{Thanksgiving Recipe} Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

by Alice Currah on November 24, 2009. Updated November 22, 2011

brusselssprouts Thanksgiving Day is just a few days away and I thought I would squeeze in one more Thanksgiving Day related recipe.

A couple of nights ago I prepared this dish for my family and it was too wonderful not to share with you. If you’ve never had brussels sprouts or you have and they weren’t very good, this is the recipe for you! It is so delicious and simple, it would make a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving feast or for any meal. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!

bacononionfrybrusselssproutsfrying

{Thanksgiving Recipe} Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 4-6

• 2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
  • ½ lb. of bacon, cut in little ¼”-1/2″ pieces
  • 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  1. In a pot of boiling water seasoned with a tablespoons of salt, cook brussels sprouts for 5 minutes and drain. In a large stir fry pan, cook bacon pieces with onions until bacon is crispy on medium high heat. When bacon is crisp, carefully soak up as much bacon grease possible with paper towels and tongs. Add brussels sprouts to the pan and stir fry everything for 5 minutes or until brussels sprouts begin to brown. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Enjoy!

Nutmeg Nanny November 25, 2009 at 12:35 am

I would go nuts for these! I feel like brussel sprouts are starting to become the new “it” vegetable…haha. I love the addition of bacon. What wouldn’t bacon make better?

Elaine Cho November 25, 2009 at 1:05 am

Hey Alice
I love your blog. I have been watching it ever since D’s wedding! There is so much great stuff here, I am beginning to wonder why we don’t all just celebrate the holidays at your house:) Looks like there would be a pretty fantastic spread. Also, I couldn’t help but smile when I saw your brussel sprout recipe because it is so similar to mine. The only difference is I use pancetta and pearl onions in an apple cider reduction. Anyway, thought you should know, I am roasting some sweet potatoes right now to make your delicious pie. You are truly amazing and inspirational. Happy Thanksgiving:)

Rae Ann November 25, 2009 at 1:23 am

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! It will be part of my Thanksgiving dinner for sure.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} November 25, 2009 at 9:09 am

Love the addition of onions and bacon here! Looks delicious :)

Chris November 25, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Great looking side dish! Bacon always works for me. Happy Thanksgiving!

E Kwo November 25, 2009 at 11:41 pm

I’ve made brussel sprouts this way for a while but now add a splash of balsamic when they’re all done. Delish!

Lauren November 26, 2009 at 12:35 am

This looks lovely! Enjoy your thanksgiving =D.

J November 26, 2009 at 3:22 am

Delish – just had this tonight and it was tasty!

dion November 26, 2009 at 9:51 am
Rae Ann November 27, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I tried the brussel sprouts and served them with my Thanksgiving dinner. What a hit! They were yummy! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 28, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Your brussels sprouts look wonderful. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

nandini.p November 29, 2009 at 2:12 am

Amazing combination!!… would never have occured to me… bacon and brussel sprouts both r my favourites!!!. I am a regular visitor of ur blog…

Marc @ NoRecipes November 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Wow we must be on the same food wavelength or something, I made brussel sprouts with salted pork (i.e. fatback) for Thanksgiving. Looks delicious with the bacon!

slapthefat November 30, 2009 at 11:32 am

We just tried this out last night and I can’t wait to get home so I can finish the leftovers before anyone else gets home !

Mike Gainer December 2, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Thanks for posting this. I tried brussel sprouts for the first time tonight using this recipe and enjoyed them. Family liked them too.

Kebi Cedawna December 6, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I had never heard of sauteing brussel sprouts until this Thanksgiving when my mom made them. Now, I’m seeing recipes for them all over the place. Looks delicious!

Eva December 20, 2009 at 9:43 pm

My dad jusr brought me a whole bag of brussel sprouts. I’ve never tried those before and don’t know how to cook them. Now that I’ve read your blog, I am definitely going to give it a try tomorrow. :)

Homemade Generator April 21, 2010 at 11:01 am

Hmm delicious, thanks for sharing this amazing foods.

Sam

Kids Eat Free Houston June 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm

This is a great idea, I will try it today.

Kohls Coupons June 9, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Bacon with anything is good!

Target Promo Code June 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm

This is also good if you some pepper sauce on top.

Guinea Pig Sounds June 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

This is a very good recipe thanks!

Whitney February 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm

This is fantastic! Thanks for such a great recipe!

Lunette de soleil Fendi May 26, 2011 at 5:30 am

This is really good information. You have done an excellent job of research and writing.

Cindee November 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

How many does this feed?

jenny July 13, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I added red bell peppers and barbeque seasoning and it was delicious.

Christy November 13, 2012 at 9:38 am

I make them like this, except I add minced garlic and splash beer in and braise the brussel sprouts for about 5 minutes. I can’t explain how good this is! The bacon and onions and beer make a happy party in your mouth with the brussel sprouts.

Alice Currah November 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Hi Christy,
There is a brewery near our house which serves fantastic food. They use a splash of beer in their vegetable side dishes and it is amazing!

Jill W November 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I’m so glad I found you on Pinterest tonight! Hubby and I made this as soon as we finished reading it. Can we just say scrumptious, yum! Hubby was not a fan of brussels sprouts until now. Thank you!

Becky April 14, 2013 at 9:31 am

Made these with turkey bacon, sorry must cut fat calories … They were awesome!

June Lampassi October 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

10/11/13 – Just found this recipe this AM. I had brussel sprouts in frig. and made them for breakfast. I made one change and swirled in a little butter at the end. They were so delicious I had to stop myself from eating the whole dish. My diabetes keeps me from larger portions but you can bet I’ll have the rest for lunch. I love roasted potations and will make a batch from time to time. I think I will try adding them to the sprouts at a later date. For now I’ll just enjoy them as they are – delicious. For meat lovers. I wonder how they would taste with left over corned beef or ham pieces. Sorry, I love recipes and cooking and my imagination is always running wild. I enjoy preparing foods that taste good as leftovers too. Being single this helps with time ant $. Thank you for sharing. I must check out your cook book and other recipes you are sharing.