Chocolate Covered Ghost Pretzel Rods

by Alice Currah on October 14, 2010

Take a good look at these adorable chocolate covered ghost pretzels.  Aren’t they cute?  Not only are they fun to look at, these pretzels are super easy to make in no time.  I was inspired to create these sweet and salty treats for today’s PBS Parents Kitchen Explorers post on “Creative Halloween Snacks and Treats” article.  I wanted to come up with a homemade treat which kids could easily help make or do completely themselves.

The only ingredients you need is chocolate candy coating, pretzel rods, and an edible ink marker found at local baking and craft stores.  I’ve included instructions on how to make these and have featured several other fantastic, creative ideas from around the blogosphere to help inspire you for your upcoming Halloween.  So jump over to PBS Parents Kitchen Explorers and share your ideas or comment on the ones I posted.  We love hearing from you!

daphne October 14, 2010 at 1:50 am

it seems fun to eat and enjoy. . love this treat! good job=)

the blissful baker October 14, 2010 at 8:25 am

so cute! what a fun project for kids!

Michelle October 14, 2010 at 8:39 am

So cute and fun to do with the kids. I really need to get one of those markers. : )

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon October 14, 2010 at 9:14 am

Alice, just looking at the photos of your ghostly pretzels is making me very happy this morning.

CookiePie October 14, 2010 at 10:43 am

Those are too adorable!!! So sweet and fun.

Eliana October 14, 2010 at 11:18 am

I just came across your other blog not realizing it was you (feel so silly now). Love these pretzels – they would not be any cuter.

ShawnsPlate October 14, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Too Cute!!! The kiddies in my neighborhood are going to love these!

shannon October 14, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Alice,

Thank you so much! We have been searching for a healthy fun Halloween treat to hand out after Aalia’s soccer game. We have it now!

alison @ Ingredients, Inc. October 14, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Love these! I am making these this year for sure! Super cute!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 14, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Even without kids, I definitely want to make these… They are adorable!!

Maria@LaPiattini October 14, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh my these are too cute! I think I may make them for my co-workers.

KY October 14, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I don’t recall seeing pretzel rods in my supermarket. Got to go check tomorrow! These are so cute!

TrishInFL October 14, 2010 at 8:24 pm

These are just too cute :-)

Cindy October 15, 2010 at 10:01 am

Hi Alice! Super cute idea. I can’t wait to do these with my son, I love him helping me in the kitchen and telling him all about food, even though he’s a bit young now (just turned 2) :)

Jen @ How To: Simplify October 15, 2010 at 11:44 am

Oh my goodness…these are super cute!

Cookin' Canuck October 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Alice, these are so darn cute! I have to make these with my kids.

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes October 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Super duper cute! I would love to make these with my little nephews and neices! Thanks for sharing…
Cathy B. @ brightbakes

LimeCake October 16, 2010 at 12:52 am

those are so adorable! even a big kid like me finds them appealing!

the wanna be country girl October 17, 2010 at 10:58 am

I love em! I was looking for something to take to a kids Halloween party that they can carry and not need a plate or fork for. Plus they’ll love them
Thanks!

NanaBread October 17, 2010 at 11:38 am

I made these this weekend for the grandkids. They were really easy to make, and turned out super cute. I think your faces turned out much better. I used a small tube of black Wilton decorating gel, which was a little sticky. I used the end of my white chocolate to drizzle horizontal lines to simulate mummy wrappings. Thanks for such a fun idea. Jonah & Lilly are going to love these. To see how mine turned out, you can go to:

alice October 17, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments. This is one of those projects where parents are glad to be able to make something with homemade flare in packaged food quickness.

Nanabread: I love your mummy sticks. So creative!

leslie October 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Easy and adorable!

bigFATcook October 19, 2010 at 2:02 am

Heeeyyy!! These little pretzels look like angry cigarettes :)))) But still they are super cute:)

Greets from BFC !!!

Momma Cooks October 19, 2010 at 3:55 pm

These are adorable – low maintenance but very fun and special. Great idea!

Souffle Bombay October 19, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Alice, these are super cute!

We have an annual Halloween blowout party and I always have crazy treats similar to this – these are so easy…(you should see how long it takes for me to make Frankenstein pops lol) think they will be showing up at the Kennedy house this year!! THANKS!!

Maris (In Good Taste) October 20, 2010 at 11:58 am

These are SO SO CUTE! Love it. I might make these for a work Halloween party!

jane (this week for dinner) October 21, 2010 at 6:07 pm

TOO cute!! such a great idea!

Lauren October 25, 2010 at 10:35 am

What a fun treat! They are also so easy to make which is a relief. I feel like a lot of times Halloween Recipes can get really complicated really fast. As a working mother I feel like I never have enough time for anything and with Halloween this weekend I have been looking for some fun ideas for my kids. I work with Better Recipes so I am always reviewing recipes but unfortunately don’t get to cook as often as I would like but this weekend I’m determined to. Thanks for the idea!

the urban baker October 26, 2010 at 10:18 am

totally and completely cute! i have to make these! love the simplicity of them, however i know the kids and all our neighbors will devour them!

tanya October 30, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Theses are super cute but I tried with 2 different food safe markers and could not write on the chocolate once it was cooled. I used Wilton candy melts and Wilton markers. So sad as this was my son’s treat for preschool for tomorrow and now I am stuck with some sad looking pretzels as I ended up dying the chocolate and trying to paint faces on with colored chocolate–not as cute…but yours are great, wondering why mine won’t work…

cheryl March 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

the faces you put on these set them in a whole new category of cuteness… creatively fun! so glad to have found you on pinterest!

LeAnn October 24, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I attempted to make these last night and the same thing that happend to Tanya happened to me! I used Wilton candy melts and Wilton edible marker. The marker would NOT write on the chocolate once it melted. It was like trying to write on wax. I was so upset! I ended up dipping them again and sprinkling them with halloween sprinkles. :(