Pineapple Salsa

by Alice Currah on May 4, 2012

Late Tuesday night we finally arrived home after spending 10-days in Southern California finishing off our family vacation cruising up the West Coast disembarking in Vancouver B.C.  This was my third cruise and unfortunately the weather was unkind while we were at sea.  For 3 nights straight we swayed back and forth while walking down hallways, sleeping, and eating.  Even though I’ve been home for a few days, my body is still swaying even if I’m sitting absolutely still.

Our vacation was a blast.  Beaches, Disneyland, more beaches, and just being together was time well spent.  However, there is nothing better than going to sleep and waking up in my own bed.  The first thing I noticed the next morning were that my tulips bloomed while we were gone and my herb container garden was thriving, which inspired me to make this salsa just so I could clip off some cilantro.

Surprisingly, I couldn’t wait to get in the kitchen and start cooking again.  Wanting to use up some leftover canned pineapple chunks we had, I decided to make pineapple salsa.

Pineapple salsa is similar to the more traditional pico de gallo salsa made with tomatoes.  In fact, this recipe is pretty much pico de gallo except it is made with pineapple.  Ideally you will want to use a juicy and ripe pineapple when making this but canned chunks work just fine.

I love to eat this salsa with corn chips but you could easily use it to top off grilled chicken or your favorite white fish.  Enjoy!

Pineapple Salsa
Recipe type: Condiment
Serves: 6

An easy refreshing citrus salsa. Perfect for chips or on top of your favorite cooked fish.
  • 2 cups chopped pineapple
  • ½ medium sweet onion, chopped
  • ½ red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped finely
  • ¼ cup chopped cilantro
  • Fresh squeezed juice from one lime
  • Salt
  1. Mix all the ingredients except for the salt in a medium bowl until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Season with a pinch of salt.
  2. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.

Blog is the New Black May 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love fruity salsas- this looks amazing!

Ann P. May 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Your herb garden is absolutely gorgeous! And this pineapple salsa sounds so delicious. I love pineapple in all forms, so I can’t wait to try this!

Tracey May 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Glad you all had a wonderful trip. I, too, have been on a rocky cruise ship before and remember how happy I was to be on dry land again. :) Welcome home!

Low Fat Chick May 4, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Looks fabulous! I had pineapple salsa at a local Mexican restaurant and was hooked. I never thought about making it at home. Gotta try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Zee May 5, 2012 at 1:58 am

Awesome! I love pineapples in just about anything.. This salsa looks amazing!

June Cherry May 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Can you find a recipe for Italian pistachio spread. I can order it, but I want to make it myself. Saw your strawberry pistachio tart recipe, but it’s not the same.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 8, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Love the look of this pineapple salsa… And, how convenient that I have a fresh pineapple sitting on the counter just begging to be eaten. Yum!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction May 14, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Alice, this salsa looks amazing! I just happened to pick one up that market yesterday too – so definitely going to try this. So glad to hear you had such a lovely vacation!

RecipeNewZ May 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I just found your site through Pinterest, and I already love it! You have wonderful recipes! Like this one: so flavorful, so bright and happy! And simple to make. Perfection :-)

I would like to invite you to share this post (and other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing community that launched only last week. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site.

It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com

I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

p.s. Congratulations on publishing a book, this is so exciting!

Healthy eating plan December 21, 2012 at 2:40 am

I love pineapple :) It is good for digestion. I love your recipe pineapple salsa, good for my healthy diet.
I’m into healthy diet tips. Hope you can check mine. :)

GOD Bless