How to Make a Mocha Frappucino

by Alice Currah on June 17, 2010. Updated June 18, 2010

This last week has been the most insane, chaotic, and exhausting week I’ve had in awhile.  I wish I could report to you I had some exciting news to explain my lack of posting here or a thrilling new project which has been occupying my time.  The truth is… life as a stay-at-home mom of three kids can sometimes zap all my energy and time, leaving none left to recharge and do the fun things I enjoy, like posting here and sharing with you.  This week I’ve been in survival mode, attempting (and failing miserably) to keep my head above the busy waves of life.  The reason this week has been so crazy is because we’re wrapping up the end of the school year tomorrow.  This means every other activity my daughters are involved with are all finishing as well.  We’ve attended end of the season parties, ceremonies and class picnics with more to come this weekend.  This is on top of our already busy schedule.  I’m whining and I know it – sorry.  Full on exhaustion has kicked in.  I’ve been averaging 4-5 hours of sleep each night trying to catch up on things and more importantly, comfort Eli.  He’s been sick the last few days and when he’s miserable, I’m miserable. The poor little kid won’t eat, has a hard time sleeping, and has been clinging to my arms for comfort.  This leaves for one tired mama who’s been relying on coffee as her choice of therapy. What I have for you today is a recipe for mocha frappucino adapted from my original Starbucks Frappuccino recipe I posted last year.  I think it’s appropriate I post my version of a mocha frappucino because I’ve been making 2 of them daily this week to keep me going through the day.  This recipe is very flexible and don’t worry if you don’t have an espresso maker.  Strong coffee will work just fine.  I hope to be back to posting something new and fresh for you soon.  In the mean time, please enjoy a nice blended coffee drink for me.

Alice’s home version of Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino Recipe

Ingredients:

1.5 cups of crushed iced

3/4 cup of milk

2-1 ounce shots (2 ounces total) espresso *read below using coffee as a substitute

1 tbl. of sugar (more or less depending on preference)

2 tablespoons chocolate syrup

*optional whipped cream in a can or freshly made and chocolate syrup

*If you don’t have an espresso machine, use 3/4 cup of double strength (strong) coffee mixed with 1/2 cup of milk and increased crushed iced amount by 1/4 cup.

Directions:

Blend all the ingredients except the whipped cream in a blender for 45 seconds.  Pour into a tall glass and top off with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate syrup. Best served with a straw. Enjoy!

**Other Variations**
*Use splenda, flavored coffee syrups, or flavored coffee creamers for a portion of the milk. For a richer beverage, use half and half (Low-Carb), or heavy cream for a portion of the milk.

Eliana June 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

This would help anyone through a crazy day. Looks delicious. Hope your summer is more restful.

Wendi June 17, 2010 at 1:56 pm

At home Frappuccino’s would be the perfect solution to the left over coffee in the pot. I detest reheating it. Now I don’t have to.

Three Baking Sheets June 17, 2010 at 2:35 pm

We’re all entitled to a little whining.

Enjoy your caffeinated de-stressifiers. They look delish.

Deborah June 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Droolicious! Thanks for sharing!

Kale Kim June 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I make this in a similar way, but with many more calories–by using ice cream instead of milk!

Lizzie April 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I think I’ll try that.

Carrie June 17, 2010 at 5:13 pm

This is a tough time of year for parenting. I think it was made even harder when daylight savings was moved to be earlier – baseball was “like forever”!

Jennifer June 17, 2010 at 7:31 pm

You’re amazing doing all you do!
I love adding Chocolate Ice-cream to mine …

KY June 17, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Dear Alice, hope the weeks ahead will be easier on you. Hope Eli gets well soon too!

Can’t wait to try the mocha frappucino now that I have an espresso machine. :-) Do you make your own chocolate syrup too?

alice June 19, 2010 at 4:01 am

Thank you everyone for your sweet words of encouragement.

Ky: I do make my own chocolate syrup sometimes but not often unless I’m baking and have extra in my refrigerator. I usually just ganache which can be found on this site. A spoonful of this decadent chocolate mix makes everything and anything better. :)

Baking is my Zen June 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Looks so good! I’ll be printing this recipe!

