{4 Ingredients} Nutella Brownies

by Alice Currah on August 23, 2010. Updated April 9, 2011

I’m very excited to share with you today’s recipe for Nutella brownies.  My excitement has nothing to do with the fact that anything made with Nutella tastes better.  However, I’m excited because this recipe only contains only four ingredients!!!  Now you may be asking yourself right this minute on whether or not you can trust a brownie recipe with only four ingredients.  This is a fair question I will address because I had some skepticism myself.  But rest assured, these little hazelnut chocolate bites are well worth the 3 minutes (if that) it took for me to mix the batter and the 12 minutes it required to bake.

This recipe comes from pasty chef, cookbook author, and Fine Cooking Magazine’s contributing editor, Abby Dodge.  She has a new cookbook coming out next week called Desserts 4 Today: Flavorful Desserts with Just Four Ingredients filled with fabulous everyday desserts made with only four ingredients.  She gave me permission to post her fabulous recipe here – Thanks Abby!  I’ll be doing a review of her cookbook on Savory Sweet Life later in the week and will also be giving away a few copies.  So stayed tuned!

Back to the brownies.  The texture of the brownies are more similar to a gooey cake.. .molten lava cake to be exact.  If you’re hoping for a chewy brownie, these are not it.  Instead, they are more like super moist cake except the brownies literally melt in your mouth.  The recipe makes exactly 12 mini cupcake sized bites and it is hard not to eat them all in one setting.  I can already tell these little chocolate bites of yumminess are going to become my regular late night pick me up snack.

I should also mention, this recipe does not require a mixer and children can easily whip up a batch.  Enjoy!

4 Ingredients Nutella Brownies
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12 pieces

Amazing Nutella brownies using only four ingredients. Reprinted with permission from Abby Dodge, cookbook author of Desserts 4 Today: Flavorful Desserts with Just Four Ingredients.
  • ½ cup Nutella spread
  • 1 large egg
  • 5 tablespoons all=purpose flour
  • ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
  1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup mini muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
  2. Put the Nutella and egg in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and well blended. Add the flour and whisk until blended.
  3. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins (about ¾ full) and sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts.
  4. Bake until a pick comes out with wet, gooey crumbs, 11 to 12 minutes. Set on a rack to cool completely. Serve immediately or cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Notes
Switch-Ins: In place of the hazelnuts, switch in one of the following: * ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon (add with the flour) * peanuts, chopped, ¼ cup

Switch-Ins:  In place of the hazelnuts, switch in one of the following:

• ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon (add with the flour)
  • peanuts, chopped, 1/4 cup

Elizabeth October 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I made these with 1 tablespoon of gluten free plain flour, and 4 tablespoons of gluten free self raising flour (because thats all I had in the cupboard!) and adjusted the nutella to just under 3/4 cup. OMG super yum! Gooey chocolately brownies, chewy on outside, gooey in the middle. If you are looking for the easiest gluten free brownie recipe adjust this one and it is devine!!

Desiree October 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, I was skeptical at first but they are awesome! They really are like molten lava cake with the flavor of the furrer rocher chocolates.. Rich and Delicious!

Sapna October 26, 2011 at 9:18 am

Can you suggest any replacement for egg?

alice October 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Hi Sapna,
I know of people replacing eggs with ground flax seed. However, I have not tried this myself.

Patty November 9, 2011 at 10:46 pm

1Tbls ground flax seed mixed with 3Tbls warm water =1 egg.
I have used this replacement with a few cake recipes, but have not tried with this nutella brownie recipe yet.

jan June 14, 2012 at 11:45 am

chia seeds soaked in water can be used for egg sub…they are good for you too.

Kayla September 23, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Banana! Just put in enough smushed banana to get the same consistency

annie karcher October 27, 2013 at 10:50 pm

You might applesauce or banana.

Waterless Cookware October 26, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Those look fantastic! My kids absolutely love Nutella, so I know they would love these! They look so simple to make that I could probably just have them make them for me, my daughter certainly does love to cook.

MikeHawk Sofaking Huge October 27, 2011 at 4:14 am

I think you have your measurements wrong, The consistency isnt anything close to your pictures. wtf women? Get in the kitchen and make me a sammich!!!

irishbird208 January 24, 2013 at 10:53 am

Um, how bout you calm down and go make yourself a freakin sandwich.

