DIY: Easy Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

Last week I bought a big bag of corn tortillas.  I was lured in by the fact they were on sale.  After eating tacos for a few days I wanted to use them up before throwing them out.  As a result, I made baked tortilla chips.  They were ridiculously easy to make and our whole family loved them!  This is a great way to use left over tortillas for nachos, salsa, or snacking.  So if you find yourself with more tortillas than you know what to do with, here is a great recipe for you with step by step photos! Enjoy!

Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

Ingredients:

Corn Tortillas

Vegetable Oil

Salt

Chili Powder Seasoning (optional)

Garlic Salt (optional)

Parchment Paper

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat each side of a tortilla with vegetable oil. Stack oiled tortillas and cut in 8 pieces like pizza slices. Place chips on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Season chips with salt. You can also season with chili powder and garlic salt. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Using tongs or chopsticks, turn over each chip and bake for an additional 7 minutes. Remove from oven and serve. Chips are best when consumed within the same day. Enjoy!

oiledtortillachips DIY: Easy Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

cuttingtortillas DIY: Easy Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

prebakedtortillachips DIY: Easy Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

bakedtortillachipsoutoftheoven DIY: Easy Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

pin it button DIY: Easy Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

Comments

Nice. I like to add fresh garlic to mine. I’ve been making my own tortilla chips for several months now and I don’t think I’ll ever buy the store kind again. Unless it’s for a really big party. hehe…

Love this! Our family movie night is every Friday and we always make a huge platter of nachos, but I’ve been so annoyed with the rising price of a bag of tortilla chips lately! This is a really great way to still have our nachos, but save some money too. Plus, we’ll use the tortillas for wraps, so it’s getting used twice. thanks!
    ~Michelle

These look so good and baked is even better! I have a chip monster at home and honestly, I don’t know why I haven’t made these because I make pita chips all the time. Plus, the good tortilla chips ridiculously over-priced in grocery stores…I’m definitely going to give this a try.

This is one of those, duh – why didn’t I think of that? recipes. I always have corn tortillas around and I rarely get around to using all of them. Instead of composting them, I’m trying this next time. Yum!

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. The corn tortillas always go to waste and I had always thought I needed to fry them before they turn to crispy chips. I’m going to try this.
    Question…why parchment paper? I have some but don’t really know how/when to use it or why over tin foil.

6. MissyDew says

We make these, too, except we are watching our fat grams so we just lightly spray them with Pam before baking them. They are wonderful.

A little fresh lime juice is also great to lightly sprinkle on them just before sticking them in the oven. And we use sea salt. Sooo yummy :)

7. Henriette says

That looks lovely, but do you use the store bought corn tortillas, or do you make them yourself?

I am allergic to wheat, and the only corn tortillas I have found in the shops are Old El Paso – loaded with wheat flour.

Have you got a recipe for gluten free Corn tortillas, that are easy to make?

8. Durbin says

I was making corn chips from tortillas 45 years ago in a restaurant where I worked. We deep fried them. I believe baking is much healthier. Back then I don’t think they were on the shelf yet.

9. Old Texan says

Throw out perfectly good tortillas? Why? Buy the biggest bag you can. Simply place in the freezer. Then whenever you want the tortillas, remove from freezer. Peel the bag back a bit to get to the tortillas, lay on its side, then slip a knife point under the first tortilla,gently punch down and the tortilla pops right off. Do this for each tortilla you want. Then let them thaw for a few minutes and cook in whatever way you want. You dip them in a bowl of cool water to help them thaw. Dry them before you fry them in hot oil. They will keep for months in the freezer.