Carmen

Erin from Long Island June 18, 2010 at 1:26 am

Isnt it amazing how easy it is? And how much healthier and cheaper you can make it? I worked at Starbucks for a long time and I made my own “fraps” with nothing that is in the real ones…too much fat and sugar for me. Mine were iced coffee, espresso, ice, splenda, and sf vanilla syrup. yummmmmm

Kathy June 18, 2010 at 8:42 am

Our school ended last week and I know EXACTLY what you mean. End of May and early June feel like an Iron Man triathlon – you just keep hanging on and hope to survive it!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 18, 2010 at 10:34 am

Sorry to hear you have had such a rough week… Hopefully things slow down soon and you can get a break and some rest! I have to say that your frappuccino looks wonderful. I am craving one now!

Cookin' Canuck June 18, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I am walking over to my blender right after writing this to make one of these frappucinos. Will report back.

I’m sorry you had such an exhausting week and I hope summer brings you some relaxation (and sleep!)

Cookin' Canuck June 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Okay, I am sipping on this right now and it is fabulous! Thank you, Alice.

Autumn June 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Your drinks always look so00 delish!
You rock :)

cindy June 18, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Thank you once again for a fabulous recipe. I hope the sun is shining today at your house, and that the craziness subsides soon.

Meredith June 19, 2010 at 7:37 am

I feel you! I am having the same two weeks. I cannot wait for this school stuff to be over. I’ve been mainlining iced coffee but this sounds even better.

Amanda June 22, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I have never had one of these… and with the calorie content I am not sure I should ever try one. By the looks of your sweet creation.. I would be HOOKED FOR LIFE! :)

Blessings-
Amanda

Maria July 8, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Hi Alice!

This looks amazing and ever since i tried one of these frappuchinos at starbucks I have been craving one ever since! The problem is that i live in Denmark and we only have 1 starbucks in the whole country so it isn’t easy getting one of these. Another problem is that we use some other measurements here in Denmark and I would like to ask you how much “1 tbl. of sugar” is. Is it an abbreviation of “tablespoon”? I noticed that you used the word tablespoon with the chocolate syrup, so I just wanted to make sure. And do you know how much “1 cup” is in dl?

I hope you can help me – or any other person who knows this. Thanks!

G. July 13, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I’ve been making these a lot lately and they are SO good! I am on a gluten-free diet so I can’t drink the starbucks frappuccinos because of the mix they use plus these are a lot less expensive! I added a banana to it one day and it was delicious. (if you like bananas). :)

Carolyn-What Life Dishes Out July 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I make the hot Cafe Mochas like Starbucks all the time at home, but I never do the iced drinks. I will definitely give this a whirl! (Get it? Whirl. Blender. I’m a dork.) Thanks for the recipe!

Karen July 26, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I was wondering if you could use instant espresso powder. Has anyone tried this?

Suzi September 17, 2010 at 8:11 am

Hey all!
Just found your blog and have to comment. I drank at least ONE Mocha Frapp from Starbucks every morning for the past ten or more years. When they changed the recipe it was GROSS!! All I can taste are the chemicals. :( However… it WILL save me serious bux and so I am testing every home recipe I can find along with experimenting myself. I’ve found that you can use splenda, {no carbs} cocoa powder {unsweetened, very low carbs} heavy cream {diluted, to substitute for the milk….. again… much lower carb count} espresso and ice. I need a new {BETTER} blender though! HA! I hate the ice chips that are left behind cause of my cheapo blender… and I’ve burned up several so am considering a VitaMix {even though they are WAY expensive… but you can do a LOT with them! Anyway…. just wanted to say thanks for your recipe and Rock On!

Matt April 28, 2011 at 7:22 am

I lacked heavy whipping cream at the time I found this recipe and waiting was not an option. haha!

Whole milk tasted fine, but I would totally use the cream next time!

How much coca powder do you use?

alice April 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Hi Matt,
I use chocolate syrup and not cocoa powder. 2 tablespoons is what I use.

Dayve November 22, 2010 at 7:35 am

Hi Alice. Just bumped into your website. Thanks for the recipe. Gonna try soon… ;)

kaitlin December 2, 2010 at 12:30 am

i’m going make my own frappe right now at home.

Fred February 24, 2011 at 12:51 am

Thanks so much for the recipe. I made a reduced calorie version of a Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino from this recipe substituting: unsweeetened almond milk for the milk, sugar free sweetener (Splenda,Equal) for the sugar, and No Sugar Added Nestle Chocolate Nesquik, and it turned out delicious ! By the way, a less expensive alternative to the expensive Vitamix, is the best low cost blender I have found that I use almost daily: Hamilton Beach Wave Station Express Dispensing Blender (sold by Kmart) for around $23.00. It’s even made especially for frozen drinks. I highly recommend it. I hope my suggestions help you all, the way this recipe helped me come up with my own reduced calorie version. :)

Matt April 28, 2011 at 7:19 am

I did this; it was heavenly.

