One of my m0st favorite desserts to make for Valentine’s Day or special occasions are molten lava cakes. If you’re not familiar with these special chocolate cakes you’re in for a real treat. Each cake is baked in individual cups (or cupcake tin) and served warm with a melt in your mouth chocolate liquid center (lava).
Don’t let the photo intimidate you from making these miniature decadent chocolate cakes from heaven. This recipe is really easy, quick to prepare and bake, forgiving, and will make you look like a rock-star. As a warning, if you dust them with a little powdered sugar, whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla or mint ice cream, you may earn a reputation as a “Dessert Diva” and will be required to make these every time company comes over. And if you are a guy making this for your sweetie… trust me on this, chocolate is the way to a woman’s heart.
These cakes are as good as the ones you order in fancy restaurants not to mention for a lot less expensive. So if you’re looking for a great easy chocolate cake dessert to serve for your next romantic dinner or dinner may I suggest these molten lava cakes? Enjoy!
- 10 tablespoons (1¼ stick) butter
- 8 oz (1 cup) chocolate chips (any type of chocolate chips will work but I recommend semi-sweet or a combination of bitter and semi-sweet)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups confectioners' (powdered) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL : 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur (Kahlua) OR 1 tsp. instant coffee powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 6 -6 ounce custard (ramekin) cups or cupcake tin. In a medium microwavable bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter in the microwave for 60 seconds and then in 30 second increments until smooth (about 1.5-2 minutes total). Add flour and sugar to chocolate/butter sauce. Stir in the eggs and yolks until smooth. Add vanilla and coffee liqueur/instant coffee and mix everything until combined. Divide the batter evenly among the each cups. Place cups on top of a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. The edges should be firm but the center will be runny. Run a knife around the edges to loosen and invert onto dessert plates or you can serve each molten lava cake still in the cup.