Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

by Alice Currah on August 18, 2009. Updated April 18, 2011

3wayganachecupcakes

As much as I love American fudge frosting, nothing beats the decadent, indulgent taste and texture of chocolate ganache.  Made of pure chocolate and heavy cream, ganache is a chocolate lovers best friend.  Its versatility as a glaze, decorative piping, and whipped cream answers the need for icing, frosting, and filling.

Below I have pictured 3 different ways to adorn cupcakes using the same recipe and batch I made yesterday.  As a glaze, you can easily pour ganache over cakes for a nice smooth finish.  If you are looking for a chocolate whipped filling, look no further.  Just whip the ganache as you would heavy cream, making sure your mixing bowl and beater are nice and cold.  And whatever you do, not put your ganache in the freezer with the hopes of whipping it.  It will not whip and have a curdly like texture.  For a thick frosting or decorative piping, allow the ganache to cool for a truffle like texture.  Anyway you decide to eat it, this ganache will satisfy your sweet tooth and chocolate cravings. Below are step by step photos to guide you. Enjoy!

Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: 1.5 cups

Three different ways to use ganache as frosting, filling, and for piping.
  • 12 ounces chocolate, chopped into small pieces
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • optional 3 tablespoons flavored liqueor
  1. Place chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until completely mixed and glossy. Allow ganache to cool before pouring over cakes as a glaze. The longer you allow the ganache to cool, the thicker it will set. Typically I stick mine in the refrigerator so it is slightly cold before whipping. For piping or frosting, allow the ganache to completely cool and set up. When you are able to spoon the ganache and it can hold its texture, it is ready for piping.

guittardchocolatebark
chocolateshavings
choppedchocolate
boiledcream
pouredcream
ganachestir
ganachestir2
ganachestir3
ganachebowl
glazedchocolate
whippedchocolate
pipedchocolate

dorothy July 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm

love this instructional…my only question is when do you add the liquor.
just found your website…I am making this for husband’s birthday cake…

Sabriana July 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Hi Dororthy.. your hubby will love chocolate ganache in cake! Add the liquor (or sometimes I put a drop of vanilla in… or a small bit of coffee) after the liquid has cooled slightly – maybe to just above room temp. You can add it before you put in fridge if you’re doing that.
HTH!

Sarah July 14, 2011 at 12:49 am

Is it okay to use cooking chocolate for this recipe? Would the high oil content cause issues?

charlie April 1, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I used baking chocolate for this as follows: Baker’s 100% cacao, Baker’s 54% cacao. I used some of my higher math skills to combine them to reach *my* idea of the perfect dark chocolate: 75% cacao (well, close to that, at least). I followed the recipe exactly and got RAVE reviews on my ganache. Someone actually said that he assumed I’d been working on my recipe for years and his wife forbade me to share the recipe with him because she said they enjoyed it way too much.

Also, I had some ganache leftover, so I added a couple tablespoons of confectioner’s sugar and a couple tablespoons of heavy cream and formed hand-rolled truffles, which I rolled in some Ghiradelli powdered chocolate. HEAVEN!

Amy July 19, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I haven’t made this yet, but i’ve made TONS of Alice’s recipes and they all turned out amazing, so I thought I’d give this one a try. I was wondering how you made the recipe the 3 different ways- do you use a different paddle attachment? I want it whipped and piped.. can you help? :)

Cam July 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Alice, I have a couple questions:
1. What type of chocolate do you use? (i.e., semi-sweet, bittersweet, milk, dark, etc.)
2. Which style/type of Ganache would you recommend go inside cupcakes?

judy September 20, 2011 at 1:17 am

What type of chocolate is it?

Natalie August 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

How much ganache does this recipe make and how many cupcakes could I ice with the amounts above?

Tammy August 13, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hi Alice,

I love your website. Detail is great.
I am making a layered chocolate/ice cream cake that I’d like to cover in chocolate ganache and do some piping work in ganache. Can I freeze the ganache once I’ve done my work? My 8 year old has his heart set on this cake and i’m not a baker.

Thanks for your help and for the great website!
Tammy

Enza August 25, 2011 at 12:02 am

I love your piping in the third pic…can you tell me which tip you used and did you use the shell method? Thanks

Renee September 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Ok so I have looked everywhere for an answer to my question and am finally posting this hoping to get an answer. I make chocolate ganache all the time for dipping cupcakes (as a glaze) and they are yummy but whenever I try to frost cupcakes with ganache that has set up and I can pipe with a bag…the frosting gets too hard to enjoy. It doesn’t stay soft and creamy. Is there something else that I need to add or is this just to be expcected with ganache?

trinaloup September 19, 2011 at 1:31 am

Renee – I am also looking for the answer to this question!! Hopefully someone can help!!

Lori September 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Try a lower chocolate to cream ratio. If it is getting too thick, use less chocolate or more cream, that should keep it thinner. Good luck!

Patricia February 11, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I read elsewhere to increase the cream, like 12oz cream to 8 oz chocolate.

jennifer March 24, 2012 at 3:46 am

You can also add butter to keep ganache soft.

ultraln September 12, 2011 at 7:33 pm

What a great idea to use to cover cake pops

Marie September 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I am going to try this recipe for a cake that i am baking for a great friend! Thanks very much!! Thumbs up!