My spur-of-the-moment adaptation utilized whole milk, 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract and a “Small” Keurig cup of robust coffee and the ingredients listed here. A thick, fluffy head was achieved which lent a delightful texture to the drink. I would probably use more ice with my next creation to thicken the body.

I perpetrated several methods of assault and battery against 3 ice cubes until they were crushed small enough to fit into my serving size one-touch-blender. Given the lack of water-tight seal on the personal-sized blender, I wrapped the whole unit in a towel, depressed the “Hi speed” button and let fly, about 1 oz being sacrificed to the process.

Worth it.

Janiea June 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Alice: Can this frapp work with water if you don’t have milk?

Jordan September 18, 2011 at 8:28 am

This was amazing as soon as I saw it I had to make it Thanks for this wonderful idea so I dont always have to beg to go to starbucks

Dallas Cupcakes May 8, 2012 at 9:12 am

Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Cakes and coffee go together very well, and I make variations with Silk soy milk.
I usually make a pot of double strong coffee and mix about 9 tablespoons of coffee in with it. This makes about a half gallon. I store it in the fridge. When I want to make a Frappucino, I just take it out and mix it with an equal portion of either vanilla or chocolate soy milk. For frozen I just blend with ice in the smoothie maker. Frappucino and cupcakes make Dallas happy!

Heather May 25, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I just made this now and it is super good! I love Starbucks mocha fraps and this is just as good, probably better. :) The only thing I changed to make it a little healthier was to use xylitol instead of sugar and I used Ahlaska organic choc syrup. I was too lazy to make fresh whipped cream, so I left it out, but it didn’t matter – all I can say is yummy!! :)

David June 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm

This was a great recipe, especially since I don’t own an espresso machine haha but thank you, now I know what to do with cold coffee from earlier or what not!

Theresa June 18, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I am so in love with coffee! This version of Mocha Frappuccino looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Kimmy June 29, 2012 at 1:24 am

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I made my own chocolate syrup in order to make this xD (:

KP Riley March 22, 2013 at 3:46 pm

So Good! I used a flavored creamer with the first trial. PERFECT!!! PERFECT!!!

Dina Fish March 25, 2013 at 2:44 am

I will be buying an esspreso machine as soon as my husband gets a job so I can start making my own. I drink them to get rid of migraines and it will be cheaper and easier to make my own instead of going to buy 1. Can’t wait.

Alice Currah March 25, 2013 at 8:16 am

Dina,
I haven’t regretted investing in a nice machine in all the years we’ve owned ours. Hope you enjoy yours too.

Aisling May 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I absolutely LOVE this because i live in Ireland and we only have starbucks in Dublin witch is like a 2 hour drive from where I live so its good to have a recipe for my fav drink of all time
thanks
Aisling :D

Grace May 27, 2013 at 9:33 pm

So good!!! I just made it! I added a lot more ice, and a little chocolate ice cream, and Wowzers…. It was awesome!!!!!!!! Make this right now!!!

Caitlyn June 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Hi Alice!
these taste so amazing
my cheapo blender leaves ice chips and makes them super liquidy but i just popped it into the freezer for a few minutes and it’s perfect! Amazing recipe. Can’t wait to see more from you!

Tammy July 22, 2013 at 2:58 am

Awsome….. When my boyfriend comes home from work he will have a great surprise…. I already tried it, Awsome is all I can say and also saves me $5.00 a drink … Thank you sooooo much.

Mae November 17, 2013 at 1:20 am

Dear Alice,your recipes are so useful always if im looking for it.

Now,im thinking of making this mocha frappucino next weekend for my family and friends,but I dont know how many servings can this make. I need a recipe which makes 22 servings or more,can you give me one?

Alice Currah November 17, 2013 at 1:41 am

Hi Mae,
It is hard to say really. You could double or triple the recipe but you will have to make one pitcher at a time. The amount of ice will also very. If you’ve ever made a smoothie then you know the amount of speed combined with the speed it is blending makes a different. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

Mae November 18, 2013 at 7:44 am

Its okay. This recipe is very useful to me and if I want to make 22 servings,I think I need to follow your advice. But once again,how many servings can I make in your recipe? Sorry if I am making you repeat again but im just want to be sure :) Thanks!