Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

by Alice Currah on August 18, 2009. Updated April 18, 2011

3wayganachecupcakes

As much as I love American fudge frosting, nothing beats the decadent, indulgent taste and texture of chocolate ganache.  Made of pure chocolate and heavy cream, ganache is a chocolate lovers best friend.  Its versatility as a glaze, decorative piping, and whipped cream answers the need for icing, frosting, and filling.

Below I have pictured 3 different ways to adorn cupcakes using the same recipe and batch I made yesterday.  As a glaze, you can easily pour ganache over cakes for a nice smooth finish.  If you are looking for a chocolate whipped filling, look no further.  Just whip the ganache as you would heavy cream, making sure your mixing bowl and beater are nice and cold.  And whatever you do, not put your ganache in the freezer with the hopes of whipping it.  It will not whip and have a curdly like texture.  For a thick frosting or decorative piping, allow the ganache to cool for a truffle like texture.  Anyway you decide to eat it, this ganache will satisfy your sweet tooth and chocolate cravings. Below are step by step photos to guide you. Enjoy!

Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: 1.5 cups

Three different ways to use ganache as frosting, filling, and for piping.
  • 12 ounces chocolate, chopped into small pieces
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • optional 3 tablespoons flavored liqueor
  1. Place chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until completely mixed and glossy. Allow ganache to cool before pouring over cakes as a glaze. The longer you allow the ganache to cool, the thicker it will set. Typically I stick mine in the refrigerator so it is slightly cold before whipping. For piping or frosting, allow the ganache to completely cool and set up. When you are able to spoon the ganache and it can hold its texture, it is ready for piping.

guittardchocolatebark
chocolateshavings
choppedchocolate
boiledcream
pouredcream
ganachestir
ganachestir2
ganachestir3
ganachebowl
glazedchocolate
whippedchocolate
pipedchocolate

Deirdre March 23, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Thank you for this information. I wanted to do Boston Cream Cupcakes and wasn’t sure how I’d do the topping but now I know I can do piped ganache. They turned out awesome. A small note though: After you’ve piped most of a dozen, put the bag of ganache in the fridge for a bit or the last of it kind of sloshes out. Warm hands and all.

Alice Currah March 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

Hi Deidre,
Great reminder. When decorating any cake with frosting, the frosting starts to soften the longer you hold it from the heat of your hands. One way to combat “warm hands” is to to work in batches with less frosting.

syah March 28, 2013 at 6:25 am

Hi. Do we need to add anything to the ganache for piped and whipped ones?

Sophia July 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm

hi syah, most people add a tablespoon or two of unsalted butter to the ganache when piping for cupcakes. you don’t have to

Nicole August 16, 2013 at 2:22 am

What do you add?? Do you add the butter and do you whip it in a stand mixer ? Also when u pipe the ganache it’s not too thick ?

Aleli April 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hello. I am trying to make a really good ganache for salted caramel macarons. I have a recipe where I would pipe chocolate ganache around the edges of the cookie, then drop salted caramel in the middle. Salted caramel liquefies so easily. Will the ganache hold it in place? Thank You!

Alice Currah April 4, 2013 at 10:24 am

Hi Aleli,
This recipe will pipe but I’m more concerned about the heat from the caramel sauce. Your best bet is to to melt chocolate and pipe the chocolate on its own and let it harden. Then add your caramel which should not be hot. The chocolate should hold it in place fine.

Cali May 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm

If you are wanting the caramel flavor you can always make a chocolate caramel ganache for your macrons. If you caramelize 12 ounces of sugar in a pan before you add the cream it will infuse the cream with a perfect caramel flavor. Then you can add that to to the chopped chocolate and proceed with the rest of the ganache recipe as usual. I usually substitute half the chocolate with bittersweet or unsweetened when I do this because I’m adding so much sugar to the cream just to cut back on the sweetness:)

Lauren Villanueva April 4, 2013 at 8:01 pm

What type of chocolate do you use?

giovanna April 17, 2013 at 2:03 am

Hi There, Great recipee! Do you melt the chocolate as well as melting the cream? or is it the heat from the cream that melts the chocolate? . . . from very new, novice, beginner baker.

Meridith May 5, 2013 at 10:25 pm

The cream is plenty warm enough to melt your chocolate, especially if you chop it up pretty small. Good luck and happy baking!

lisa April 20, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Hi I tried this and it taste close to a chocolate ganashe when ob the first form but in the others it taste like chocolate whip cream.

marilyn April 25, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Want to add ganashe to brownies and thought I should add butter to make it glossy instead of dull. Have you ever made it adding butter. How much?

Jerica June 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I work at a bakery and since we do large batches of ganache we strain it to ensure a smooth finish and add a drop of corn syrup to attain a highly glossy finish.

Harper April 27, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I followed the recipe closely, but two hours later I still have a soupy mess that will not frost a cake without running off. It looks nothing like the frosting in the “How to Frost a Cake” tutorial that links to this recipe. I’ve even put it in the fridge for an hour and still not spoonable. Any suggestions?

