I’ll have a Double: Iced Thai Latte Recipe

by Alice Currah on May 18, 2009. Updated January 10, 2010

thaiicedcoffee21For some reason today I was craving Thai iced coffee but ever since we replaced our broken coffee maker for an espresso machine, I’ve had to adapt my specialty coffee drinks into specialty espresso concoctions.

Today was the first time I tried making an iced Thai latte.  I was so proud of myself because it turned out so well.  A while back I purchased a bag of whole cardamon pods and have enjoyed discovering new and different ways to use them.  Today I used them to spice up my afternoon, literally.

Although I found several iced Thai coffee recipes on the internet, there were none for lattes.  So I decided to come up with my own.   Both my husband and I are so glad I did.  I hope you will be too. Enjoy!

cardamonpods1

Iced Thai Latte Recipe
Ingredients:
2 shots of espresso (or 1/2 cup of super strong coffee)
2 cardamon pods (seeds only), ground to a fine powder (or 1/4 tsp. of cardamon powder)
1 tbs. of sugar
2 tbs. of condensed milk
1 cup of crushed iced
1 cup of milk

Directions:
In a tall glass, add sugar, condensed milk, milk, cardamon, and espresso stirring until well combined. Add crushed iced slowly and serve.

espressocondensedmilk

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie May 18, 2009 at 6:24 am

Iced latte spiced with cardamom sounds great! I love the little pink umbrella in your presentation!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 18, 2009 at 8:54 am

Sounds wonderful… We managed to sell our old espresso machine at our yard sale last weekend. Thinking about getting a new one soon!

Carrie of Bella Cupcake Couture May 18, 2009 at 10:23 am

I have a cousin who makes delicious cardamom biscuits. This sounds like it would go nicely with them (or without). Thanks for the tip!

oneshotbeyond May 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm

A triple for me! YUMeeeeeeeeeeZ!

jenn May 18, 2009 at 1:39 pm

That’s so neat!! I love thai iced coffee, too. I wish I had an espresso maker. Come to think of it, I think I have small stove top one somewhere around the kitchen. You’ve got me craving for some now!! This would be a perfect way to perk up my day.

Jen May 18, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I was seeking inspiration for my morning latte today and this recipe is it! Perfect!

Kate May 18, 2009 at 4:15 pm

That looks fantastic! I’m now totally craving Thai iced coffee.

Nutmeg Nanny May 18, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Oh wow this looks really good. I’m always amazed at how creative people are in the kitchen:) Now I just need to make me one of these super yummy iced coffees!

Michael Natkin May 19, 2009 at 11:27 pm

That sounds delicious, and probably a lot healthier than the premix Thai-iced tea mix. Not to even mention the place I used to go to that used nondairy creamer instead of condensed milk. Gag me with a spoon. How do you like having the espresso machine instead of the coffee pot? I’d like to go that way if I could convince the fam.

jamieofalltrades May 20, 2009 at 12:51 am

Sounds very good. I love cardamon in cookies too!

alice May 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Thanks everyone. I love this drink. IT is particularly good for those who love coffee and chai.

Michael: We waited a long time debating whether or not to purchase this machine. Our machine is fully automatic except I do foam my own milk. With that said, both my husband and I would go to SBUX daily and we figured out the machine will pay for itself in 6 months or less. I don’t miss my coffee maker at all. When guests come over we serve them espresso and everyone is happy.

Big Boys Oven May 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm

just lovely!

Juliana May 20, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Wow, looks great! Wish could have a sip of this ice tea. Love the condensed milk in it. Great pictures.

Reeni May 25, 2009 at 10:21 am

I’ve been looking for some yummy treats to make with my espresso machine. This looks really delicious and so refreshing!

sheena August 9, 2009 at 1:01 pm

i lovedd this so much, i have to stop myself from drinking too many of these! it definitely satisfies my sweet tooth :)

alice August 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Sheena:
Glad you liked it!

Annina September 19, 2009 at 8:25 am

Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe! It sounds and looks so delicious! I’ll definitely give it a try!!!

eunice March 29, 2011 at 9:42 am

This is amazing. I don’t have an espresso machine so I used strong coffee from the pot. The chardamon is what makes it! I was always wondering what that yummy taste was from when I ordered Thai coffee. Delish. Thanks a bunch!

Samantha March 31, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Is there anything I could use instead of condensed milk? It’s not something we normally have in the house.

alice March 31, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hi Samantha: You can easily omit the condensed milk and just use milk, half and half, or cream. Sweeten as you like. Hope this helps!

Marcus August 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

Instant favorite!!

Amanda February 9, 2012 at 1:27 pm

This looks delicious! I look forward to trying your recipe. Thanks for sharing!