Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

3wayganachecupcakes Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

As much as I love American fudge frosting, nothing beats the decadent, indulgent taste and texture of chocolate ganache.  Made of pure chocolate and heavy cream, ganache is a chocolate lovers best friend.  Its versatility as a glaze, decorative piping, and whipped cream answers the need for icing, frosting, and filling.

Below I have pictured 3 different ways to adorn cupcakes using the same recipe and batch I made yesterday.  As a glaze, you can easily pour ganache over cakes for a nice smooth finish.  If you are looking for a chocolate whipped filling, look no further.  Just whip the ganache as you would heavy cream, making sure your mixing bowl and beater are nice and cold.  And whatever you do, not put your ganache in the freezer with the hopes of whipping it.  It will not whip and have a curdly like texture.  For a thick frosting or decorative piping, allow the ganache to cool for a truffle like texture.  Anyway you decide to eat it, this ganache will satisfy your sweet tooth and chocolate cravings. Below are step by step photos to guide you. Enjoy!

4.9 from 34 reviews
Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: 1.5 cups

Three different ways to use ganache as frosting, filling, and for piping.
  • 12 ounces chocolate, chopped into small pieces
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • optional 3 tablespoons flavored liqueor
  1. Place chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until completely mixed and glossy. Allow ganache to cool before pouring over cakes as a glaze. The longer you allow the ganache to cool, the thicker it will set. Typically I stick mine in the refrigerator so it is slightly cold before whipping. For piping or frosting, allow the ganache to completely cool and set up. When you are able to spoon the ganache and it can hold its texture, it is ready for piping.

guittardchocolatebark Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
chocolateshavings Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
choppedchocolate Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
boiledcream Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
pouredcream Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
ganachestir Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
ganachestir2 Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
ganachestir3 Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
ganachebowl Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
glazedchocolate Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
whippedchocolate Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
pipedchocolate Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

pin it button Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

Comments

Oh my, thank you so much for this. I was looking everywhere for a good recipe and this is it. It worked perfectly to coat my cake pops. Again, thank you so much!

2. April says

Thank you so much! This recipe was very helpful! I was able to make beautiful ganache covered cake for my boyfriend’s birthday, turned out absolutely perfect!

3. Rosie says

I love your website so much! Looking at the photos make me really hungry. Anyway, the link to the caramel sauce at the bottom of the needs to be updated. I’d love to see the post for it!!

4. ellis says

what kind of chocolate do i use? and about how long shoule i whop the ganache …my whipped isnt the correct texture i dont think

• says

Hi Ellis,
      I just use whatever chocolate I have on hand. And you should whip it until you get soft peaks. It’s helpful to make sure the ganache is completely cool and your mixing bowl is cold.

5. Lyn Scott says

Hi, Great site. One question: I am making a chocolate ganache filling and wanted to know if I can whip it in the same bowl as I have it refrigerated in? It is a filling for a wedding cake. My first time. thank you for the reply.

Lyn,

Yes you can whip it up in the same bowl but you to remember to allow it thaw out to the same texture as a heavy whipped cream before doing so.

7. Kelsey says

I’m going to use the ganache for decorative piping instead of buttercream icing. One question tho- you mentioned in the beginning of the blog post not to keep the ganache in the freezer if you are going to use for decorative piping but then later in the post you mention, you put your;s in the fridge so it thickens a bit…so do i place the ganache into the fridge so i can use it for piping decorations? I stay in a very hot country and just so u get an idea…chocolate melts at room temperature when it’s summer at the place i stay in..thanks for ur help and this post is just FANTASTIC! :)

• says

Hi Kelsey,
      If you live somewhere where it’s hot, I recommend you chilling your ganache in the refrigerator. You’ll want to check on it every 20 minutes until it is cool and firm enough to pipe. What you don’t want to have happen is to let it get too cold. When this happens, it is virtually impossible to pipe ganache because the texture is more like clay. Hope this helps.

Hey – I love your website and especially this ganache :)

But if I click on the link “Simple Caramel Sauce Recipe” (below the last image) I end up at the ganache recipe – you may correct this bug…

9. koinonia says

It has been really helpful reading your comments =) Would like to cover my cupcakes with glazed ganache. How should I store them if they are to be eaten 2 days later? Thinking too of adding gumpaste figurines. Do you have any idea how I may attache these figurines? I live in a relatively hot and humid country.

Thanks a ton!!!