Tiffany Kriner December 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm

This happened to me, too, but then, after a day or two in the fridge, it was fudgy. Keep on keeping on.

sam May 3, 2013 at 3:21 am

can you use light thickened cream in a chocolate ganache? because i accidentally bought light thickened cream instead D’:

sam May 3, 2013 at 3:22 am

how much is 12 ounces in grams?

Sami September 27, 2013 at 8:04 pm

approx 340 grams

Meridith May 5, 2013 at 10:28 pm

This is an amazingly easy recipe. I use it often and in all three variations. Thank you so much!

Amina May 24, 2013 at 4:25 am

I don’t understand how u achieved the “piped” look. Did u whip the ganache and then pipe it?

lindi May 26, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I tried to make this recipe with my daughter and it did not work. We left it in the fridge for the right amount of time and when we took it our again and whisked it, we were left with a runny chocolate. It was a waste of time so why did it not work? We were going to pipe them on to our cupcakes but it was more like liquid so we put on top of our ice cream for dessert. It was very nice but I spent over 3 pounds for nothing, a waste of money and I’m very disappointed.

But why would it not whip and why did it just stay like a liquid???

gogmagog June 5, 2013 at 8:58 am

Sounds like youre in uk…so maybe different chocolate (ours generally has more junk in it) wrong cream (‘heavy ‘ means double) and adding watery liquer is usually the kiss of death to chocolate.
Try again this time really boil the cream, pour it onto the very broken up and chopped up small or preferably grated good quality chocolate (one with no vegetable fat in) then leave to stand for a couple mins before stirring well. I add powdered vanilla or just a little concentrated flavouring.
Measure your quantities. Good luck and happy chomping!

Jessica May 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hello! I absolutely love your frostings! I am having my son’s 1st birthday party outside this weekend and its suppose to be in the 80′s to 90′s and was really thinking of doing the ganache frosting for some of the cupcakes.. will they melt if I do them whipped?? Or should I stick to the buttercream recipe? Also, I use a kitchen aid for mixing, did you whip the ganache using this, or by hand? Thank You!!

David June 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

There is approx 25g to the ounce and exactly 27.5g to the ounce most people use the 25g ratio

Joseph June 7, 2013 at 1:48 am

I enjoy baking very much and two of my favorite things are pound cake and chocolate. I was wondering if you knew if maybe the different tastes would clash. Also, do you have any tips on how to frost it onto pound cake, because of it’s spongey and soft texture?

Lisa June 12, 2013 at 7:36 am

do you use sweet chocolate, like a candy bar or semi sweet chocolate. What brand would you recommend?
Thanks!

Jane June 23, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I did this and all of the chocolate mixed with the cream and made basically hot chocolate

Kari June 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Hello! I’ve tried making this ganache but it comes out soft and fluffy, so whipped. How do I get it to a thick consistency so that I can pipe it?

Mary June 30, 2013 at 3:33 am

Hi. So totally love your tutorials and recipes thank you :)
I need to make a dairy free frosting for my sons birthday cake. Would u recommend a buttercream or ganache frosting? I have a read of success stories using coconut cream instead of cows for the ganache but haven’t attempted yet. I need to color the frosting too so would need to use a dairy free white chocolate if attempting ganache.
Thanks for your help!!

Gabriela July 10, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Perfect. I’m doing the same. Last week I did tuxedo cake with ganache black and ganacke white. :)) yummy!

Denise July 20, 2013 at 10:37 am

I would like to make whipped chocolate ganache as a frosting for ice cream cone cupcakes. I need the frosting to hold up as I am going to swirl them up high to look like ice cream cones. Should I add anything to it like confectioners sugar to make it firm? Also, I have to transport them 1/2 hour in a car (in July) and then they will sit out (in air conditioning) for 90 minutes before eaten. Will the frosting hold it’s shape? It’s for 7 year olds and I think they would like the flavor of ganache as apposed to a butter cream. Thanks!

Alice Currah July 25, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I am sorry for the late reply. Yes, you can whip this frosting up but as far as the heat, they could melt a little. You are better off using buttercream.

Donna B. July 24, 2013 at 12:30 am

I used German Sweet Chocolate, as I wasn’t sure if unsweetened would be sweet enough. Turned out great!

I have always used the recipe in The Cake Bible, which melts the chocolate, then stirs cream in, but this worked much better, thanks!

To the commenter below who asked about pound cake, the Swiss Pastry Shop in Philadelphia has a pound cake with some kind of ganache icing on it that is SO good. Haven’t had it in years, still want it.

