DIY: Easy Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

by Alice Currah on August 29, 2009. Updated August 31, 2009

Last week I bought a big bag of corn tortillas.  I was lured in by the fact they were on sale.  After eating tacos for a few days I wanted to use them up before throwing them out.  As a result, I made baked tortilla chips.  They were ridiculously easy to make and our whole family loved them!  This is a great way to use left over tortillas for nachos, salsa, or snacking.  So if you find yourself with more tortillas than you know what to do with, here is a great recipe for you with step by step photos! Enjoy!

Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

Ingredients:

Corn Tortillas

Vegetable Oil

Salt

Chili Powder Seasoning (optional)

Garlic Salt (optional)

Parchment Paper

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat each side of a tortilla with vegetable oil. Stack oiled tortillas and cut in 8 pieces like pizza slices. Place chips on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Season chips with salt. You can also season with chili powder and garlic salt. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Using tongs or chopsticks, turn over each chip and bake for an additional 7 minutes. Remove from oven and serve. Chips are best when consumed within the same day. Enjoy!

oiledtortillachips

cuttingtortillas

prebakedtortillachips

bakedtortillachipsoutoftheoven

jenn August 30, 2009 at 2:36 am

Nice. I like to add fresh garlic to mine. I’ve been making my own tortilla chips for several months now and I don’t think I’ll ever buy the store kind again. Unless it’s for a really big party. hehe…

Michelle August 30, 2009 at 8:09 am

Love this! Our family movie night is every Friday and we always make a huge platter of nachos, but I’ve been so annoyed with the rising price of a bag of tortilla chips lately! This is a really great way to still have our nachos, but save some money too. Plus, we’ll use the tortillas for wraps, so it’s getting used twice. thanks!
~Michelle

sweetbird August 30, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Wow – I knew making fresh tortilla chips was easy, I just didn’t realize it was this easy. I’m going to have to try this.

Chris August 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Simple yet fantastic, I like it! This would also be an easier way to do tortilla strips used for garnish. Thanks for the tip!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 30, 2009 at 7:56 pm

These sound great! I always buy giant stacks of corn tortillas and have trouble using them all. These would be so delicious with a giant bowl of fresh salsa from the garden!

Angelia McGowan August 30, 2009 at 9:13 pm

This looks really good. I make homemade tortilla chips all the time, but never thought to put chili powder or any seasoning on them, what a great idea!

Parita August 31, 2009 at 11:20 am

Wow thats so easy!

Marc @ NoRecipes August 31, 2009 at 11:37 am

Fresh tortilla chips are so much better than the store bought kind. Love your slightly healthier baked take:-)

oneshotbeyond September 1, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I really enjoy homemade chips!

MPG September 1, 2009 at 5:12 pm

These look so good and baked is even better! I have a chip monster at home and honestly, I don’t know why I haven’t made these because I make pita chips all the time. Plus, the good tortilla chips ridiculously over-priced in grocery stores…I’m definitely going to give this a try.

Jennifer September 1, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I usually make baked flour tortillas. I’ll have to try corn ones now too.

Dana September 1, 2009 at 9:56 pm

This is one of those, duh – why didn’t I think of that? recipes. I always have corn tortillas around and I rarely get around to using all of them. Instead of composting them, I’m trying this next time. Yum!

Cheri September 2, 2009 at 2:01 am

These look so good- making me hungry! I have only made flour ones before, will have to give these a try. Love your site.

Daly September 3, 2009 at 8:17 pm

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. The corn tortillas always go to waste and I had always thought I needed to fry them before they turn to crispy chips. I’m going to try this.
Question…why parchment paper? I have some but don’t really know how/when to use it or why over tin foil.

Alice September 6, 2009 at 3:33 am

Daly: I use parchment paper because it is easier to clean up. You can use foil too. :)

Kamran Siddiqi September 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I love making my own chips, especially tortilla chips! Super yumm! And with a side of mango salsa… Heaven!

Joy September 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I never would’ve considered making my own tortilla chips, but I think I’ll try it this weekend…with cinnamon and sugar. =D

The Double Dipped Life September 11, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Yum! These look too good to pass up! Thanks for the great tip!

MissyDew October 15, 2009 at 9:01 pm

We make these, too, except we are watching our fat grams so we just lightly spray them with Pam before baking them. They are wonderful.

A little fresh lime juice is also great to lightly sprinkle on them just before sticking them in the oven. And we use sea salt. Sooo yummy :)

Henriette August 3, 2010 at 5:53 am

That looks lovely, but do you use the store bought corn tortillas, or do you make them yourself?

I am allergic to wheat, and the only corn tortillas I have found in the shops are Old El Paso – loaded with wheat flour.

Have you got a recipe for gluten free Corn tortillas, that are easy to make?

alice August 4, 2010 at 7:48 am

Hi Henriette,
Here is a great GF corn tortillas recipe by my friend Jennie. Enjoy! http://www.injennieskitchen.com/2010/03/homemade-corn-tortillas.html

Durbin December 22, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I was making corn chips from tortillas 45 years ago in a restaurant where I worked. We deep fried them. I believe baking is much healthier. Back then I don’t think they were on the shelf yet.

shy February 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I have some leftover corn toritiallas in my fridge right now. I’m totally going to make these over the weekend!

Old Texan August 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Throw out perfectly good tortillas? Why? Buy the biggest bag you can. Simply place in the freezer. Then whenever you want the tortillas, remove from freezer. Peel the bag back a bit to get to the tortillas, lay on its side, then slip a knife point under the first tortilla,gently punch down and the tortilla pops right off. Do this for each tortilla you want. Then let them thaw for a few minutes and cook in whatever way you want. You dip them in a bowl of cool water to help them thaw. Dry them before you fry them in hot oil. They will keep for months in the freezer.

Susan March 19, 2014 at 11:30 am

Can you do this with normal tortillas or dose it have to be corn

Alice Currah March 21, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Hi Susan,
Yes, flour tortillas work too. Baking times will vary.