Sofia November 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

OMG! These are amazing! I made these for my family for Thanksgiving and they ALL wanted the recipe! :)

mary boyd December 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

I do not have mini tins so what other pan would work? I was thinking of doubling the recipe & using a 9×9 or 13×9 which one would work best?

alice December 14, 2011 at 1:07 am

Hi Mary,
I would be reluctant to make this in a square pan. When baking in tiny tin size, the brownies will not fall apart. But if baked in a large pan, this might not be the case.

Vanessa July 9, 2012 at 4:26 am

I have baked these many times, but once I tried as “Nutella Pie” (in a circular 9″ shallow pan) and they were great!

cassandra December 16, 2011 at 4:24 am

hi, i really want to try these but i only have self raising flour would that work?

Jacqueline January 18, 2012 at 2:51 am

Love them! Fudgy and dense, just the way I like mine. Turned out perfect even in my convection oven– tweaked it to 15 min using 160 degree celsius :D an idiot-proof recipe!

Mallory January 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm

These are in my oven right now! I cannot wait to see how they turn out!!!

Alex January 23, 2012 at 1:23 am

These brownies did not taste very good and the texture was iffy. Not what I like in a brownie at all. It yielded only 6 tiny “brownies” too. Disappointed

Vanessa July 9, 2012 at 4:28 am

Depending on what size your eggs are, the texture can get a bit rubbery. Doubling the recipe with 2 large eggs and 4/3 cups of Nutella works well for more.

Natala February 5, 2012 at 12:19 am

Beautiful! I made these with the family for World Nutella Day and we all loved them. Easy to make but very hard to resist!

ACsMama February 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have a batch in the oven about ready to come out, and they smell delicious! I didn’t have mini muffin tins, so I used the regular size ones and only filled the liners half-full, so we’ll see how they taste!

Shai March 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm

what temperature do you bake them at?

Sophia March 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I just made these and while they tasted good they were not at all gooey inside like molten lava cakes, more like cupcakes or brownies. I followed the directions and what is odd is my oven usually runs a little cooler so I usually have to increase heat and time but I baked at 350 and for 11 minutes. Will try again and either use 4 tbs flour or bake for 8-9 minutes

Jason Turner April 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I think it’s because I’m a guy or something like that, but the brownies turned out horrible. It has a very weird centre and the crust is awful tasting…I’d give it another go but the taste still haunts me…

Beck April 6, 2012 at 3:53 am

I made these exactly as written and they were perfect. A definite keeper. I can’t wait to try some more of the recipes you have here!

Alexandra April 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm

They were good but it was very messy for me to get it in. I think my consistancy is wrong.
o well they were still good

TBC April 25, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I made these today and took them to work- they were fantastic! So easy to put together & so tasty!
Thank you for the recipe.

shayma April 28, 2012 at 2:36 am

I tried the recipe yesterday! And I as well was skeptic at first, but it turned amazing!!
totally recommended! ;)

Jackie Hunter April 29, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I liked this recipe! I did not get the lava cake effect, but they are very yummy!! Good for when you don’t have a lot of ingredients in the kitchen!! :) Thanks!!!

Kristen May 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Yum! Loved these!!!

Kristen May 7, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Yumm-oh!!! Loved these!

babyg June 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

Hi!
This seems really YUMMY!
Though, I was just wondering if you suggest me an alternative for the Nutella?
Please & Thank you! :)

Katiebakes June 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Delicious! Just came out of the oven and they are perfect! I used a regular sized muffin tin and filled the liners halfway. I also used whole wheat flour instead. Thanks for the recipe! So easy!!

Linda June 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Pretty good. Although I do agree messurements are way off. It barley made 6.

Ashley June 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I was in search of a simple recipe to fulfill my sweet tooth and use up some Nutella I had in the cabinet. This was not the right recipe. I decided to try it based on the majority of the reviews being good. Everyone just does not have the same tastes. This recipe was horrible. The consistency was definitely there…brownie like with a gooey center but it tasted like nothing. I couldnt even taste the nutella. This recipe was a waste of my perfectly good Nutella.

