing the personal feelings of life experiences. You are not whining at all. Be sure to take time for yourself, we will be here.

Laura February 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I hope you know you could do nothing but whine and none of us would blame you. ((hugs))

PS the cobbler looks fantastic and your sis is right–comfort food all the way

Sprinzette @ Ginger and Almonds March 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Oh wow! This looks incredible – I want to dive into the pot right now. I love nutella, I used to it eat it on toast for breakfast and lunch. This is every chocolate-lover’s idea of heaven. Thanks so much for sharing.

Daniel L. March 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm

awesome!!! I recommend serving it over vanilla ice cream

Melanie April 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm

O…M…G. I want this right now! I’m loving your Nutella recipes, Alice. :)

Tyne May 11, 2011 at 5:34 am

Hi Alice!
I know you’re probably really busy and struggle to answer everyone’s questions but I’m just wondering… it’s definitely 1 cup of milk in this recipe right? I made it once for a family dinner and it turned out awesome! But I didn’t keep the recipe and had to look it up again the other night when I wanted to make it again but the batter came out really runny, more like cake batter, which didn’t happen the first time I made it.. I can’t remember how much milk I put in. Like maybe I wasn’t paying attention and put 2 cups in thinking I was doubling it?

Just want to reassure myself that it is and always has been 1 cup of milk! Then I will accept the error of my ways :)

Thanks Alice!
Tyne

alice May 11, 2011 at 9:42 am

Hi Tyne: I’m sorry about that. I’m changing my recipes over to a new improved printable format and it looks like some of the measurements in the ingredient list were left off when this happened. The milk is actually 1/2 cup. Hope that helps.

Alice

Tyne May 12, 2011 at 12:26 am

Ahhhh I was suspecting something like that after I looked around some more recipes and they have ingredients that just say “cup of” something-or-other.. I guess the format is making the fractions drop off or something? Thanks for the reply though, I’m reassured to know I didn’t lose concentration! Love love love your site!

Phil March 10, 2012 at 1:24 am

Looks very delicious.

soyabean oil india December 27, 2012 at 12:33 am

WOW !!!!!! It looks really delicious. Thanks for sharing such delicious recipe. I am surely going to try this recipe..Keep posting such recipes.