Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

3wayganachecupcakes Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

As much as I love American fudge frosting, nothing beats the decadent, indulgent taste and texture of chocolate ganache.  Made of pure chocolate and heavy cream, ganache is a chocolate lovers best friend.  Its versatility as a glaze, decorative piping, and whipped cream answers the need for icing, frosting, and filling.

Below I have pictured 3 different ways to adorn cupcakes using the same recipe and batch I made yesterday.  As a glaze, you can easily pour ganache over cakes for a nice smooth finish.  If you are looking for a chocolate whipped filling, look no further.  Just whip the ganache as you would heavy cream, making sure your mixing bowl and beater are nice and cold.  And whatever you do, not put your ganache in the freezer with the hopes of whipping it.  It will not whip and have a curdly like texture.  For a thick frosting or decorative piping, allow the ganache to cool for a truffle like texture.  Anyway you decide to eat it, this ganache will satisfy your sweet tooth and chocolate cravings. Below are step by step photos to guide you. Enjoy!

4.9 from 34 reviews
Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: 1.5 cups

Three different ways to use ganache as frosting, filling, and for piping.
  • 12 ounces chocolate, chopped into small pieces
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • optional 3 tablespoons flavored liqueor
  1. Place chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until completely mixed and glossy. Allow ganache to cool before pouring over cakes as a glaze. The longer you allow the ganache to cool, the thicker it will set. Typically I stick mine in the refrigerator so it is slightly cold before whipping. For piping or frosting, allow the ganache to completely cool and set up. When you are able to spoon the ganache and it can hold its texture, it is ready for piping.

guittardchocolatebark Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
chocolateshavings Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
choppedchocolate Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
boiledcream Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
pouredcream Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
ganachestir Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
ganachestir2 Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
ganachestir3 Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
ganachebowl Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
glazedchocolate Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
whippedchocolate Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways
pipedchocolate Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

pin it button Simply Glorious: Chocolate Ganache Recipe 3 Ways

Comments

1. Harriet says

Hi Lia…
    I’m using your ganache recipe to fill molds to make 2-inch tea “cakes” with a cookie base. The recipe calls for freezing the “cakes” after pouring in the melted chocolate/cream mixture, then unmolding after 6 hours. Sounds like a wonderful recipe, but I was wondering if I should then refreeze the “cakes” and serve them frozen (thawing for 15 min or so) or just store in the fridge and server from there. How hard does the ganache get when frozen? Thanks!

• says

Hi Harriot, after you’ve unmolded the cakes, store them in the refrigerator. If you must freeze, bring them out 30 minutes on the counter before serving.

2. Missy says

Thank you for the ganache tutorial. Just what I was looking for. One question: I plan to whip the ganache and use to frost cupcakes. May I make it in advance and hold it at room temp until time to whip and frost? Do I refrigerate it before frosting? If so, can I just put it in the fridge until time to whip and frost?

3. Debbie says

I love the way this looks – and it seems so simple! I’m looking for a cream/ganache recipe I can use to fill my molded chocolates. Will this work as a filling? What texture would be best?

• says

Hi Debbie: Yes this would work to fill your chocolates. I’ve never filled molded chocolates but I am assuming the chocolate is set, correct? If so, let the ganache come to room temp before filling the molds, so the outer chocolate coating doesn’t melt.

4. Julia says

Wow, this looks amazing!

I am planning to use the ganache glaze for my cupcakes, and I was wondering if you dipped the top of your cupcake into a bowl of the glaze, or if you spooned or poured some onto the cupcakes? And about how long did you let yours cool before putting it on the cupcake?

• says

Hi Julie, I use both methods. I spoon the ganache if the cupcakes are flat. I dip the cupcakes if they are domed. As long as the ganache is at room temperature, it should work just fine.

5. Debbie says

Thanks Alice! Yes~ the molded chocolates would be set first, and then I’ll probably have to give the ganache time to set a little too (probably in the fridge) before closing the chocolates. This is a new hobby for me (a life long chocoholic) so I have no idea how it will turn out. Hopefully it won’t be a complete disaster. ;)

• says

Hi Debbie: As long as the chocolate filling is cooled but still pourable, it should work fine. Fill the molds and place them back in the fridge. Allow the ganache to set up before pouring the top layer of chocolate to finish your pieces off.

6. corine says

Hi,
    I was wondering can you tell me how many standard size cupcakes this chocolate ganache recipe will frost if used as whipped frosting?

7. Cindi says

Hi Alice:
    Ruby asked the question that I needed answered, but I did not see the result here:
    Question: Once you spread the refrigerated ganache, can the cupcakes stay out of the refrigerator. Since heavy cream is used for the ganache, I didn’t know if it would spoil.
    Thanks!