Tas September 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Awsome and simple recipe i tried it out on cupcakes.. brilliant!

Melissa September 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I used almond milk instead of cream. What a difference!!! It was amazing!! definitly try it!!

rita macalipay September 30, 2011 at 10:34 am

dont store your unused or left over ganache in the ref.store it in room temp only.my ratio 250ml cream and half kg chocobar

Jan October 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I want to whip the mixture, can I use an electric mixer?

alice October 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Yes, use an electric mixer or stand mixer.

Jody November 10, 2011 at 5:38 am

Can I cover a cake with ganache, let it set/chill and then pipe buttercream on top of it for my son’s birthday cake. Will the ganache set and thus the piping on top won’t run etc.?

Claudia November 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Is there any technique to make cupcakes flat? mine never come out that way! Thanks!

Hannah December 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm

If they don’t come out flat, cut off the top so they become flat.

Kate January 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm

With cakes you usually indent the top a little bit with the back of a spoon & they will only rise enough to fill out the dent :)

Anna March 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm

turn your oven down. your temperature is probably too high.

Frank April 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm

You can use dental floss to cut the top of the cake or cupcake so it is flat.

Kelsey November 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I love this ganache recipe, I’ve used it for cakes and cupcakes and it’s always a huge hit. I’m using white chocolate this time around to top some home made devils food double chocolate cupcakes for thanksgiving. I know this will be a hit too!

gabby December 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I tried this last night using semi sweet choc and carnation brand cream and i let it sit over night in the fridge and it was still liquidy. Where did i go wrong

alice December 14, 2011 at 1:09 am

Hi Gabby,
Did you use heavy cream of condensed/evaporated milk? I wasn’t aware that Carnation makes heavy cream.

Patricia February 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I had the same problem. I used heavy whipping cream and chocolate chips. I’m wondering if I got the wrong chocolate?

Robin December 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m excited to try this recipe for a wedding coming up in January. I assume using white chocolate would work just the same?

Nikki December 16, 2011 at 1:33 am

I have a white chocolate ganache recipe that is 12oz of white chocolate morsels to 1/2 C heavy cream. This turns out excellent. it’s made the same way, just a different proportion. I have tried it with milk chocolate morsels as well and it turns out equally as well. I think a lower cream content works better for the softer chocolates, but you could definatly try it with this recipe, it might turn out even fluffier than mine did. experiment while you have a little time. you don’t have to make it in full batches to experiment.

Mandy December 24, 2011 at 11:36 am

Hi, thanks for such informative post, but I was wondering how many days will the glaze keep? I need to bake and decorate 5 days in advance and am looking for an icing/ glaze that will keep. Thank you

Asma Moosagie December 26, 2011 at 4:38 am

Love this recipe! I made a few additions though, so I thought I’d share them.

1- I used two types of chocolate; about 200g Cadbury Dairymilk and 100g Dark Baking chocolate. If I’d use the Cadbury alone, the cream would lighten the Ganache and it wouldn’t become darker/glossy.

2- I didn’t add all the cream at once, I added to taste.

3- Instead of liquor I used 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, it tastes lighter & more chocolaty!

Another tip, you could also use Fresh Cream (whipping cream) instead of heavy cream. That’s if you’d like a nice piping ganache. Don’t whip the cream, add some in just after removing the chocolate from the stove.

Nevertheless, it’s one of the the tastiest, most original recipe I’ve come across on the net, way to go! :)

alice December 26, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Hi Asma,
Thanks for your tips!

Jayde July 3, 2012 at 7:56 am

Asma, how much ganache did this make? I need to ice a 4 layered cake.

Kate January 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I have to say this is just the MOST divine & versatile ganache recipe that makes a simply delicious, decadent topper for cakes, slices, biscuits or cupcakes. Thanks so very much for imagining, creating & sharing Alice!

alice February 2, 2012 at 2:54 am

Hi Kate,
Yes, I love ganache. You can also store in the refridgerator and pull some out when needed to make hot cocoa. Just add warm milk. :)

Chelsea February 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Hey. How do I make the ganache suitable for filling cupcakes? Thanks!

Ashley February 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’m planning a “painting party” for my daughter’s birthday and am trying to come up with a “paintable” cupcake. I am not generally a baker, and have only recently heard of ganache, so I was wondering if a white chocolate ganache glazed or dipped cupcake would be stiff enough to be “painted” on with gel icings or even a watered food coloring? Or does anyone have another idea of how to frost and then “paint” a cupcake?

Kandee February 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Ashley:
If you add a little less cream it should set hard enogh as a glaze or you could whip up some marshmallow fondant its quick and easy and it’s also easy to paint also if u make fun cut out shapes out of the fondant they can paint thos e and once thety dry take a little bit of water and you can attach it to the other piece of dried fondant or just ontop of the ganache which would add another layer to her cupcaked! You can find a simple marshmallow fondant recipe online just Google “simple marshmallow fondant recipe ” it only takes 3
ingredients!

