{Simple and Amazing} Blueberry Sauce Recipe

by Alice Currah on February 28, 2010. Updated March 2, 2010

[donotprint]
I’m so excited to share with you this simple but amazing blueberry sauce. This recipe is very similar to the cranberry sauce recipe I shared on the site months ago, but make no mistake, this blueberry sauce does not take a back seat to no other.  My breakfast today went from ordinary to extraordinary when I spooned this warm blueberry sauce over my stack of pancakes. I could not help but feel so spoiled while eating it.  I can’t explain in words how awesome this simple blueberry sauce really is, you will just have to make it yourself to understand why I love it so much.  Trust me, if you pour this warm sauce over pancakes you will feel like you died and gone to heaven – that good. Best of all, this recipe is ridiculously easy. If you cannot cook and you make this for your friends and family, they’ll suddenly think you’ve gone gourmet on them.

You know what the best part about this recipe is?  I used frozen blueberries!!  You could easily use fresh berries but in this case frozen blueberries really work beautifully.  This sauce would be perfect over pancakes, french toast, blitzes, crepes, cheesecake, ice cream, or any recipe calling for a fruit sauce.  I highly recommend serving this sauce while its warm.  If you’re planning on making pancakes or french toast soon why not add some homemade blueberry sauce on top?  This sauce will turn any simple breakfast into a special morning. Enjoy!
[/donotprint]

Homemade Blueberry Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups frozen blueberries

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

Optional: 2 teaspoons grated orange zest/rind (I highly recommend adding the rind)

Directions:

Cook blueberries, sugar, and water on medium-high heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.  Turn heat off and stir in orange rind. Serve immediately while warm.  Makes approx. 1 1/4 cups of sauce. Enjoy!

Lauren February 28, 2010 at 12:28 am

Alice, your photos are simply awe-inspiring. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the blueberries =D.

Natalie February 28, 2010 at 12:29 am

This sauce looks mouth watering, and the photos are great! I love the butter on the sauce, you can tell its slowly starting to melt. Delicious!

Marc @ NoRecipes February 28, 2010 at 1:09 am

I have blueberries and buttermilk in the fridge. I know exactly what I’m making for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration:-)

Divina February 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

The title says it all. The sauce is mouthwatering and I’m craving for some pancakes after reading this post and looking at the photos.

Jessica @ How Sweet February 28, 2010 at 8:34 am

Your pictures have me absolutely drooling at this for breakfast. Looks incredible delicious!

Jamie @ My Baking Addiction February 28, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Yum, I love fresh blueberry sauce on homemade waffles. This recipe sounds fabulous, your photos are gorgeous!

Suzanne B February 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

This looks wonderful! I Love blueberries and I ADORED your cranberry sauce! Gonna have to make some, stat!

Do you think any leftover sauce would keep well in fridge or or even the freezer ( that is IF there are any leftovers!)

thanks Alice!!

Vanessa March 1, 2010 at 12:48 am

Woke up this morning and saw this and was so excited. Had a breakfast with family scheduled and was making crepes and this was a perfect addition! Yummy. My boys finished off the sauce tonight on some vanilla ice cream.

oneshotbeyond March 1, 2010 at 8:13 am

gorgeous presentation!

Maria March 1, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I love simple and amazing recipes. This one looks perfect!

GrilledShane March 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm

This blueberry sauce on blintzes would be absolutely amazing. I normally like mine simple with just cinnamon sugar but this sauce would be a very welcomed addition. Oh so yummy! And great photography.

Virginia bed and breakfast | Victorian inn bed and breakfast | Romantic bed and breakfasts March 2, 2010 at 7:57 am

That is really stylish appetizer and easy to make delicious recipe. I just purchased the beautiful blueberries today. I think those blueberry pancakes will have to stay on the back burner for a while. I will make this recipe and serve it with a slice of pound cake. Brie and Blueberries, Brilliant!
Thanks for sharing!!

Best Regards,

Dina March 3, 2010 at 10:39 pm

now that’s blueberry sauce!

Marc @ NoRecipes March 4, 2010 at 12:02 am

I ended up making these for breakfast on Sunday. Soooo good!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 5, 2010 at 11:30 am

This sauce does look amazing! My hubby is a blueberry fanatic, so I’m sure he’d love it. :)

Alta March 5, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Looks delicious! I’ve made a version of this before, using lemon zest instead of orange, but I bet orange is really good here! I love your photo – and how you topped those pancakes with as much sauce as you could possibly do!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets March 6, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Oh my it does look indulgent, indeed! Thanks for sharing such a simple and delicious recipe with us :).

