“Mom, come try these peaches! They are so good,” says my 11 year old daughter Mimi, referring to the bite sized samples luring the passersby of a vendor at our local farmers’ market. A small container sectioned in four quadrants contained a variety of stone fruit cut into toothpick ready portions for tasting. Mimi wasted no time in trying each and every one. Of the two varieties of peaches being offered yesterday, I was told by the friendly guy behind the table one was very sweet and one wasn’t as much. The glory of summer can be found in one bite of a perfect ripe peach sweetened by the sun picked at its peak.
Several pounds of purchased peaches later, we eat a few right away with no regard to the juices dripping from our chins knowing moments like this will soon be just memories once the season is over.
Stone fruit season in the Northwest has always signaled the transition from late summer to early autumn for me. The sun noticeably sets earlier and its warm golden rays have a familiar autumn tinge to it with a touch of crisp chilliness in the air.
Today I’m sharing a late summer/early autumn inspired Peach Almond Tart recipe I’ve developed in partnership with Starbucks Coffee Company and their new Starbucks® Cinnamon Dolce K-Cups®packs (made for Keurig machine). This new Starbucks Blonde-roast blend has a rich and sweet mellow flavor to it with a subtle hint of cinnamon and brown sugar pairing perfectly with this spiced peach dessert.
The tart is made with a buttery puff pastry base layered with an almond cream cheese filling, topped with a thin layer of fresh ripe peach slices, and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. The tart is then baked to golden perfection. Toasted almond slivers and a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar finishes the tart off to make one impressive looking dessert that tastes as good as it looks.
Each delicious bite is filled with the perfect medley of peaches, cream, almond, and cinnamon reflecting the final days of summer while acknowledging the beginnings of autumn just in front of us.
- 1 sheet pre-made frozen puff pastry
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup blanched finely ground almond flour
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar plus 1 tablespoon for dusting
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large ripe peach, pit removed and cut into ⅛-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons toasted almond slivers
- Thaw the frozen puff pastry according to package instructions.
- Add the cream cheese, almond flour, ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar, egg white, and almond extract to a food processor and pulsate until smooth. Place the container in the refrigerator to set.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- When the puff pastry is ready to use, roll the sheet on a floured surface to 12x12 inches.
- Transfer the sheet to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Fold the pastry sheet edges in on each side by ½-inch to form an inward seam.
- Evenly spread the almond cream over the tart from inseam to inseam.
- Add the peach slices in a single even layer over the cream.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the peach layer.
- Bake the tart for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the tart from the oven to cool.
- Sprinkle the almond slivers over the tart followed by a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve warm or cold.