Chloe fox August 11, 2013 at 11:13 am

We have made it and it is lovely .xx

mollym August 13, 2013 at 2:47 am

Just made this to top my son’s birthday cake. So easy and super shiny and yummy!

jen e. August 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I’m going to try to make my kids’ birthday cakes for the first time and I’m very nervous. I’m thinking of a 9×11 double yellow cake with buttercream icing and I want a chocolate filling. I came across this and I’m wondering if this would work good in between the cakes and if it goes with buttercream icing. Which of the three would I use? For a beginner like myself is it possible to just take chocolate icing and spread it in as a filling or can’t it be used as a filling? If I use this recipe would it yield enough for this rectangular cake?

Sandi August 18, 2013 at 8:43 am

Delicious…and soooo easy! Thank you! I used 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 10 oz. dark chocolate chips, 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, and 1 tbsp. unsalted butter. Using for piping decorations onto a chocolate fondant iced chocolate cake for my husband’s birthday, and it set up perfectly at room temperature in about two hours.

sparky September 14, 2013 at 11:15 am

Hi,

I wanted to do this for my nephew’s birthday at the end of the month. How do i get the piped and whipped form?

do i need to put it in the fridge (if so, how long) then whip it for the whipped version?

how about the piped? do i need to put it in the fridge (if so, how long) then put it in a piping bag and pipe it onto the cupcakes?

sorry if it sounds dumb lol this will be the first time i am going to do frosting that’s why.

Thanks in advance :)

Kassandra September 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Greetings! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy
reading your blog posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?

Thank you so much!

Chani September 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Two questions:
1. Can I freeze this ganache after I’ve whipped it and piped it on a cake?
2. Does the ganache – and the cake – need to be kept in the fridge?

Katrina September 23, 2013 at 9:49 pm

If I use semi-sweet morsels for my ganache and I want to whip it up, will adding sugar affect the consistency at all?

2013 October 11, 2013 at 1:56 am

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog.
Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one today.

Najia October 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

can i use hydrogenated cream to make chocolate Ganache ??? Please help me to figure it out as i’ve never tried it before… … :(

Valerie October 30, 2013 at 11:14 am

What brand of chocolate do you use?

nonie byrne November 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Just made this icing for a choc/orange cake but the ganache has separated and there is a thick layer
of oil on top of the chocolate. Did I not boil the cream enough ? I think I will have to just throw it away which is a shame because the ingredients were quite expensive .Have you any tips for next time ?

Gabby December 14, 2013 at 12:54 pm

THanks so much christmas is coming and i decided to make some

Gabby December 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm

thanks so much for the recipe its soon christmas so i am making some cookines and cupcakes with ganaches

Gabby December 14, 2013 at 12:56 pm

However, the Chou-Li (Programs of Chou), an anonymous treatise compiled from earlier sources in about the 2nd century BC, had the following order: metal, stone, clay, leather, silk, wood, gourd, and bamboo. The same orde

Gabby December 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Rachel December 21, 2013 at 3:48 am

Horrible recipe! tried it, and moving on.

Stephanie December 22, 2013 at 4:43 am

Hello Alice!
I was just wondering, can you use this recipe and method with white chocolate aswell?

Stephanie

Mary December 29, 2013 at 9:08 am

Hi I have made this chocolate ganache , it took a long time to set I put it in the fridge and it became
So solid that I found it very hard to stir spread , so I left it out to soften for a fed hours and added a small amount of unsalted butter to it and a little brandy , it was great able to stir and spread in my cake and on the top as well. !!!!!!! Delicious!!!!!!!

stephanja February 28, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Love this article, but I have one question…do you think the same measurements will be okay for white chocolate? (white chocolate is sometimes softer or thinner in my experience..)

k53 learners March 5, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Superb blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a
little lost on everything. Would you propose starting
with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?

There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..
Any tips? Cheers!

Kaycee April 1, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Loved the 3 pictures. I never knew you could whip ganache to make a fluffy frosting. Makes sense though! Tonight was my first go at ganache. So simple! Thanks. See what I did with the ganache: http://mrscrislip.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/devily-delicious/

Amanda April 2, 2014 at 10:51 am

I want to pre make piped decorations such as roses. Will this work for roses? and if yes can I freeze the roses to use later?

Sarah May 10, 2014 at 11:24 pm

If I want to make the piped version for cupcakes, how far in advance can I make the ganache? A day? Two? Just want to be sure it sets in time and that I’m not too overwhelmed the night before the birthday party. Also, once the cupcakes are iced are they ok at room temp or do they need to be refrigerated?
Thanks!

Princess May 28, 2014 at 4:59 am

Hi! I just want to ask, do I have to whip the chocolate ganache before piping it? I want to use it for cupcake as frosting.

Sarah June 4, 2014 at 8:49 pm

For the piped version you showed, how many cupcakes would this recipe frost? Just trying to figure out how many batches I need to make for 36 cupcakes…

Alice Currah June 5, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Hi Sarah, Honestly it just depends on how much frosting you use on each cupcake.

Sarah June 5, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I totally get that. I was figuring approximately the amount you used in the piped sample photo. Any idea?