• says

Hi Koinmonia,
      You will need to refrigerate these if you plan on serving them 2 days later. Best thing to do is to store them on a cookie sheet and gently cover with plastic wrap. Because the ganache is soft, you could just gently press the flowers into the chocolate. Hope this helps.

10. Lexa says

This seems like such a great recipe! I’m definitley going to try it. I do have a question though: I’m making chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream icing, If I wanted to make a dip in the icing to fill with the glaze ganache, How would I go about that? Is it possible? How long would I have to let the glaze cool in order for it to be poured and set in the dip of the icing?

• says

Hi Lexa,
      I’m confused to what you are asking. If you want to dip your cupcake in the ganache so you can pipe regular buttercream on top, you should place the cupcakes in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. From there it should be hard enough for you to pipe frosting.

• says

Ina: I don’t’ know the answer to that except that I’ve used coconut milk to make ganache as a glaze. It wouldn’t work to whip it though.

11. Shae says

Thank you so much for this website! I have a ton of cupcakes to pipe tomorrow, and I was going to make the ganache tonight and put it in the fridge! Thank goodness I didn’t though!

12. amber says

hello, I am making my moms b-day cake today.. we will be eating in sunday… so that is 2 days from now. I am making a 2 layer chocolate cake. Wanting to put this as a filling, then all over cake too. My ? is, I froze my cakes, do I need to let them thaw out before putting the ganache filling on, and then on top as well. Will be using ganache as filling, icing glaze, then piping some beads too… So to thaw or not to thaw the cakes?

• says

Hi Amber: If your cake is frozen and you plan on spreading on thick coat of ganache, there is no need to thaw it out. If you are pouring it as a glaze, I recommend thawing it out to almost room temperature or you’ll get condensation beads on the frosting as you work. Once the cake is glazed, you can stick it back in the freezer for 1 hour for it to set before piping.

13. Cara says

Hey
    When making ganache in the past and allowed to cool for sometime, I’ve found it never sets completely to become thick enough to spread. I’m guessing its the chocolate I’ve used. But-
    Could I add butter to the recipe to help thicken it?

• says

Hi Cara: You could do 1 of 2 things. You could either use less heavy cream or refrigerate the mixture. When it’s cold, it’s becomes very thick.

14. Lia says

Hi Alice,

I’m so happy to find your site! I have never made ganache and want to use it to fill a wedding cake tomorrow. I’ve used a 1:1 (ie. 32 oz. chocolate:4 cups cream) ratio recipe and I’m very concerned that after nearly 12 hours in the fridge, it’s just not getting to a piping consistency.

I did not melt the chocolate with hot cream, but combined softened chocolate (spoonable) and hot cream until it formed a pourable mixture. Did this somehow affect it’s ability to harden??

If so, can I start over 4-6 hours before the wedding and it will set up in time? thanks so much!

• says

Hi Lia: I’m confused by your comment. You used spoonable, softened chocolate to make the ganache? If this is the case, your ganache will not firm up. You need to use hard chocolate and have the cream melt it. The reason why is because once the ganache begins to cool, it attempts to cool back to the hard consistency. But due to the added heavy cream, it remains stiff but soft enough to frost and pipe. I would not add chocolate to your mixture as I’m not sure what you mixed to begin with. If you have time, I would go to the store and buy chocolate chips and make the ganache according to the instructions. Once the ganache is ready to cool, you can pour it over a rimmed baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and stick it in the refrigerator. This will help chill the ganache quicker. It will probably be ready within a couple of hours. Scrape the chocolate back into a bowl or a piping bag and you’re ready to go. Hope this helps.

15. Lia says

Thanks for such a quick response, Alice.

What I meant was that I melted my chocolate chips (Ghiradelli) before adding the cream. Turns out my microwave has a melt setting that I tried out. Then the cream and chocolate mixed together well, but as of this morning, the ganache is a pudding-like texture and I don’t think will stand up to filling a cake….however, it’s a delicious ganache for pouring! :-)

• says

Hi Lia,
      Did you put your ganache in the refrigerator? I’m also thinking that pre-melting the chocolate was not the best idea. :/ If you don’t want to waste your chocolate, keep it stored in the refrigerator and use it as chocolate sauce.

16. Lia says

Well,

I served spoonable ganache as a sauce option for the wedding cake and it was a big hit! BUT–I’ll be making a practice batch today for next time!

Thanks so much for all of your help

17. trudy says

hi
    just wanting to know when doing the piping do i just let it get realy cold and then just put in piping bag and then i can just pipe away