And thank you for this easy recipe and thanks to everyone who commented with additional tips!

Ashley February 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Kandee thank you so much! I will google it and see what I think. I’m going to try different techniques first and see what works out the best. Thank you for giving me another option because I am trying to wing it here!

paula February 11, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hi Alice, I just made the ganache for whipping but can´t seem to get it to thicken, it just remains a beautiful smooth ganache no matter how much I beat.
I put it in the fridge until it was somewhat cold like the recipe said.
Any ideas what might be happenning?

Aadil February 14, 2012 at 11:33 am

Love the recipe! Btw, you can use condensed milk instead of cream and it still tastes delicious :)

Leanne April 17, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hi, could I use half dark chocolate and half milk chocolate?

carron April 20, 2012 at 3:58 am

Omfg this was so stuipdly easy! So freakin awesome! Awwwwmazing.

allison mortimer April 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm

what is heavy cream in english we have whipping double & single

Debbie May 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

its double cream Allison :)

Chocolate Ganache May 3, 2012 at 8:27 am

Great recipe! big fan of ganache here.

cookies May 16, 2012 at 3:58 am

please help someone :) I’m making ganache for my sons 1st bday cake. I’m using a edible image on top. should I put the image on the day b4 bday or put it on the morning of the party. I’m just wondering if the ganache will smudge the picture :( thanks

cookies May 16, 2012 at 4:05 am

o yeah how much choc and cream would I use for a 35cm by 35cm cake thanks heaps :)

Sadi May 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

My boyfriends birthday is coming up and he loves tiramisu and his favorite one we’ve had has a chocolate ganache around the outside edge of the cake, it’s sort of like a crust i guess. but i am wondering how i would go about doing that!

Debbie May 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Right, well here goes……am gonna make my very first batch of Ganache :)

Deeja May 26, 2012 at 5:07 am

Hi lovlely cupcakes i want to try the piped one which tip would i need to use??

Alice Currah May 26, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Hi Deeja,
Any star tip will work.

Catzie May 30, 2012 at 9:35 am

The piped one looks so yummy. :D

Maria June 5, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Hello,

This is a great recipe! Thank you. But when is the best time to whip? Right after mixing the chocolate and cream? Or do I let it cool? Another thing, can I use semisweet chocolate?

Jodi June 15, 2012 at 6:40 am

Using your ganach recipe between layers of a wedding cake. Top tier will be frozen for 1 year anniversary. Will the ganache freeze well? And when it’s thawed, will it be the same?

NikkiA June 15, 2012 at 10:17 am

Fantastic recipe, have just used it to fill a 33 x 27 triple layer chocolate cake, For my friends 21st birthday. Im no master baker and im so impressed with my efforts!
I used 600ml of Double cream (uk) and 150g dark chocolate and 300g of milk chocolate. At first as it was cooling in the fridge i didnt think it would be thick enough but after leaving for approx 2hrs to set and then whipping for a few minutes at high speed i ended up with a gorgeous pale chocolate mouse like whip.
For the outer piping im going to add more dark chocolate to try to achieve a darker colour. Just off to make that now but had to leave this comment first!
will be checking out your other recipes! THANK YOU so much :)

Jt June 18, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I have a question, if i’m using this whipped recipe for the filling of a
Cake that is going to be covered in fondant and left in room temperature (25 degrees celcius), will the whipped ganache melt inside?

Alice Currah June 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hi Jt,
It really should be refridgerated for the whipped ganache – it’s not stable enough or safe to be left overnight in room temperature.

Alicia F June 19, 2012 at 1:45 am

Thanks for this recipe. I used 11.5 ozs of Hershey’s milk chocolate and 1 cup of Borden’s heavy whipping cream. At first it looked really runny but it thickened as it got cooler. I placed my bowl over a container with ice to speed the cooling (and thickening) process as I needed it fast. Then I used a basic mixer and whipped it on med to high for about 3-5 min. It turned out beautiful and delicious! I used it as a frosting for my chocolate oreo ice cream cake.

Kristen June 19, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Hi Alice,
Do you think the piping texture would set well if I am using it in between layers with a raspberry filling and then frost the exterior with the same texture ganache?
K

Luis June 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I’m trying to make the whppied ganache and I was just wondering how long it would take for the ganache to cool and completely set up??

Pita June 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I just put the ganche on my cake how long will it need to set on the cake before I can decorate it with the buttercream?

Pita June 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm

After putting on the ganache and decorating the cake with the buttercream (BOTH YOUR recipes) can I refridgerate it overnight?
If I have ganche left over how would I store it?

amypersonally June 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! For a non-baker the word “ganache” is intimidating. Loved it so much I just featured this post on my website http://www.amypersonally.com. Kuddos!

Judy July 7, 2012 at 10:10 am

I am making this Ganache Frosting and would like to substitute heavy cream so the frosting wont have so many calories. Can I successfully do that? I promised to make this recipe as a birthday cake tomorrow.

Thanks so much,

Judy

Brandi July 8, 2012 at 10:04 pm

with this recipe do you let it cool completely before whipping it?