S March 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm

That picture is the most attractive thing I’ve seen today so far. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

Veronica Miller March 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I was making my favorite buttermilk pancakes this morning and remembered this recipe near the end of cooking them all. My hubby was willing to wait an extra ten minutes so I could prepare it and it was simply fabulous! I only had mixed frozen berries (bluberries, raspberries & blackberries) so I used those and it was incredible. I don’t think we’ll ever use maple syrup again! Thank you so much for sharing this simple and delicious sauce recipe.

Marly March 30, 2010 at 9:29 am

We have been using a recipe similar to this but it includes corn starch. We’ll have to try this one next time because it still looks thick, but not so much as the one we’ve been using. I especially like the idea of adding the orange zest. Great photos!

Lily August 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Just made this sauce, and it really IS amazing!!! I never really thought of myself as a fruit-sauce type of person, but this truly is delicious. I adapted it to what I had, though: substituted agave for sugar and added 3 tsp kudzu starch to thicken it. I also opted to use orange zest, which really brought it up to a whole new level. I left all of the proportions alone besides that. Definitely a keeper! One last note – it is a great substitute for jam in yogurt, if you don’t like all the extra sugar that comes with a lot of yogurt. Thanks for the great recipe!!

Lee Ann Samons March 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I had a craving for something blueberry and found this recipe. It is very good. I also fixed Oven Baked Pancakes from http://www.grouprecipes.com

kim June 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I make pancakes every weekend and need some change. We have an abundance of strawberries and blueberries in our garden… should I add more sugar/water if using fresh berries?

alice June 13, 2011 at 1:03 am

No.. keep the ratio the same.

Sarah September 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Just saw this recipe- most definitely can’t wait till tomorrow morning… We are having breakfast for dinner !

JO June 5, 2012 at 10:53 am

The one cup of unhealthy white sugar can be replaced with raw or organic Agave. Blueberries taste great just cooked and no unhealthy chemical added. If the blueberries are too acidic, add Agave or a healthy sweetner. The blueberries make their own sauce without adding sugar, cornstarch, lemon, vanilla extraxt, zest, or unhealthy items.

Alicia August 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm

“Agave syrup is very high in fructose. Depending on the brand, agave can contain as much as 92% fructose. Nowhere in nature does this ratio of fructose to glucose occur naturally. The amount of fructose in agave is much, much higher than the 55% fructose in high-fructose corn syrup or the 50% fructose in refined table sugar, making agave “nectar” worse for you than either table sugar or corn syrup….” – http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/the-many-different-kinds-of-sugar

JO June 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

If you must consume white sugar, http://www.marthastewart.com/337597/blueberry-sauce, has a recipe with one-fourth cup suga, two cups blueberries, and one tablespoon fresh lemon juice.

I do not see having a one to two ratio, one cup white sugar to two cups of blueberries, as healthy…you are eating carmelized sugar with a few blueberries. That is why the sauce looks like a lump of mud. The carmelized sugar is over-taking the blueberries. Remember, white refined sugar is considered unhealthy. Your family deserve healthy foods.

JO June 5, 2012 at 11:47 am

On http://www.marthastewart.com the blueberry recipe is refined to reduce the sugar and strain out the pulp for a refined smooth sauce. The recipe is two Tablespoons sugar, three Cups blueberries, one tablespoon fresh lemon juice, a pinch cinnamon (a healthy spice).

I still think that the white sugar can be eliminated.

Just cooked blueberries and a healthy sweetner is okay.

Gratefulfoodie September 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Fabulous recipe…just made it for the first sponge cake I have baked in over 20 years! Dang I’m older than I thought, but this recipe was perfect!!!!

Therese Robitaille January 5, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Looks wonderful but I would never ruin a great blueberry sauce by adding all that sugar. Doesn’t anyone here care about their health?

Misti M February 23, 2013 at 12:52 am

this is so simple but divine… I am put this on cheesecake and Oh My was it Wonderful it is perfect !! Thank You so much …..I also love the pics that is what first got me !

Charlotte March 28, 2013 at 7:51 am

Can leftovers be refrigeratored or even frozen? And if so how long will it last?