• says

Hi Cindi: You can keep the ganache covered cupcakes out of the refrigerator for a couple hours. However, because of the heavy cream, it’s best to keep the cupcakes covered in the refrigerator or freezer. Piping and storing in the freezer works really well. You can bring them out an hour before serving and it works beautifully.

8. Jessica G says

Hi,
    I was just wondering if this recipe would be suitable to be sealed in a jar then freezing it?
    Thankyou

9. Victoria says

Hi Alice,
    Just wanted to drop by and thank you for the ganache recipe! It was a delicious substitute to heavy buttercream! I actually substituted white chocolate and piped it onto some white chocolate raspberry cupcakes! SO good! Thanx again!

10. Rhina says

Hi, I made your recipe and it is wonderful and easy. I made the ganache the night before frosting the cake. It became hard. I took out and left to thaw and it did not get soft at all. So I ended up making another batch. I still have the clay like ganache in the refrigerator, Can I add more warm cream to softner it? Or should I just toss this out???

• alice says

Hi Rhina,
      You can always warm up the ganache by reheating in the microwave in 30 second intervals. After each interval give it a stir until smooth. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for this informative post, and the great pictures. Really just wanted to know what Ganache is made of! I enjoyed reading this post and might even try to make it myself!

I love the simple intructions. The name garnache is already intimidating and i never wanted to try it until someone asked me for it.. It’s a such a simple recipe to make and with the your pictures it makes it even simpler. Thank you so much for this. Could i use the whipped version as a cake filling? because of it’s lighter color it looks like it would look lovely in between cake layers.
    Again thank you :)

13. Resh says

Hi Alice,

Just love this recipe! So much better than normal chocolate frosting and waaay easier to make.

Just needed some advice on left over ganache please. How do I store it? How long can I store it? and how do I reheat it after storing it ?

Thanks!
    Resh

• says

Hi Resh,
      You can store it in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks. Just allow it to come to room temperature on the counter for frosting, and you can reheat it in the microwave in 30 second intervals for a glaze.

14. Sharon says

Can I make the cupcakes with the ganache the night before, put them in the fridge and take out the next day an hour before serving? Also, at what point do I put the ganache in the piping bags? While warm before I put it in the fridge to cool? First timer here with super fancy cupcakes for my daughter’s communion and want to get it right! Thanks!!

15. stacie says

this sounds wonderful, and I am glad I found it! I am making a girlfriend a cake for her going away party – chocolate on chocolate. I also want to make a rolled chocolate fondant to cover the cake. Which of the three ganaches do you recommend I use as my crumb coat/frosting base? I was assuming either the glaze or the piping consistency. Thanks in advance for your answer!

16. Empress says

Is the only type of ganahe chocolate or can u have plain or strawberry? If so how do you make either. Thank you

• Alice says

Ganache can be made with either brown or white chocolate. You can also add flavorings such as extracts or liqueur to it. I can’t testify about adding fruit except if you plan on whipping the white chocolate ganache, you could always add strawberry jam in the process for a mousse like filling.

17. Diane says

Hi Alice,

I just love the looks of the piped ganache frosting. Could u please tell me, how many cupcakes is this frosting for ? I’m planning to make abt 35-40 cupcakes. So, i can make a approx. measurements.

Thank u.

• says

Hi Dianne,
      It’s hard to say. The recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups but people use different frosting amounts when decorating cupcakes. If you were going to pipe big borders, you would be able to get about 8 cupcakes. If you were going to just add a simple glaze, you would be able to decorate many more cupcakes.

• Diane says

Thanks Alice for yr reply… will try it out… just piping cupcakes with small borders.. thanks again for the quick reply.

18. Diane says

Hi Alice,

Have another question, i can’t get heavy cream over at my place. Is it ok, if i use low fat fresh cream ?

Thanking u in advance…

19. Joan Ralston says

Was trying to make a whipped ganache for a yellow cake with strawberries between the cake and ganache. I made the ganache, refrigerated it until it was cool and whipped it but it looks grainy not nice and smooth like whipped cream. Am sure it will taste just fine but would like to know how I goofed. Was it whipped too much or too little? What should the final consistency be? Appreciate your response and thanks. Joan

20. aida says

hi i was wondering …. after ive mixed the ingredients will it become whipped chocolate on its own as it cools or do i have to add more of the heavy whipped cream ??? first time ever baking a cake .

21. rachel says

i accidently purchased normal cream for whipping. should i go out and buy thickened cream, or can it be made with pouring cream? should i whip the pouring cream if so?