Creamy Pesto Dressing

Old Spaghetti Factory creamy pesto dressing Creamy Pesto Dressing
In my early twenties I used to wait tables at the Old Spaghetti Factory across the street from Pier 70 in downtown Seattle. It’s the type of family friendly restaurant where the energy is always high, flipping tables is a must, and the smell of spaghetti never washes out of your clothes. Most of the entrees are served as a budget-friendly three course meal. Free bread with garlic or plain butter, milk (tea, or coffee), side salad with your choice of dressing, entree, and a scoop of spumoni or vanilla ice cream for dessert. Back when I used to work there, all of this could be yours for under $10.

The most popular salad dressing choice was their creamy pesto dressing. Served on a bed of chopped iceberg lettuce and seasoned croutons, this salad dressing developed a cult-like following. People would come into the restaurant just to buy pints of this stuff! I used to spread it on bread, so good!

creamy pesto ingredients Creamy Pesto Dressing
Discovering a jar of pesto in the refrigerator today inspired me to make a copycat version of the salad dressing at home.  I’m very happy how my version turned out… just like I remember from when I worked there!

mixing creamy pesto Creamy Pesto Dressing
The recipe itself is very easy to make and tastes like you would expect; like a creamy ranch dressing except with a distinct pesto flavor.  Mix some buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise, pesto, and parmesan cheese.  That’s it.

Hope you enjoy this dressing as much as I do!

creamy pesto dressing1 Creamy Pesto Dressing

5.0 from 5 reviews
Creamy Pesto Dressing
Recipe type: Condiment
Serves: 1 cup

A copycat recipe of the Old Spaghetti Factory's Creamy Pesto Dressing.
  • ⅓ cup low-fat buttermilk
  • ⅓ cup mayonaise
  • ⅓ cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons pesto
  • 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
  1. Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.

pin it button Creamy Pesto Dressing

Comments

1. Jessica Jordan says

Your dressing recipe sounds wonderful. I do not tolerate mayo well, can you recommend any substitutions that wouldn’t alter the flavor?
    Thanks!

2. Shreya says

Tried it out yesterday and it was delicious. Everyone really appreciated it. Thank you so much for the recipe. Making it again today :)

3. Sherri says

I used to work at Spag. factory in downtown Fullerton,CA. And yes that meant for about 4 years I always smelled like spaghetti!!! I Used to sneak this dressing home all of the time. And eat it with crackers on my break!!! Just made this and it’s in my fridge (but not for long.) Thank you so much recipe!!!

4. Marcy says

Mine was a bit too think so I suggest adding more milk until desired consistency. I also like a more prominent pesto flavor and didnt taste it much, so if you are like me you will need an extra tablespoon of pesto (maybe a little less).

Overall a yummy dressing though!

5. Ashlynn says

Thank you very much I just loved that dressing!! I really did want to buy a pint of that good stuf!
    They served its in Honolulu Hawaii!!

Thanks again MAHALO!!

6. Michelle says

Thank you for this recipe! I added a smidge more pesto because I really wanted that flavor to come through. And I used 1/4 c of all the other wet ingredients because I didn’t want as much left over. But the flavor was amazing!!! For anyone interested, I calculated that 2 tbsp of this is 3 WWP points. Not too bad!! I served it on a salad with some simple sautéed shrimp and steamed green beans on the side — it was heaven! This is Pinned forevermore and I KNOW I will use it over and over. A winner!!

7. Karyn says

Greatas written.. Added a bit more salt pepper and about a tablespoon of pesto to taste. Would also be good with Dijon mustard perhaps some anchovy for different version