Suzane August 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Husband didn’t have all ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies and he had a sweet tooth. I remembered we have huge jar of Nutella. Found this recipe, seemed easy enough so we tried it. It was soooo easy, taste fantastic. You must try these for yourself!

Suzane August 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm

P.S we used a very small glass cake pan in the toaster oven on bake with temperature just a little higher than directions. Center was nice and gooey. Do not add to much flour. We also substituted almond slices. If you have a nut allergy you can use pretzel. If you like sweeter add a little powder sugar or Stevia.

ldigf September 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’ve made these twice and they’re SO GOOD! Thank you! make sure to bake small ones so the center bakes, though.

Aruna October 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I’m looking forward to trying this, but I’m confused:

1. How does this work without baking powder & soda?

2. There is also a 4 Ingredient Nutella Cookie recipe. What are the differences in the two recipes? Is it only the presence of sugar and the different amounts of flour?

Dewy October 21, 2012 at 7:04 am

I just tried it..n its delish and so easy to make…perfect for my lazy afternoon snacks…thanks u.

Lyndsay November 2, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I used a regular sized muffin tin. They were a little too rich for me as a cupcake, so i took them out of the cupcake wrapper, put them in bowls and put vanilla ice cream on top. OMG was it good! It tasted just like a brownie sundae!

Sherry November 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Made this this afternoon, followed everything exactly. While they were good, they weren’t my absolute favorite. My kids loved them! This recipe is a keeper though, simply because its so easy with few ingredients! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole December 18, 2012 at 1:07 am

I didn’t have much Nutella left, so I used only slightly more than 1/4 cup. They still turned out pretty good though, although the inside was not as gooey as I wanted. This is also rather easy, and combined with my Tefal Pie and Co., it’s totally idiot-proof! Thank you.

Mes225 December 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I don’t have any mini-muffin liners. Would they work just fine without them/ just using Pam?

Kel January 8, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Made these last night but doubled the quantities, left out the nuts, added caramel chips to the batter and stuck half a white chocolate button in the top of each one. Soooo good! Will be making another batch to bring to work for World Nutella Day next month. I’m quite chuffed I actually managed to cook something in my super temperamental oven without burning it! Yay!

Aniela February 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Didn’t like these. Were quite dry. Won’t be making again

bonnie March 2, 2013 at 5:46 am

Just made these!!! Wow..delish!!! Did tweak the recipe slightly. Doubled it minus 1 tbsp of flour and added 6 oz of semi=sweet choc chips. Came out fantastic

Kristine April 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm

These look and sound great! I’ll be making them today for my snack :)

Mandy May 26, 2013 at 1:12 am

This tastes delish. I baked this and it was gooey on the inside and nice and chewy on the outside. Awesome recipe!

Karla June 9, 2013 at 2:07 am

We loved this recipe! We double it and made it on the electric oven, it took a bit more time but all the recipes seem to take longer to bake where we live. It was a little dry, maybe we should use less flour next time. So easy and fast to make! :)

Jane Rüffert June 12, 2013 at 9:30 am

Plain or self raising flour? (Nutella Muffins)

Jane Rüffert June 12, 2013 at 9:30 am

plain flour or selfraising? (Nutella muffins) ? Thank you

Kylie June 17, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I was having a craving for something chocolatey and yummy, and this was definitely it! Not only are they moist and rich, but they are the perfect amount of chocolate, and because it doesn’t make TOO much like some mixes and recipes, this made the perfect amount for me to not feel bad if I eat the whole pan! I made mine in a round 7 or 8 inch pan, upped the time by a minute and only used 4 tablespoons of flour instead of 5!they came out perfectly! Again, thank you so much!

Niamh July 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm

First time baking with my three girls and these are in the oven as we speak. Hope they like them :). Super easy recipe. There goes the alarm ;)

Cezara July 8, 2013 at 7:10 pm

350 degrees in celsius or farenheit?

confused August 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm

is it ok to use Cadbury chocolate spread instead of using nutella?

Cookware Super Sale August 11, 2013 at 12:36 am

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog before but after browsing through many of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
Nonetheless, I’m definitely pleased I came across it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back often!

MsPieceofPie January 9, 2014 at 7:21 am

I love this recipe. It’s so simple and easy to make. Plus, it’s yummmm. My family love these.