Affogato

by Alice Currah on May 21, 2010. Updated May 30, 2010

Some of you at this very moment are wondering what the heck is an affogato.  After all, isn’t Savory Sweet Life all about everyday recipes?  Coffee lovers rejoice!  You’re in for a wonderful treat.  Affogato is an Italian coffee dessert made up of a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a shot of espresso poured over.  And let me tell you… it is absolutely divine.  So simple yet so good.. my kind of dessert.  If you don’t have an espresso maker, strong coffee works too.  Either way you have it, affogato is one of life’s greatest pleasures.  Enjoy!

Affogato Recipe

Pour a shot of espresso (or 1/4 cup of strong coffee) over a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Have you enjoyed this post, photos, or recipe? Share this post with friends and family using your favorite social media service and support Savory Sweet Life at the same time. Each time you submit (it’s free) SSL’s content to Stumbleupon you help Savory Sweet Life to grow. This allows me to continue to do what I love to do, which is sharing with you!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 21, 2010 at 10:31 am

I am one of those people that until I read down, I didn’t know what affogato is. It looks fabulous! I love coffee-flavored anything – except plain coffee.

Eliana May 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

Sometimes the simplest things taste the best

mortonc May 21, 2010 at 11:15 am

Kahlua works just fine for this, too. With or without the addition of a little chocolate sauce. YUM!

Parita May 21, 2010 at 11:25 am

This is exactly what I need right now! Heaven!

Dawn (KitchenTravels) May 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Love that first photo. The little drip is perfect!

pam May 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm

the first time i heard/saw this was during the movie amelie. mmm, i love this stuff!!

Veronica Miller May 21, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Haha–brilliant! I love “recipes” like this. Did you know that hot mustard (like the kind at Chinese restaurants) is just equal parts water and mustard powderd?! When the two combine, it causes a chemical reaction which makes the mustard really hot. Prepared mustard has vinegar in it, which neutralizes the heat. Anyway, this ice cream is DEFINITELY right up my alley. Growing up we didn’t get many treats but one of my Mom’s vices was vanilla icecream topped with Kahlua and creme de cocoa and she’d let us indulge whenever she did which now makes me laugh b/c at the time I didn’t realize I was eating alcohol and I wonder what in the world my mom was thinking! This reminds me of that treat, but as an adult I think I’d appreciate the contrast of the bitter coffee with the sweet & creamy ice cream.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen May 21, 2010 at 6:53 pm

This is one of my very favorite desserts – over hazelnut gelato, it is a DREAM.

Wenderly May 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Be still my heart. I ADORE, simply adore coffee. Thank you for your very clever idea to help me enjoy my beloved coffee in yet another delicious way!

kamran siddiqi May 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm

OH. MY. GOSH! Alice, as simple as this is- your photos looks absolutely enticing! Time for me to get out the homemade vanilla ice cream and some espresso.

Erica Lea May 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm

That looks amazing. Coffee ice cream is just about my favorite flavor. This looks so simple and delicious. Thank you for sharing – your photos are wonderful.

Von May 22, 2010 at 5:36 pm

The crema on the espresso looks amazing. I wish mine would come out looking like that!

Megan Gordon May 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I love affogatos, Alice! Basically two of my favorite things–jammed together. There was a little Russian bakery when I lived outside of Boston that made a mean one (key is to use way more ice cream/gelato than you think you should so it doesn’t all melt down immediately).

deeba May 23, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Affagato is my all time favourite Alice …. beautiful post! The coffee lover in me is leaping with joy!!

Cherine May 24, 2010 at 1:51 pm

This is mouthwatering!

Acekard 2i May 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Absolutely gorgeous – I remember having Affogato in Florence, it was heavenly!

Melange a Trois May 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Yes please! With my baby girl not sleeping- this is just the sort of pick me up I need today…

sarah May 25, 2010 at 2:39 pm

the first time I had affogato was in a little cafe in Rhodes.
How I wish I was back there sipping affogatos and watching the world go by.
What beautiful pictures.

Jenny May 25, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Ooh, just found another use for our Nespresso machine. We’re having our community group over tonight and I know what dessert will go great after our pasta dinner. Thanks! =)

Danica May 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm

YUM!!!! I have only done this with coffee, but, I definitely NEED to try espresso now :)

Jess May 25, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Ive been reading your blog for a while, and I absolutely love it! Great job!

tiina { sparkling ink } May 27, 2010 at 9:50 am

You always find a new to inspire – this looks absolutely gorgeous. Can’t wait to try it!

Twee May 27, 2010 at 10:58 am

Yummy..Love the hot/cold-bitter/sweet-aromatic/delicious contrast of affogato al caffe’..Thanks for reminding me of this decidedly grown-up treat.
In the winter, the gelato shops around here also make “affogato alla cioccolata calda” for the chocoholics! So rich and comforting.

Slicey May 27, 2010 at 11:48 am

Affogato is my absolutely fave coffee house treat! I love that my local gelato place has an espresso machine so that I can try my affogatos over all different kinds of yummy gelato flavors.

And when I’m desperate for a cold coffee drink and the only thing around is a Starbucks, I order my Frappuccino affogato-style! It really cuts down on the intense sweetness and makes it delicious. :-)

alice May 28, 2010 at 12:21 am

Slicely,
I’ve never heard of an frappuccino style affrogato. Can you tell me exactly how they make it?

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 27, 2010 at 8:30 pm

YUM! I have had this in Boston, and it was incredible. Now I’m wishing I had an espresso maker so I could make this right now.

Sylva May 30, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Wow, I did this last summer without knowing that it’s an Italian recipe! My friends looked at me and wondered what I was doing, now I can tell them it’s an Affrogato. Thank you! :-)

Mikey June 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I never heard of this name before, but I have been making this since the 1980′s in my college dining hall. I thought I was the only one. A dish of vanilla ice cream with a little strong black coffee drizzled over it. Who knew I was a gourmet back then?!

Ann Grismore June 3, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Affogato is a wonderful dessert! I like to add some dark chocolate curls to it :)

Catherine July 15, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I love Frappuccinos affogato style, will definately try this tonight!

Alice, I love your website and recipes. They are fabulous! If you haven’t heard back about it yet, a frappuccino affogato is a frappuccino made the normal way and then a shot or two of espresso on top. I think it tastes the best if you top the frappuccino with either caramel or mocha sauce before adding the shot(s) on top.

Michele July 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm

My husband asks for these at every espresso shop in the summer. He always asks, do you have vanilla ice cream? Do you know what an affogato is? And then, when the poor barista says no, he instructs them in making him an affogato. They are yummy.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer October 23, 2010 at 12:27 am

This is def my kind of ice cream topping. WIll be trying this one!

thehalfbacon May 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm

This is fantastic with Kahlua.

Andrewaus May 25, 2012 at 5:45 am

Here in Australia most affogatos are made with liquer as well as icecream and espresso. Frangelico is a favourite in many cafes and restaraunts.